DIY Noob mistakes

Thanks for the tips and warnings guys, my next move will be the scale. Been experimenting with single flavours so far, made 5 x 50ml witch hat bottles of fruit flavours. Now after a week of ripening, I am mixing the fruits into 10ml samplers till I get my perfect recipes. The one bottle I do have steeping still is an amoretti biscotti blend of my own imaginings. Won't lie, its smelling freaking amazing so far... I have been doing well so far and no disasters as yet...

For those that have used @Paulie s e-liquid in the past or bottles that are similar, the caps (witches hat) from those bottles fit on the BLCK Vapour and Sky Blue PG/VG bottles. This makes adding PG/VG, when mixing by weight, a breeze.

I`m still starting out and finding my way so while experimenting I do not use NIC. I did order 100ml NIC and decanted it into 10ml dropper bottles. It actually came out to 9 bottles as I filled it with about 11ml each. The bottles are labelled, packed into a zip lock bag and stored in the fridge. So when I start to use NIC in my mixes I only need to take out one 11ml bottle at a time. I’m currently vaping 1.5mg at the moment so one 11ml bottle should be good for about 240/250 ml.
Literally did this exact thing and those witch hat caps are amazing for pouring vg and pg

These are amazing as well. I will keep everyone posted, I found a plastics manufacturing company with it but I haven't confirmed their minimum order yet.

Fantastic! Please just check the 'neck' size, i.e. where the nozzle goes in... I bought some recently (from a forum member) and the neck is so small, I can't get the e-liquid into the freakin bottle! It is so narrow, I can't fit any juice in there...have to use a needle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am also on the lookout for the perfect refilling bottle and haven't found it yet. My problem is that I own two tanks which pose unique challenges in refilling. The first is the Avo24 with its tiny refill slot. My 50ml witch's hat nozzle won't fit into that little slot, a 30ml standard plastic dropper bottle's nozzle will. However, the standard plastic dropper nozzle is not long enough to reach down to the refill slot in my Theorem tank. My Limitless Plus, Melo 2, Merlin and dripper all have easy refill slots that take almost anything. But finding something that works with both the Avo and Theorem is a nightmare. I think the best solution would be a Unicorn bottle but with a loooong and thin plastic nozzle.

The two on the right have good length to fit the Theorem but I suspect, like my witch's hat bottles, that they'll be too thick to fit in an an Avo slot. The two in the middle will fit the Avo and would be good if they are long enough to reach into a Theorem, but I suspect they won't be. I think the two bottles on the left would be just about perfect for me, although they could still even extend the length of the nozzle by a few mm. But now where to source them? I took this image from an American website, haven't seen these particular bottles on offer locally.

The two on the right have good length to fit the Theorem but I suspect, like my witch's hat bottles, that they'll be too thick to fit in an an Avo slot.

I bought those on the far right - it was for a bargain so I took 20 but cant use them (until I figure out how to fill them). You'll notice that their necks are much narrower than the rest. When it comes to filling, I find it virtually impossible to get juice in there... I used a syringe but it was so messy that I lost about 5ml in the process... The actual nozzle is brilliant and fits just about anywhere but to get juice in there is a bit tricky....

Good hunting...!

I bought those on the far right - it was for a bargain so I took 20 but cant use them (until I figure out how to fill them). You'll notice that their necks are much narrower than the rest. When it comes to filling, I find it virtually impossible to get juice in there... I used a syringe but it was so messy that I lost about 5ml in the process... The actual nozzle is brilliant and fits just about anywhere but to get juice in there is a bit tricky....

Good hunting...!
Not sure if they are the same as the NCV bottles from a while back. I used to recycle those for further use by pulling the plunger out of a 20ml syringe, sticking on a silicone tube on to the other end, fill up the syringe, put the plunger back and press. It takes a little effort but it works without wastage. I used a spare feed tube that came with my REO. You must also leave a small gap between the tube and the inner rim of the bottle so that the displaced air can escape. Fill slowly and there is no spillage.

Not sure if they are the same as the NCV bottles from a while back. I used to recycle those for further use by pulling the plunger out of a 20ml syringe, sticking on a silicone tube on to the other end, fill up the syringe, put the plunger back and press. It takes a little effort but it works without wastage. I used a spare feed tube that came with my REO. You must also leave a small gap between the tube and the inner rim of the bottle so that the displaced air can escape. Fill slowly and there is no spillage.

Thanks, will give it a go!!!

The best advise I can give any noob DIY'er is get a scale.
Don't waste time buying needles, you just need one with a thick, blunt tip for your Nic (and even then you could decant your nic into a 100ml HDPE bottle and be done with needles altogether)

Noob here: Why do you need a needle for nic if you have a scale?
Also what is the best nic to use? Currently Im using 36mg nic.

Noob here: Why do you need a needle for nic if you have a scale?
Also what is the best nic to use? Currently Im using 36mg nic.
36mg nic is the standard round these parts. You can get 100mg on special order, but I am happy staying with 36mg

@Junior, most nicotine comes in wide-necked bottles. I don't use a needle, I decant into smaller dropper bottles. But many still prefer using a needle to dispense, even when mixing by weight.

With regards to nic, I don't think you have much choice. Apparently almost all our nic comes from the same supplier, and in 36mg strength. Nic brand has never bothered me, I buy the cheapest I can find and have never had any problems. Some have had problems with peppery nic, though. So I guess it's a case of trying several different types and determining which one works for you.

@Junior, most nicotine comes in wide-necked bottles. I don't use a needle, I decant into smaller dropper bottles. But many still prefer using a needle to dispense, even when mixing by weight.

With regards to nic, I don't think you have much choice. Apparently almost all our nic comes from the same supplier, and in 36mg strength. Nic brand has never bothered me, I buy the cheapest I can find and have never had any problems. Some have had problems with peppery nic, though. So I guess it's a case of trying several different types and determining which one works for you.

Thank you for the advice @RichJB.

I use disposable 3ml pipettes for the the nic. Another option if you don't want to decant them into dropper bottles

Yeah, I still use pipettes for the few flavours (Vapeowave primarily) that come in glass bottles rather than droppers. I could and should decant them into 10ml dropper bottles but I'm too lazy. They're flavours I rarely use, anyway.

And what is the deal with oxidising your juice being a bad thing? And over mixing? I normally give my juice a warm bath and then i shake the crap out of it, till its like milky white. Is that bad?

Sent from my E2333 using Tapatalk

If shaking the crap out of your juice is a bad thing, then Wayne is doing it all wrong. Given the unlikelihood of that, shake away. :D

The only DIY mistake I made and fairly often is pretending to listen to my wife while mixing digital fractions of concentrates. Often I use too much. :)
Made a point of stopping, pretending to listen and then continuing when she leaves.

Okay I'm still a total noob but have successfully make Bronut!!!
1. Thinking I could make 12mg nic 70/30 vg/pg mix, with 36mg Nic in pg...
2. Using 0.5mg Tiramisu instead of 0.05mg... luckily noticed before I tested it
3. Using 5ml bottle, that looks very similar to a 10ml bottle, and wondering why I can fill up with required mg of VG

Last edited:
Okay I'm still a total noob but have successfully make Bronut!!!
1. Thinking I could make 12mg nic 70/30 vg/pg mix, with 36mg Nic in pg...
2. Using 0.5mg Tiramisu instead of 0.05mg... luckily noticed before I tested it
3. Using 5ml bottle, that looks very similar to a 10ml bottle, and wondering why I can fill up with required mg of VG

Still new to DIY biggest mistake was buying concentrates for only 2 recipe's the reviews was great but I am not liking it at all so now I have to buy more concentrates.

Biggest mistake I have made when I first started was mixing with a scale that had no decimals cause I thought the difference wouldn't have an impact

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back