Disturbing news from PayFast

Gizmo

Catalyst
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
Trying to change some of my account details with payfast they told me casually that a new law has been processed that no Vaping / Tobacoo related goods are to be accpeted by payfast and other similar payment gateway services.

So in closing, our account looks like it will be closed as well as other vaping stores that use payfast..

It looks like the government is starting a banning process of vaping online first.

Please advise if anyone has any further information.

Trying to change some of my account details with payfast they told me casually that a new law has been processed that no Vaping / Tobacoo related goods are to be accpeted by payfast and other similar payment gateway services.

So in closing, our account looks like it will be closed as well as other vaping stores that use payfast..

It looks like the government is starting a banning process of vaping online first.

:eek:

This is terrible news!

Big Tabaco seems to be leaning HEAVY on all governments, all over the world! Some other countries have it way worse!

I REALLY hope all vendors can find a solution FAST to this!

Truly TERRIBLE news!

I haven't been too happy with PayFast - they struggle taking international credit card payments, which is why I use them.

@Gizmo check out PayGate, they have a monthly charge but seem far better...

I would ask them specifically What "Law" they are referring to, Or does "Law" just mean company policy to the support person....

That is shocking, no vape related purchases allowed to be made through PayFast.

I am sure there is some work around through a different service.

"Vape related" is quite broad ,,, scissors, tweezers, cotton, wires, batteries, drills, kitchen scales, screw drivers, plastic bottles, glass bottles, beakers, scales, syringes ,,, so I guess these "common" items will also not be allowed to be made through payfast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Tabaco seems to be leaning HEAVY on all governments, all over the world!

Why would big tobacco be behind this when millions of big tobacco cigalikes are sold online? It will affect big tobacco as much as it affects vaping. It's either a law by the govt (which should then be announced in the Government Gazette) or it will be policy by PayFast themselves. It is possible that there is some sort of blanket law designed to prevent the online purchase of age-restricted products and that PayFast are stopping it for fear of penalties. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case. What is the point of B&M vendors preventing sales of age-restricted products to minors if kids can just go online and buy them? "You must be 18 to use our products - Over 18/Under 18?" really doesn't achieve anything.

so I guess these "common" items will also not be allowed to be made through payfast

I think their restrictions will be per vendor, not per product. Afaik PayFast don't know what I've bought from a vaping vendor, only that I have bought from them.

Very logical move in that these type of laws only make sense to the current people in power who can't even control illegal firearms, human trafficking, illegal immigrants & corruption amongst their own ranks . So they make irrational laws to throw smoke screens to hide the incompetence & to look like a super power. Yes some form of regulation needs to implemented. So maybe I'll have to implement a monthly road trip around the country to collect my vape gear.

They will lose a lot of money seeing that they take 5% commission.

Things is going to get bad now.

So much for building the economy. Started by legislating the SOC's into bankruptcy with the PFMA and now moving on to small businesses. 1 - 1 = 2 after all.

The drop in income from "sin taxes" due to smokers converting to vaping was due to elicit a reaction. This may be the impetus if indeed such a law has been passed.

Email I received as confirmation from PayFast

Hi Warren,

As per our telephonic conversation earlier on today compliance has become a very important part of our operation and had to become very mindful of the rules, regulations and requirements of various bodies governing our operation including PASA, SARB, our partner banks and the card associations (VISA, Mastercard).

The sale of Tobacco and Tobacco products online in South Africa is illegal. The view on e-cigarettes was not quite as clear, them not strictly speaking being tobacco products.

This has been further clarified recently however, such they are considered to fall under the same legislation by the card associations and banks and more than likely soon by SA law as well.

This, unfortunately, means that we cannot support the sale of tobacco, tobacco products or e-cigarettes and their liquids going forward. This also includes any accessories directly related to smoking (hookah's, hubbly bubbly's etc.)

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------
Shane M :: PayFast (Pty) Ltd
https://www.payfast.co.za/
021 300 4455

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a really weird business decision. There's a law (uncited) which prohibits online sale of tobacco products. It doesn't cover ecig products, but we speculate that it will, at some unspecified time in the future. So we're removing our support for vaping businesses now, because ....???

Do you think he knows something we don't know?

I put my heart and soul in to what I do.... and some P03$ comes along and takes a nice big fat wet soggy Sh!t on it all! I'm so sick of being screwed over! :mad:

I have so many things running around in my head right now, so many things I want to say. But, what's the f&$K*& point!?

Thanks for the heads-up @Gizmo

Sounds like a really weird business decision. There's a law (uncited) which prohibits online sale of tobacco products. It doesn't cover ecig products, but we speculate that it will, at some unspecified time in the future. So we're removing our support for vaping businesses now, because ....???

Do you think he knows something we don't know?

@Crockett they have to as the card issuers have deemed it to be the same

Back