DIY Meetups Gauteng

What would you like to get out of this group

• Total voters
Please continue sharing the DIY knowledge gained - in the spirit of the forum - for all to share.

Sharing? No. No one can be told what a "DIY Meetup" is. You have to come and see for yourself. Come on, @Silver , take a red pill.

Great planning @Bunnypoison, really impressive.
Just an idea for DIY noobs (like myself) attending: Bring some 5ml dripper bottles and RDAs if you can.They make mixing and trying small samples and single flavours very easy.

Sharing? No. No one can be told what a "DIY Meetup" is. You have to come and see for yourself. Come on, @Silver , take a red pill.

Just an idea for DIY noobs (like myself) attending: Bring some 5ml dripper bottles and RDAs if you can.They make mixing and trying small samples and single flavours very easy.
We would love to have @Silver at one of our meets :), I would like to post a summary and insight of our meets on the forum to show others what we do and share the knowledge gained and give a bit of insight to those considering the DIY way. One of the main reasons I wanted to start this thread is to support growth in the DIY mixing community as I have realised that it is in the majority a solo mad scientists game. As we ourselves don't know how DIY meets will go, our first meeting will be our foundation and you will help to set it, much excitement!

RDA's and dripper bottles are a fantastic idea, I will add it to the event notice :)

For anyone setting out on the DIY path, a dripper or three is essential. Sampling testers and freshly-mixed juices with a tank is a PITA. I don't know where you'll find 5ml bottles but 10ml bottles are hardly in short supply for DIYers. Those 10ml concentrates do tend to get used up over time. ;)

5ml bottles found @ West Pack, Lifestyle Garden Randburg shoping center. 5, 30, 50, and 100ml available sizes.
Someone mentioned having a collection for concentrates for the group. If we actually have an abundance of concentrates, we could look into a small collection for 5ml dripper bottles as they can be cleaned and used at every event.

We would love to have @Silver at one of our meets :), I would like to post a summary and insight of our meets on the forum to show others what we do and share the knowledge gained and give a bit of insight to those considering the DIY way. One of the main reasons I wanted to start this thread is to support growth in the DIY mixing community as I have realised that it is in the majority a solo mad scientists game. As we ourselves don't know how DIY meets will go, our first meeting will be our foundation and you will help to set it, much excitement!
Can't wait to read about it! Take pics for those of us stuck in KZN!

Someone mentioned having a collection for concentrates for the group. If we actually have an abundance of concentrates, we could look into a small collection for 5ml dripper bottles as they can be cleaned and used at every event.
@Bunnypoison I have a few 5ml I can donate

We currently have only 2 available spaces left, I can't believe how quick interest in this grew. Thank you everyone for the support in this venture, with such an amazing group of people I believe this will become a huge success! :campeon2:

We currently have only 2 available spaces left, I can't believe how quick interest in this grew. Thank you everyone for the support in this venture, with such an amazing group of people I believe this will become a huge success! :campeon2:

Good luck guys, I'm sure it will be awesome! Sorry, can't make it but will be there in spirit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The First meetup will be
4th February 2017
14:00 - 17:00

Greenstone Hill - East Rand

For those interested to attend, please send me a direct message for further details

Do:
1) Bring your own mixing equipment, Concentrates, juices, RDA's and drippers for tastings
2) Bring along your favourite recipes
3) Make a list of questions, inquiries or recommendations you would like to ask fellow DIYers or give input on improving future meetups
4) Bring along Vapes you are proud of and want to share
5) Bring a bag of chips or a soda
6) Come with a can-do attitude :campeon:

Don't:
1) Be afraid to ask questions
2) Feel unsure or unprepared that this might be for you, this is to help each other out in the long run.
3) Bring along extra people that were not communicated beforehand (limited space)

:aplastao: MOST IMPORTANTLY LETS HAVE FUN :aplastao:
I would like to find out what flavour profiles you DIYers would like us to discuss at our meetup this Saturday eg. Different strawberries, creams etc. As mentioned before, I will post a summary of our meetup's, discussions and findings to the thread

Yeah I think this specific 'recipe' was a bit of a tall order for a first attempt. but this question still goes, and at least from what I can see I could be on the right track.

This question is a difficult one to answer, I was also thinking about that as this might be a good topic for discussion on the JHB DIY Meet ( @Bunnypoison & @craigb )

So after all comments made, this is how I would go about it if I found / made a fruit juice/smoothie (for a easier example) that I like:

Straberry Lemonade
What flavors:
- Strawberry
- Lemonade
- Something Sour
- Something Cool (Icy)

What dominates:
- Strawberry

Who will these flavors interact?:
- Strawberry is both Ripe and Fresh flavor
- Lemonade will overpower strawberry if its higher than 4%

My 1st Guesstimate:
- 3% Strawberry (for Fresh Flavor)
- 2% Strawberry ripe (For that deep Strawberry taste)
- 2% Lemonade (Coz there is Lemonade)
- 0.5% Dragon fruit (To 'POP' it all and for that soury fruity)
- 0.2% Polar Blast (For the Coolnessss)
....... This actually Looks like it could be a great one!!

Would mix this together and steep for a day or two to taste and Adjust then make V2 Batch.
Lol, guess I have just refined my way of doing it!

As @Andre and @Zodiac said, trial and Error.
Also you would need a good flavor profile of at least most of the flavors ingredients you want to work with, because as mentioned, these flavors change when mixed with certain others and something I have learned is that Mint/Koolada have to be in very low % otherwise it will just overwhelm most other Flavors.

You just gave me the best idea that might also solve your problem. As we will all be meeting and have our ingredients, we should have this as a mini recipe challenge at each event. The end juice product discussed as Strawberry lemonade, @alex1501 bringing 5ml dropper bottles and splitting up in teams trying to get the most accurate version of the juice. When every teams creation gets tested on the day and again at the next meet, we should have at least one mix that fulfills the criteria of tasting like Strawberry lemonade and we can have a look at what that team did to get to the final product.
I would like to to to know the treads thoughts on this.

I am so excited to report that our first meetup plans have been going very well, better than expected actually. I cannot wait to report back on the event and with the help of everyone involved we have been able to finalize a rough agenda:

4th Feb Meetup

* Get to know fellow DIYers
* Discuss concentrate juice flavour profiles - Strawberry (main focus) Others in general
* Mix up a custom juice from taste - Strawberry Lemonade - @Dietz recommendation
* Mix recipes together from the flavour stash made available to all
* Taste and critique each others creations and trade if you want

I am very excited to host the first event and hope those that will be missing out will join in the many more to come.
200.gif

Back