DIY Journey

Would to like hear the outcome of this one as I see you used only a small amount of custard

No problems with the custard :)

I need to play around more with the cream percentages though.

Mixed this SNV juice up today! YUM :D

Fuji Apple (FA)1%
Alphonso Mango2.5%
Super Sweet (CAP)0.3%
Sweetness (FLV)0.7%
Black Ice0.5%

I noticed today the mango flavour dropped :( Anyone have any ideas as to why? Not vapour's tongue, I can still taste other juices. Not sure if it’s my coil or the mango concentrate

Last edited:
Realised it's my coils acting up. So I went back to simple round wire. Much better! Over being disappointed by prebuilt coils.

Realised it's my coils acting up. So I went back to simple round wire. Much better! Over being disappointed by prebuilt coils.
While I haven’t used plain ol round wire in a long time I hear you about being disappointed with some of the fancy schmancy coils.

Sometimes they just suck! And pop. And spit. And won’t settle hotspots!!!

While I haven’t used plain ol round wire in a long time I hear you about being disappointed with some of the fancy schmancy coils.

What do you use Paul? Feeling defeated :(

I only use 20 gauge and 22 gauge Ni80 from Vapecartel for my RDL Nd DL setups lately. Spaced coils and around 0.15 to 0.22 ohm on all of them. Just using the last of my prebuilt mtl coils then that will probably also go back to round wire builds.

I only use 20 gauge and 22 gauge Ni80 from Vapecartel for my RDL Nd DL setups lately. Spaced coils and around 0.15 to 0.22 ohm on all of them. Just using the last of my prebuilt mtl coils then that will probably also go back to round wire builds.

Yeah, going to stick to my own wrapped builds as well! Best way to go!

What do you use Paul? Feeling defeated :(
Normally an alien of some sort. At the moment it’s the white collar nano aliens. They’re good but can be a pain. I space them and they tend to behave themselves a lot better.

I got a really nice looking fused clapton coil in the Requiem kit that I won. First install had this thing popping, spitting and crackling like mad. It is a 2.5 mm ID and I used a 2.5 mm cotton lace. I switched out the 2.5 lace for a 3 mm one and all the issues went away. Tight fit but did not deform the coil. Flavour is good but I would not say better than what I can build.

I use a 22awg Coil master comp wire for a lot of my RTA's. Super dependable as far as flavour goes and easiest wire I have to clean. I have rewicked some tanks more than a dozen times on the same coil. I find exotic pre built coils to be very flavorsome on a new install but degrade much quicker than DIY and are much harder to clean and keep in good shape.

1645598767185.png

I also use this in 24 and 26. The 26 I twist using mole grips and a screwdriver until it snaps, good and tight. Makes a good twisted coil for single coil atties and great for complex juices as it traps the juice in the coils. Again a dense wick in the centre and I get no spitting. For the price I can recommend.

I got a really nice looking fused clapton coil in the Requiem kit that I won. First install had this thing popping, spitting and crackling like mad. It is a 2.5 mm ID and I used a 2.5 mm cotton lace. I switched out the 2.5 lace for a 3 mm one and all the issues went away. Tight fit but did not deform the coil. Flavour is good but I would not say better than what I can build.

I use a 22awg Coil master comp wire for a lot of my RTA's. Super dependable as far as flavour goes and easiest wire I have to clean. I have rewicked some tanks more than a dozen times on the same coil. I find exotic pre built coils to be very flavorsome on a new install but degrade much quicker than DIY and are much harder to clean and keep in good shape.
i used to only use 22g kanthal YEARS ago in my RDA's (i never used to use rta's) but then moved onto fancy coils and kinda stayed on them for my tanks. i do have a spool of 22g Ni80 at home, maybe i will give that a go and see how i go.

i agree from the holding it shape and ease of cleaning points, they really are a breeze compared to exotic!

My Dvarw clones, I have a choice of simple round wire, usually the Coilmaster 22AWG comp wire, or a single Ni80 clapton wire. Both give really good flavour. The difference between to two is that the clapton wire gets gunked up quicker, is more difficult to clean and rewick and if you are not careful even a tooth brush can snap a wrapped wire. Same with my intake's. So while it is great that we try the DIY flavours, if the set up is wrong we are going to be disappointed.

More so if we look for consistency for our all day vapes. My diy VTR and Red pill one shots taste the same day after day, this is what I am looking for. I even spend a little time pulsing and bedding in new cotton before I put the tank together so I don't get that new cotton taste.

My Dvarw clones, I have a choice of simple round wire, usually the Coilmaster 22AWG comp wire, or a single Ni80 clapton wire. Both give really good flavour. The difference between to two is that the clapton wire gets gunked up quicker, is more difficult to clean and rewick and if you are not careful even a tooth brush can snap a wrapped wire. Same with my intake's. So while it is great that we try the DIY flavours, if the set up is wrong we are going to be disappointed.

More so if we look for consistency for our all day vapes. My diy VTR and Red pill one shots taste the same day after day, this is what I am looking for. I even spend a little time pulsing and bedding in new cotton before I put the tank together so I don't get that new cotton taste.
new cotton taste can really ruin a day cant it!

Not really DIY but, I'm excited! Waiting for a Hadaly, Goon 1.5, Wasp Nano and a Limelight Squonker :D

GUAVA:

So I got Pink Guava FLV to try, I love it!!!! For me it has almost a grapefruit taste on the exhale which is great, since I do love grapefruit. I paired it with CAP sweet lychee and pear. Thankfully I did see it's a very strong flavour, so I only added 0.4% to my mix and it's enough.

GUAVA:

So I got Pink Guava FLV to try, I love it!!!! For me it has almost a grapefruit taste on the exhale which is great, since I do love grapefruit. I paired it with CAP sweet lychee and pear. Thankfully I did see it's a very strong flavour, so I only added 0.4% to my mix and it's enough.

Just watched a Noted vid on Guava, so it IS pretty much grapefruit lol. Love this flavour though, one of my favs now!

This is so true. I’ve now realised DIY juice highlights what setups DON’T work. I’ve been getting so frustrated, so I’m keen to receive some RDAs today and see what happens!

Commercial juice will almost always work in any setup. I think the real test as to whether a setup is good or not is a DIY juice in it.

I disagree, I have tried many commercial juices that are just fails. Some work well in RTA's low wattage and fail horribly in RDA's with high wattage. TFM kindly sent me a six pack of Milkshakes
https://www.theflavourmill.co.za/collections/milky-avenue

I struggled with each one of them in a low wattage RTA. However, they all shined in RDA's with the Vanilla and Chocolate being 10/10. They really are that good. A long slow draw from an RTA with a 0.5 @ 30W build is very different to a short sharp inhale on a 0.2 @ 60W.

I am terrible, there are times when I fancy some Banana or orange or ... and just mix up something from my stash, usually around 20 ml or so, just enough for an evening. Most of the time I don't even note the recipe but 95% of the time I will use an RDA squonk or dripper. I keep the mixes simple and rarely get a fail.

Simple mix I am really enjoying:

Pink Guava FLV - 3%
Lemon Lime CAP - 2%
Super Sweet CAP - 0.3%

Busy trying to perfect a recipe I really like. It has fig in it. Letting the latest tweaked version steep and will see how it turns out. Once I am happy with it, I'll share the recipe here :)

Still loving the Wasp Nano rda! I've tried the other 4 rdas I recently got, but I don't enjoy them nearly as much. The Wasp, to me, gives a balanced vape taste for juices and just super flavour overall. Will collect my Hadaly tomorrow from Postnet!

Another fruit recipe I made that I am thoroughly enjoying:

Yellow Peach CAP3%
Indian Mango FA1.5%
Apricot INW2%
Super Sweet CAP0.5%

Just to talk about the Hadaly RDA, this little flavour banger beautifies everything you put in it. I adore the neutral, balanced result it gives for every juice, by far my fav RDA to date with the Wasp Nano close behind. I'm enjoying all my DIY mixes, everything is just going so well!

I'm a real fan of old school dripping though, lol. I did give squonking another try but it's not quite the same for me. Maybe at another time in the future >:)

Proud of this recipe! Highly recommend you try it :)

Fig FLV1.5%
Pear FW2.1%
Sweet Lychee CAP1.2%
White Peach FA1.4%
Super Sweet0.2%

Back