DIY... taking the plunge.

Gringo

Chillin:the art at doing nothing while not bored
LV

Awards
Morning ...
So the next step in my Vaping evolution is DIY.
And where better place to start than here as you guru's are always willing to share.( i have been reading up on DIY on the forum and have a pretty good idea of what i need to do and where to start )
I am based in Durban and was was thinking that it would be a good idea to start with my local shop as supplier... ( Sir Vape )
I went on their site and had i look at the product they supply, so based on that the first bit of advise or info i need from the fellow members would be...
Could any of you suggest two or three recipes ... maybe a fruity and desert or candy ?
That way i can make up my list, pop in there and do some shopping...
Thanks for the help.

Hey @Gringo

Welcome to the fun part of vaping. DIY is awesome.

I’m also from Durbs and have bought a bit from sir vape but have found over the years of DIYing that the dedicated DIY vendors have a much bigger selection and always have what you looking for generally.

How fruity or deserty do you want?

Hey @Gringo

I’m also from Durbs and have bought a bit from sir vape but have found over the years of DIYing that the dedicated DIY vendors have a much bigger selection and always have what you looking for generally.

Thanks bud

Hey @Gringo

To give you an idea... im a big fan of Sippy Ice, Frosties, blueberry ( the one ) dounut ... also love Gumz...

Hi @Gringo

I would suggest you start off by picking a few recipes you like
I assume yoe have seen the recipe threads pinned to the top of the E-Liquid Recipes subforum?
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/e-Liquid-recipes/

Then finding a vendor that stocks the flavours you need in those recipes
If Sir Vape has them all then thats great

Anytime. The more you ask the more you know :)

What kind of fruits do you like?

Have you looked at the DIY fruit recipes thread yet?
Yebo... but its like over my head... seems i will have to buy products from all over the country. That is why i thought if someone is making use of Sir Vape products, i can make up a small list, pop in there and buy i as required. This will be a good learning curve untill i know what i want.

I also just started, ok I started almost everything there is to do in vaping the last two months>:).
On the mixing side, get a good scale that can do 0,01g. It just help a lot with the concentrates. Further dont worry to much to be excact on all the measurements, just like cooking and baking a bit more or less, is not going to make a huge difference.
I like to use 60ml chubby gorilla bottle to mix in, ok actually use the unicorn 60ml, as the chubby gorilla ones got funny plastic. The reason for that is in 60ml you need 5ml nic for 3mg or 10ml for 6mg nic. So I use a syringe for the nic, it make it easy, dont even have to wear gloves if you carefull. Normally I decide like Im going to do 2 or 3 bottle, so first I fill the 3 bottle with the desired nic and get the nic part over, clean hand etc, and then mix the rest in the different bottles.

As for recipes. I dont know how to link them, but look on mixing thread for Prickly Victory, very simple and good.
A mixed berries and menthol also works. Dont have a recipe, I just mixe as I like, sometimes a bit lime with mixed berries etc. This is not rocket science

Yebo... but its like over my head... seems i will have to buy products from all over the country. That is why i thought if someone is making use of Sir Vape products, i can make up a small list, pop in there and buy i as required. This will be a good learning curve untill i know what i want.

If one says Tfa strawberry and you can only get Cap strawberry, It will not be 100% the same, but also should not be horrible
Remember most of these recipes is done by guys who used what they had, not to say their strawberry was the best

Prickly Victory is great for someone new to DIY. (as suggested by @Jean claude Vaaldamme ) It is very simple but tastes great.

1% INW Cactus
4% CAP Sweet Guava

The problem for you is that these concentrates are not available from Sir Vape. As @Paul33 said a dedicated DIY supplier is probably easier to deal with as it is one stop shopping. You could try https://blckvapour.co.za/ . They have most of the products and their prices will make up for the courier costs if you are buying several items. For example on TFA concentrates you will pay less for 30ml than you will for 20ml at some other shops.

Good luck. DIY is great. I hope you have consulted @RichJB 's DIY Primer it is the go-to document for new and relatively experienced DIYers.

https://www.ecigssa.co.za/a-diy-primer.t44442/

Prickly Victory is great for someone new to DIY. (as suggested by @Jean claude Vaaldamme ) It is very simple but tastes great.

1% INW Cactus
4% CAP Sweet Guava

The problem for you is that these concentrates are not available from Sir Vape. As @Paul33 said a dedicated DIY supplier is probably easier to deal with as it is one stop shopping. You could try https://blckvapour.co.za/ . They have most of the products and their prices will make up for the courier costs if you are buying several items. For example on TFA concentrates you will pay less for 30ml than you will for 20ml at some other shops.

Good luck. DIY is great. I hope you have consulted @RichJB 's DIY Primer it is the go-to document for new and relatively experienced DIYers.

https://www.ecigssa.co.za/a-diy-primer.t44442/
To add to this good advice I must add:

Ask questions. Best way to learn and definitely no stupid questions when it comes to DIY. it’s fun and easy but also easy to make some nasty juices if you not careful.

To add to this good advice I must add:

Ask questions. Best way to learn and definitely no stupid questions when it comes to DIY. it’s fun and easy but also easy to make some nasty juices if you not careful.
Ooh that is so true. My mission is to make a nice wicks bubblegum/menthol juice. Cant really find a recipe for that. I have had about ten tries and man most of them are nasty. But one day maybe Ill get it right

Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY @Gringo . It can seem a bit daunting in the beginning but once you start it is wonderfully rewarding. Here is my 2c worth for you to start:
  • Read @RichJB diy primer before doing anything else.
  • Then go and look for recipies in the diy section or on the net that you think you will like. Try and get recipies that share the majority of ingredients so you have to buy LESS on your first order.
  • https://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/e-Liquid-recipes/ , http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ , https://alltheflavors.com/, here are some links to go searching.
  • Use a good mixing calculator to get your recipy to your specs and liking with regards to volume and nic strength.
  • Get a scale as this will make it a lot easier.
  • Make 10, 20 or 30 ml batches to test before you go big, less to throw away if something goes wrong, or if it’s a lemon.
  • Concentrate on what you do while mixing.
  • Sit back staring at the bottles while they steep for a week:D, not really but the wait is the worst part, then vape and enjoy.
  • Ask as many questions as you NEED to ask, everyone will help you.
  • Another way is to start with one shots, order, mix with your nic preference, steep and enjoy. Less expense initially with not having to buy a lot of concentrates at startup, only pg VG and nic.
Good luck to you and remember Rule 1 - chances are you will at least be 1 concentrate short when you want to mix a new recipy.
Going to add another one of my own, Rule 1.1 - Ask if unsure, it will be worth it. Maybe there is an more experienced diver near you that can help you to find your feet, or that would be willing to initially mix with you untill you get to know the ropes.

Many happy clouds to you.
RF

Ooh that is so true. My mission is to make a nice wicks bubblegum/menthol juice. Cant really find a recipe for that. I have had about ten tries and man most of them are nasty. But one day maybe Ill get it right
Check the diy section on site, a good one has allready been done by @Andre , and it seems good, haven’t mixed it as it is not my profile.

agree with @Room Fogger

when starting off make small mixes, don't bomb like a 100ml of something you have no idea you will like or not, I learnt the lesson the hard way

oh, and steeping is the devil !

agree with @Room Fogger

when starting off make small mixes, don't bomb like a 100ml of something you have no idea you will like or not, I learnt the lesson the hard way

oh, and steeping is the devil !
So you don’t like a certain 30 day steep of a certain juice do you?

Check the diy section on site, a good one has allready been done by @Andre , and it seems good, haven’t mixed it as it is not my profile.

Here is my recipe @Jean claude Vaaldamme. For the menthol/cool I would add 0.5 % FA Artic Menthol and 0.5 % WS-23 (30%).

Welcome to the rabbit hole @Gringo - I'm also in Durban but have found that an online store with a wide selection of concentrates proves to be a much easier shopping experience than walking into a B&M type store in Durban as I am yet to find one that offers a decent selection - a lot offer a single brand of flavorings, which as you will come to see in most recipes is not usually how they are created.

A few quick tips (most have already been mentioned)

1. Read Rich's DIY primer - its gold!
2. Get a scale
3. Download a copy of Hotrod's juice software - DIY would be a huge pain in the butt without it
4. Once you have found a recipe you think you may like, mix a small 10ml batch (sometimes it is actually easier to mix a 20ml if the %'s of certain concentrates in your recipe are very low e.g. 0.25% as it may be difficult to measure out such a small amount). Only once you have tried it and actually like it, look into mixing in bigger bottles.
5. Most of the time 'subbing' (swapping a strawberry from brand A with a strawberry from brand B) doesn't work without changing the profile but there are some suitable subs - best to shout and let the more experienced mixers provide guidance.
6. Learn, learn, learn.... this forum, DIY or Die's YouTube channel, Reddit etc are all valuable resources
7. Don't worry about all the fancy steeping techniques you will read about - simply mix, give it a shake and throw it in a cool dark space and forget about it. Keep it simple.
8. Single flavor test all your new concentrates so you can start learning what each tastes like at different %'s
9. Know that as your palate adjusts away from 'commercial' juices, you will initially feel like the DIY juice is missing something (the tons of sweetener usually) but as time goes on, you will then find that commercial juices are sickeningly sweet and your DIY juice is perfect!
10. Most importantly, have fun!

Morning ...
And where better place to start than here as you guru's are always willing to share.( i have been reading up on DIY on the forum and have a pretty good idea of what i need to do and where to start )
I am based in Durban and was was thinking that it would be a good idea to start with my local shop as supplier... ( Sir Vape )
I went on their site and had i look at the product they supply, so based on that the first bit of advise or info i need from the fellow members would be...
Could any of you suggest two or three recipes ... maybe a fruity and desert or candy ?
Thanks for the help.

Hi brother,this can be confusing when you start out , but as you go along it becomes easier.
I got a scale but don't use it much.I mix for me, don't have a lab and therefore don't need to be that precise.
20-22 drops is my ml count.
I mix flavours I like esp. Fruits and have not been disappointed except on tobacco, but that was with tobacco flavorings that never even smelled like tobacco in the first place.
You can never go wrong with any fruit concentrates. Something always complements the other or gives it a more rounded bouquet and taste.
Start with flavours you like and be patient and write down what you did, you might come up with a winner recipe.
Then again there are more experienced DIY guy's here that can guide you better.
Basically what in saying is you don't have to have a scale when starting out,but it's usefully if you are staying in the DIY game.you also don't need all the flavourings available. Start with recipes that can be adapted by removing or adding a flavour or two.
Menthols,mints and black ice works well for cooler or icey vapes but too much can be overwhelming. Same as sweeteners.
Hope this helps a little in your DIY journey.Goodluck

Last edited:
I'm dipping a toe into DIY this year, but I'm taking the easy way and starting with one shots. I mixed a Coffee Mill one shot from Blck Vapour a while back and it was successful. From one shots I'll progress to recipes.

@Gringo Valley Vapour (an online DIY vendor) has recipes on the site and I would assume that they have the concentrates for those recipes. They also have a mixing calculator on the site.

https://valleyvapour.co.za

Morning ...
Thanks for the help.
I have also been to @blak vapour and they sell the DIY kits. It's a no-brainer kit. You can add one shots or your own mix of concentrates and it's very reasonably priced and it will also be a good starting point. And the kit is re-usable.
They only re-open from tomorrow though.

Back