Diy Wire Zapper

On varsity I had a 5,6uF/400V cap on my desk shaped in the form of a wired donkey - usually charged up straight from the mains 220V socket. Everybody will ask what it is and I will explain its a donkey, but be careful it bites, don't touch. Off coarse everybody will touch it. Caused many a good laugh :D. According to my room mate (I wasn't there) a certain one-time only visitor literally wets his pants when the cap discharged in his hands.
Whahaha. That's so funny! Love it. Wouldn't think it was funny if it bit me tho! :D

At school we used to drop a charged cap into peoples blazer pockets. Was hilarious to watch how they tried to remove their hand from their pockets after they got zapped.

Sorry but im still lost . What does this mean ?
Some atomizers require coils made from wire that is resistance wire (like the 28 g Kanthal you just got) in the middle and non-resistance wires for the tails. One such atty is the Ithaka. You can buy resistance wire and non resistance wire separately. To combine them for you to use to build a coil you use a zapper, it basically welds the non resistance wire to the resistance wire. This is my understanding and not a technical explanation at all. Hope it helps.

Some atomizers require coils made from wire that is resistance wire (like the 28 g Kanthal you just got) in the middle and non-resistance wires for the tails. One such atty is the Ithaka. You can buy resistance wire and non resistance wire separately. To combine them for you to use to build a coil you use a zapper, it basically welds the non resistance wire to the resistance wire. This is my understanding and not a technical explanation at all. Hope it helps.

What happens if one would only use resistance wire ?

Resistance wire only would mean that the entire construct will heat up. The attys that need this generally have long coil tails that run into the body of the atty which would also then heat up. If you used non-resistance wire only, it would short out.

Resistance wire only would mean that the entire construct will heat up. The attys that need this generally have long coil tails that run into the body of the atty which would also then heat up. If you used non-resistance wire only, it would short out.
Ah, thank you. That sounds logical to me.

would you be able to use the zapper to attach no res wire to say triple twisted kanthal?

Yes that should be possible in theory. In practice I am not sure, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't

Eventually got some time to work on this.
Printed PCB layout on press-n-peel.
20140416_200645~01.jpg
PCB ready for an etching bath
20140418_170403~01.jpg
Etched PCB - just needs some trimming
20140418_200748~01~01.jpg

I will be drilling the holes on Sunday when I can use my dads drill press and hopefully be able to zap something on Monday.

Nicely done...

Keen to see it in action.

Looks like you've done this before. If not... you might want to take a blade and clean up the excess spots, could cause a possible short.
IMG_20140418_095857_zpsfzwwjq6r.jpg

Also give the track side a nice scrub with steel wool or pot scourer(with something like sugar soap) before soldering, makes the solder stick a lot easier the board.

Good luck and looking good!

Finally got this assembled.
LED came on and nothing blew up :clap: Still have to get it into an enclosure of some sort.
20140423_214223~01.jpg

20140424_053953~01.jpg

I just tried zapping some wire together - small spark and then smoke came out of something:eek: Generally smoke coming out of electronics is a bad thing.
@johan did I stuff something up?

I really dont know @thekeeperza ! :eek: All electronics works with smoke, once the smoke is finished, unfortunately the electronics are also finished :eek:. Have you double check that there are no hairline shorts between pcb tracks? hopefully its only one of them that smoked a little. Try again, the power supply is isolated from the circuit when you zap, so its safe and the only component that might be at risk is the SCR - you can check for short on SCR between Anode & Cathode. If you don't come right, then we should get together.

thanks @johan - I will go through everything again and check if there is anything shorting. I will go get another SCR in case this one's smoke leaked.
If I don't come right I will give you a shout to meet and sort it out.

thanks @johan - I will go through everything again and check if there is anything shorting. I will go get another SCR in case this one's smoke leaked.
If I don't come right I will give you a shout to meet and sort it out.

100% - If I have time this afternoon, I will build up one on a breadboard and see for myself what might cause the "smoke leaking"

100% - If I have time this afternoon, I will build up one on a breadboard and see for myself what might cause the "smoke leaking"
I have a sneaky suspicion that the problem might be the guy behind the soldering iron :oops:

I think that the thryistor has leaked all its smoke - everything else looks fine. The soldering might be a bit suspect.
I am going to try get to Mantech tomorrow for another thyristor and another set or 2 of components and firstly try fix the current setup. I will etch another board or 2 and try have another go at it.
After that if nothing works I will have to get a bottle (or 3) of wine and come visit you @johan

Thekeeperza . I would like to ask if you want to do a group buy on the wine .. I too would like to schmooze @johan for a zapper . My bulawayo guy has had the board printout for two weeks and hasn't made anything yet ..

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Back