DIY n00b questions

I was a smokers and had been smoking since 2005, and I too am still alive to tell the tale ;)
Sent from my HUAWEI CRR-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A quick question - Hope this is the right place

Alot of recipes refer to drops. Now from what I understand a drop is a unit of measure, like cm/mm, g/mg etc.

So that would lead me to believe that regardless of the SG of the liquid being measured - water at 1.0 and VG at 1.261 for example - the drop size or volume of the drop would be the same.

An Analogy would be so

20Ltr of water = 20Kg
20Ltr of Paint = 24Kg

Although the SG is clearly different, the volume is the same.

The accepted measurement of drops (from what I've been able to ascertain) is 20drops = 1ml, more or less.

My question is where a formula/recipe says 10 drops, would I not then be able to say that 10drops is = to 0.5ml, regardless of drop viscosity?

Trying to figure it out mainly because on occasion I add a couple of drops to a mix from the bottle to get the right taste but don't have a scale yet, and want to recreate the recipe without having to make a batch and then add drops from the bottle.

Any thoughts or ideas - Apart from buying a scale just yet. (Want to get better mod first lol)

Thank you kindly

Unfortunately, drop size is determined partly by the dropper nozzle, partly by the liquid. It is the least precise of all the measurements available. What recipe do you have that only works with drops? The recipe creator should at least provide an equivalent ml or % amount for each ingredient.

It's my own ones

I'll make something and if I'm not happy add a few drops till it gets to an approximation of what I'm looking for. I'm being lazy, I could measure out a ml and then drop the same amount but looking for a shortcut.

Will have to buy a scale - long run it'll def be a better option.

Thanks bud, was hoping it was a standard type thing but will have to suck it up and keep on playing.
Again - Thanks

Hi @Piratical Cookie
I think the rule of thumb is 20 drops equals 1ml but the dropper does make a big difference

If you use the same dropper nozzle it should be fairly consistent though

I have been adding mentholto my juices for quite a long time and i also use drops
But i use the same dropper so its quite consistent

A quick question - Hope this is the right place

Alot of recipes refer to drops. Now from what I understand a drop is a unit of measure, like cm/mm, g/mg etc.

So that would lead me to believe that regardless of the SG of the liquid being measured - water at 1.0 and VG at 1.261 for example - the drop size or volume of the drop would be the same.

An Analogy would be so

20Ltr of water = 20Kg
20Ltr of Paint = 24Kg

Although the SG is clearly different, the volume is the same.

The accepted measurement of drops (from what I've been able to ascertain) is 20drops = 1ml, more or less.

My question is where a formula/recipe says 10 drops, would I not then be able to say that 10drops is = to 0.5ml, regardless of drop viscosity?

Trying to figure it out mainly because on occasion I add a couple of drops to a mix from the bottle to get the right taste but don't have a scale yet, and want to recreate the recipe without having to make a batch and then add drops from the bottle.

Any thoughts or ideas - Apart from buying a scale just yet. (Want to get better mod first lol)

Thank you kindly
In my experience there are more like 30 to 35 drops per ml. Maybe PG has a different viscosity or something.

I used to use the drop method before I got a scale, so for a while I counted drops and compared it to the scale's measurements. It mostly came within 30 to 35 drops. But varied quite a bit depending on the nozzles.

Someone mentioned that sometimes the scale does not pick up small drops. What I usually do to determine the weight of one drop is to pour 5 consecutive drops which equals 0.10g thus 1 drop = 0.02g. So to get 0.20g would require 10 drops, etc. This is my experience with only using the dropper bottles from blckvapour. One also need to make sure that the surface where the scale is on is solid and stable and surface does not bend/wobble when resting your hands/elbows on table. I noticed that the scale measures jumps up and down when I pickup a 500ml vg bottle or move something (I have those cheap in-mekaar-slaan-tafel from Game) :/.

Hi Guys

A quick question

If I mix my Nic in with the flavour concentrates and let that steep for the required time, would that mean that I then just mix my flavours+nic into whichever carrier I'm using and the need for steeping falls away?

Anyone tried this? Does the full flavour react with the VG/PG as well as the nic in order to get the "matured" product or would steeping the NIc in the Flavour concentrates do the job. I've had a look but can't seem to find anywhere this has been discussed.

Thanks in advance

As always, greatly appreciated

Hi Guys

A quick question

If I mix my Nic in with the flavour concentrates and let that steep for the required time, would that mean that I then just mix my flavours+nic into whichever carrier I'm using and the need for steeping falls away?

Anyone tried this? Does the full flavour react with the VG/PG as well as the nic in order to get the "matured" product or would steeping the NIc in the Flavour concentrates do the job. I've had a look but can't seem to find anywhere this has been discussed.

Thanks in advance

Steeping would still be required.

Concentrates need to steep so that the different molecules can bind together within the PG and VG. Nicotine is essentially just another concentrate carried either in PG or VG. If anything nicotine could be added last in the process.

There is no short cut in steeping. Making pre-blends and later adding your bases and nicotine can make a marginal difference, although there is only anecdotal evidence to this effect so far.

Patience is the primary requirement of DIYing. Waiting for a juice to mature is part of the enjoyment.

Thanks huff, thought as much but wanted some input from the pros.

Much obliged :)

Sent from my T1-701u using Tapatalk

Hi Guys

A quick question

Thanks in advance

I do pre-blends of the concentrates of ADV juices. Primarily because it is then much faster to quickly mix up a final juice (adding PG,VG and Nic to the set percentage of a pre-blend). And yes, steeping is cut by about 20 % in this way. Once my pre-blends are steeped, I mix, shake and then just let it stand for 24 hours before it is ready to be vaped.

Back