DIY... taking the plunge.

Ok im busy homing my skills... wax on, wax off....
I down loaded a calc. App and gave it a bash. I used the example as posted by @RichJB ( DIY Prime ), but i do not get the same result... is my calculator up to bollie ?
Screenshot_20190102-191040_Liquid calculator.jpg

Hi @Gringo - I dont know that app - the inputs you used seem right to me
But maybe someone else can spot something

That looks right to me, @Gringo. The only thing I'd suggest is changing your weights. You seem to be using the PG weight of 1.036g per ml for your flavours as well. I'd change it to 1ml = 1g as that is what almost all recipe developers use. It doesn't make a big difference but it does help you to get the exact juice that the recipe developer created. Keep your actual PG weight at 1.036, though, as well as your nic weight. Just change the flavour weight.

Last edited:
You didn’t get the same result as what @Gringo?
Rich used an example in his write up The DIY Prime... i input the same values to see if i get the same results as his example given.

Ok im busy homing my skills... wax on, wax off....
I down loaded a calc. App and gave it a bash. I used the example as posted by @RichJB ( DIY Prime ), but i do not get the same result... is my calculator up to bollie ?
View attachment 155026
@Gringo , checked on mine, it calculates the concentrates ml and % correct, and the nic, but the PG VG ratio is off. Can’t figure it out yet. Did you load the Nic as PG or VG or does it not give an option, that would explain PG being about 2.5 ml higher than mine. But then where did the nic go? Or is one of the concentrates loaded as VG based? Here are my results:

Nic 2,5 ml 2,59 g
Pg 5.9 ml 6,12 g
VG 18 ml 22,60 g
A1 2,4 ml 2,49 g
A2 1,2 ml 1,24 g

Something seems of with the ratio calc I.i. 30 ml x 60% = 18 ml, and that should be constant if all flavours and nic is PG based.

That looks right to me, @Gringo. The only thing I'd suggest is changing your weights. You seem to be using the PG weight of 1.036g per ml for your flavours as well. I'd change it to 1ml = 1g as that is what almost all recipe developers use. It doesn't make a big difference but it does help you to get the exact juice that the recipe developer created. Keep your actual PG weight at 1.036, though.
Cool !!! Thank you ... i will check on the app if it can be changed, but as you say... it is very close.

@Gringo , checked on mine, it calculates the concentrates ml and % correct, and the nic, but the PG VG ratio is off. Can’t figure it out yet. Did you load the Nic as PG or VG or does it not give an option, that would explain PG being about 2.5 ml higher than mine. But then where did the nic go? Or is one of the concentrates loaded as VG based? Here are my results:

Nic 2,5 ml 2,59 g
Pg 5.9 ml 6,12 g
VG 18 ml 22,60 g
A1 2,4 ml 2,49 g
A2 1,2 ml 1,24 g

Something seems of with the ratio calc I.i. 30 ml x 60% = 18 ml, and that should be constant if all flavours and nic is PG based.
Nic was loaded as 100% PG.... see below Nic Shot.... it gives you option of Shot %

Nic 2,5 ml 2,59 g
Pg 5.9 ml 6,12 g
VG 18 ml 22,60 g
A1 2,4 ml 2,49 g
A2 1,2 ml 1,24 g

Could thar 2ml difference in PG make or break the outcome .

That looks right to me, @Gringo. The only thing I'd suggest is changing your weights. You seem to be using the PG weight of 1.036g per ml for your flavours as well. I'd change it to 1ml = 1g as that is what almost all recipe developers use. It doesn't make a big difference but it does help you to get the exact juice that the recipe developer created. Keep your actual PG weight at 1.036, though, as well as your nic weight. Just change the flavour weight.
Very informative @RichJB , it’s going to mean I will have to recalculate all my concentrate weights:eek: , going to take a bit of time, but thanks for the info. Shows that you are never too old to learn. Maybe I should go and read the DIY intro that you did, who knows, I might learn some more. My excuse is going to be that you did it after I started mixing.:rolleyes:

Just shows you @Gringo , that’s what makes this community great, everyone will share their knowledge, no two ways about it.

It doesn't make a big difference, @Room Fogger. But if the recipe developer assumes 1ml = 1g, I just stick with that for the sake of simplicity.

This also applies to VG-based flavours. Quite a few of the Liquid Barn flavours have at least some percentage of VG in the base. Trying to work out the exact weight per ml of those flavours would be a nightmare. But 1ml = 1g works universally and ensures that you and the recipe developer are on the same page.

Could thar 2ml difference in PG make or break the outcome .

It's not right, that's for sure. Your calculator is working out the final juice as 15.84ml of PG with 14.16ml of PG and PG-based ingredients. That's not 60/40. The VG should be 18ml or around 22.5g. It's hard to know where the error is, perhaps something in the setup? It appears to be using the correct weights for VG and PG.

Are you committed to a phone app for mixing? If you can do PC, I would go with this one.

Can anyone perhapsychology help this brother out with a lekka android app.

Thanks for all the help thus far... so i down loaded a new app.. and this one seems to calculate the same as yours...Screenshot_20190103-085219.png

Also think i figured out why the other calculator had a different PG/VG result... it tookmin concidiration that the Nic shot was also PG based.... thus adding the Nic PG base mix to the 40% PG base

Thanks for all the help thus far... so i down loaded a new app.. and this one seems to calculate the same as yours...View attachment 155048
Great news @Gringo , good luck with your mixing, it is a great “hobby” and a great stress reliever for me as well. Many happy clouds to you on your own mixed juices going forward.

Back