Diy:torch Your Stainless Steel Atomizer Cap Bronze Or Blue Color

devdev

respice adspice prospice
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards

It's apparently not safe - check this comment:

As a welder I must advise that you DO NOT DO THIS, heating SS up to the temp that it changes color results in the release of Hexaventalte Chromium...BAD SHIT?

Anyone got more info on whether this is true? The cap looks awesome when finished

Well I did some digging and came up with this interesting thread on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_...zpi5/whats_safe_or_not_about_stainless_steel/

Quote -

"Here's some fun facts.
"agitation of tissue" can cause cancer.

No one knows what 'causes' cancer. We know what 'can' cause cancer but those things can also 'not' cause cancer...

Cancer is when a cell is damaged but doesn't go through cell death fast enough to stop mitosis. This means a damaged cell replicates and generally creates more damaged cells. Hence why part of the 'cure' is frying the cells that are damaged so they stop and why the worst types of cancer involve cells that migrate to other parts of the body and become new cells because they're just good enough to make it there and reform into new fucked up cancers. It's sorta like idiots breeding, they're not too dumb to **** and just die off so they wander about the globe propagating and doing stupid shit.

Torch oxidizing stainless mesh 'could' potentially create hexavalent chromium but it would be well under the AL and PEL for osha standards unless you were doing it in bulk. vaping is not going to create anywhere near a 'dangerous' level or even close to the AL (Acceptable level) according to OSHA standards.

None of the actual hardware we use is going to get hot enough to create it or be agitated in a way that can create it (grinding stainless can also make Cr VI)

Ultimately, this is very low on the risk factor scale :)"

Ok so the real risk botching up your stainless gear by heating incorrectly.

I am gonna wait for someone else to mess this up first, and then learn from their experience

@Rowan Francis is usually up for this kind of a mission from what I understand

Hmmmmmmm interesting

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

You mean something like this uploadfromtaptalk1396646620634.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Go big laddy! Do it till its blue!

That is sick as *** !

I would like to do this on the drip tray of my espresso machine ;)

just found this neat technique

Last edited:
Straight after the Vape Meet I decided to bronze mybrand new IGO-W and a few other parts on the Nemi and Kayfun

13651296564_439ca1a727_z.jpg

13650924225_c3c1489d92_z.jpg

13650883515_b31881b114_z.jpg

13650845575_6a94c94538_z.jpg

That looks awesome, well done!

Thanks for the compliment, I was checking out some youtube vids, and the electric stove method seemed to give very good results. The only part that I found very difficult was the nemi locking ring, at one stage it was almost completely black.

What vape meet were you at? Couldn't even torch myself after, even if I wanted to

Send from Android device using Tapatalk

That torched drip tip on the Igo looks wicked!

Thanks for the compliment, I was checking out some youtube vids, and the electric stove method seemed to give very good results. The only part that I found very difficult was the nemi locking ring, at one stage it was almost completely black.
I infer you used the electric stove method? Do you have a link to that video maybe?

I infer you used the electric stove method? Do you have a link to that video maybe?

This is the one that gave me the idea.

Preparation involved first soaking everything in some meths, to clean off any oil residues.

Secondly, I filled a small cup with some cooking oil and added a teaspoon of filter coffee grinds to give the oil a dark colour.

Then I sorta copied the vid for the most part but I took it off periodically to drop each piece into the coffee soaked cup of oil, followed by a clean rinse, then back into the methylated spirits dip and back onto the hot plate.

here's the vid

This is the one that gave me the idea.

Preparation involved first soaking everything in some meths, to clean off any oil residues.

Secondly, I filled a small cup with some cooking oil and added a teaspoon of filter coffee grinds to give the oil a dark colour.

Then I sorta copied the vid for the most part but I took it off periodically to drop each piece into the coffee soaked cup of oil, followed by a clean rinse, then back into the methylated spirits dip and back onto the hot plate.

here's the vid

Thanks, wonder how a Russian will look in that?

Might just do one of my Kayfuns. I think my Nemesis looks pretty awesome now with these bronze accents.

ERA Mini dripper hood - No meths, no coffee, no preparation. I think the results clearly show that

2014-04-06 18.26.47.jpg
2014-04-06 18.25.37.jpg

wow, looking good

It's so/so in real life :/

Only saw your post about method after I had torched it. Didn't want to try on my nice gear, but will do it properly next time.

I want fully blue, not the brown, but it seems the difference between them is literally in the few seconds from when its blue to when it suddenly goes brown. Also got a few grease spots which you can't see in the pic.

It's so/so in real life :/

Only saw your post about method after I had torched it. Didn't want to try on my nice gear, but will do it properly next time.

I want fully blue, not the brown, but it seems the difference between them is literally in the few seconds from when its blue to when it suddenly goes brown. Also got a few grease spots which you can't see in the pic.

When I did the Nemesis locking ring on the hot plate stove, it wasn't easy getting the ring to heat evenly with a flat heated surface. The colour went from copper to blue to clear to black. Now the black really looked cool. But when I was washing it with a scotchbrite sponge, the black rubbed off. And I was back to the default stainless.

Then I tried the locking ring again on the solid flat stove top, but this time I just used the back of a teaspoon thru the locking ring, and kept wheeling it slowly over the hot surface. It didn't take very long, maybe a minute or two, before it started bronzing again.

so i wanted to get in on this action and did a little fiddling myself :)

this is what i started off with, my little bagua i got from CVS a few months back

original.png

then i took it apart

064.jpg

applied various heat sources from my little blowtorch, the stoves plate and even made a wee fire

07042014081.jpg

and this is the result, one veeery "old" mech mod

WP_20140408_001.jpg

WP_20140408_005.jpg ??

Back