DIY - Your first time

Is there a link to a calculator to work out exactly what percentage to use of flavour etc. Can you make your mixes have too much flavour? How do I know that the amount of VG PG and flavour is correct to give me the best flavour I would probably go 50/50 or 60pg and 40vg as I am more after flavour. How do u ensure u add enough nice should I want a 3ml or 6ml nice content.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
http://e-liquid-recipes.com
Just click on user, register. And make ur juices bud. Have fun.

Is there a rule of thumb on how much flavour should be added to your VG PG to ensure its not over powering or tastes kak

Is there a rule of thumb on how much flavour should be added to your VG PG to ensure its not over powering or tastes kak

I am no DIY expert @kyle_redbull but I think it depends quite a lot on the flavour concentrates you use
I also believe that putting too many flavours in can mess it up - like mixing too many colours of paint you get an ugly brown -

But lets wait for the DIY experts.... They are probably all busy mixing because its long weekend

Quick question when diying with a single liquid how do u mix all together do u add the PG first then flavour then VG then shake or just mix all together

Quick question when diying with a single liquid how do u mix all together do u add the PG first then flavour then VG then shake or just mix all together

I like to mix my flavour with the pg and nic first. I let that steep for 2 days. Then i add the vg and let that steep for about another 3.

PG carries the flavour well thats why i let it steep in the pg before adding the vg

Hi all, on 10ml diy mix single flavour what is the % flavour one should be using I don't want to over power things as well as waste and I'm looking for more flavour and throat hit so will mix at 50/50 or 60pg and 40vg?

Hi all, on 10ml diy mix single flavour what is the % flavour one should be using I don't want to over power things as well as waste and I'm looking for more flavour and throat hit so will mix at 50/50 or 60pg and 40vg?

The single flavour percentage used is all dependant on the flavour and brand you're mixing with.

For example: you could mix TFA Strawberry ripe on its own around 10%

But something like FA Tiramisu would be mixed around 3% or so for a solo mix.

Your best bet is to perhaps mention the flavours you want to try mixing and get members to advise you on percentages. Or alternatively you could have a look on reddit. They have a very extensive diy e liquid section.

The PG/VG ratio is also dependant on what equipment you're using and what sort of power you're Vaping at. I think 40PG/60VG is a good starting point.

The flavours I have are all Flavour West they are lemon meringue pie, beetle juice and candy watermelon. I want more flavour than clouds so why would my VG be higher than my PG? I have a istick 60w tc and vape at around 22w on 0.3 kanthal coils

The single flavour percentage used is all dependant on the flavour and brand you're mixing with.

For example: you could mix TFA Strawberry ripe on its own around 10%

But something like FA Tiramisu would be mixed around 3% or so for a solo mix.

Your best bet is to perhaps mention the flavours you want to try mixing and get members to advise you on percentages. Or alternatively you could have a look on reddit. They have a very extensive diy e liquid section.

The PG/VG ratio is also dependant on what equipment you're using and what sort of power you're Vaping at. I think 40PG/60VG is a good starting point.
The flavours I have are all Flavour West they are lemon meringue pie, beetle juice and candy watermelon. I want more flavour than clouds so why would my VG be higher than my PG? I have a istick 60w tc and vape at around 22w on 0.3 kanthal coils <br /><br />Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The flavours I have are all Flavour West they are lemon meringue pie, beetle juice and candy watermelon. I want more flavour than clouds so why would my VG be higher than my PG? I have a istick 60w tc and vape at around 22w on 0.3 kanthal coils <br /><br />Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately have not tried any of those flavours so I can't comment. Maybe start around 8% and see how it goes from there.

I think the PG/VG ratio is something of personal preference. You'll definitely get more throat hit. I'm not sold on the concept of 50/50 juices being more "flavourful". But in a diy mix, a 50/50 blend might need a bit less concentrate than a higher VG blend to get the same flavour. Go for 50/50 if that's what you want bud.

So made my first mix my problem the consistency seems to be a little watery I mixed 50/50 made 10mls not getting the throat hit I am looking for coz there is 0 nic versus the ncv strawb I was vaping g recently. What can I do to get more throat hit? It seems with the 50/50 mix my istick 60w is running much hotter than what it did with the ncv strawb which was 30pg/70vg with 3mg nic why would it do this and I'm vaping on same wattage 22w have 0.3 kanthal coil in

Hi @kyle_redbull

Being now used to 70 VG / 30 PG juice, 50 / 50 appears very watery and thin to me too. Excuse the obvious question, but is your juice 50 PG including the concentrate (as the vast majority of concentrates are PG based)? If not, you would be closer to around 60 PG / 40 VG - which would be of a very thin consistency.

As far as the throat hit is concerned - although more PG definitely does add to a more pronounced throat hit, I find that (especially) the nicotine level, but also the specific flavor concentrates used, play a far bigger role in determining throat hit. Even the difference between 0 and 3 % is quite pronounced and it might also be that some of the concentrates in Strawb increases the throat hit as compared to your mix (I am assuming that you used one of the 3 FW concentrates listed above? I haven't used any of those FW concentrates, but they do not sound like flavors that would have a particularly strong throat hit - with the possible exception of the Lemon Meringue)

As far as your mod running hotter than normal with a 50 / 50 juice - I am stumped. I would think that because the thinner juice would most probably wick easier / faster, that in theory your mod should actually be working less hard. The only possibility that I can think of is that when you start going over 50 PG, many modern sub-ohm tanks / RBA's would probably start gurgling, as they aren't really designed for high PG juice - In that case it might perhaps make sense.

I am just scared to start using nic myself just now my mix isn't right and I poison myself the 3mg in strawb at times was too strong and I would start coughing. Just want more throat hit. What single flavours can provide me with this? My mod does gargle alot more now should I change my mix to a higher VG than PG mix with maybe a bit more flavour to give me the throat hit or should I get nic?

Or should I buy 1.5 ohm coils eish need help

I am just scared to start using nic myself just now my mix isn't right and I poison myself the 3mg in strawb at times was too strong and I would start coughing. Just want more throat hit. What single flavours can provide me with this? My mod does gargle alot more now should I change my mix to a higher VG than PG mix with maybe a bit more flavour to give me the throat hit or should I get nic?

Perhaps with your next mix it might be a good idea to change your ratio to 60 VG / 40 PG. If you usually vape 3 mg nic, it might be a good idea to add this to your mix as well. It's really not that 'dangerous' if you just use a bit of caution and common sense. Make sure that you get good quality 36 mg (the standard concentration that nic is sold at most DIY retailers in SA) nicotine from Skyblue, Valley Vapour or Vapour Mountain and you can then work out how much of it you need to add to the mix in order to reach 3 mg. You can do this with an e-juice calculator like eJuice Me Up (http://ejuice.breaktru.com/) or with simple maths (36 mg nic should be a 12th of your total mix in order to reach 3 mg - thus 2.5 ml per 30 ml or 0.8 ml per 10 ml). If you use eJuice Me Up to calculate, the nic default is 100 mg 50 VG / 50 PG and desired strength default is 12 mg. Remember to change that to 36 mg nic, 100 % PG or VG - whichever you're using (unless you are mixing by weight, it's a lot easier IMO to be precise with 100 % PG nic and it preserves slightly better) and 3 mg desired strength. Be careful not to spill any of the nic on your skin whilst working with it, but it's not a train smash if it does happen accidentally - just wash it off immediately and if you've spilled some on your clothes, change and wash the clothes before wearing again (some of the members on here started with 36 mg juices, so at that concentration it's not particularly dangerous - 100 mg nic should be treated with far more caution though).

As far as flavorings with throat hit is concerned, TFA Pineapple has a wicked throat hit and works relatively well as a single flavor IF that's your kind of flavor profile (should be used in very low percentages, as in 1 - 2 % Maybe 3 % max). TFA Black Cherry also has a decent throat hit (around 6 - 8 % single flavor) and TFA Pear has a relatively noticeable throat hit (around 7 - 9 % single flavor). For sweeter dessert flavors, TFA Dulce de Leche has a decent throat hit (at around 7.5 - 8.5 % single flavor) I can't think of other TFA / Cap / FW flavors right now that has both a prominent throat hit and that would work as a single flavor. A number of tobacco concentrates have got strong throat hits, but few that are readily available would work well as single flavours (and most should be steeped for quite a long time as well).

On the point of the 3 mg nic being too strong at times, you could also easily mix a juice at 1.5 mg nic (1.25 ml per 30 ml or 0.4 per 10 ml)

On my Fw bottles it doesn't show what percentage PG it is

04df2d4335f486bbe9e6490f9226f4d6.jpg

This was my recipe and came out quite watery

On my Fw bottles it doesn't show what percentage PG it is

The overwhelming majority of flavor concentrates used in mixing are 100 % pg (technically it's probably something more like 98.87 % pg - with the flavour compounds added, but you would calculate it as part of your pg ratio). The small number of exceptions to this, such as TFA Strawberry Organic which is VG based, are clearly indicated as VG based (as it is a bit of an "anomally". If not stated, it's simply assumed that one knows that it is PG based).

04df2d4335f486bbe9e6490f9226f4d6.jpg

This was my recipe and came out quite watery

I see that you did 'count' the concentrate as PG, so it was a 50 / 50 blend. I would speculate that it appeared overly thin and watery because we are now mostly used to higher VG juices. I think that the only way to check if the consistency that you reached falls within the limit of a 50 / 50 juice would be to compare it with other 50 / 50 juices (such as the older stock of Vape Elixir or most of the Skyblue juices).

Where can I get the sky blue 50/50 juices from or vape elixir. I am an ex smoker so looking for the throat hit. Maybe I should go get some nic and that will sort it out. I have steeped any of the flavours yet just wanted to test the waters

Where can I get the sky blue 50/50 juices from or vape elixir. I am an ex smoker so looking for the throat hit. Maybe I should go get some nic and that will sort it out. I have steeped any of the flavours yet just wanted to test the waters

Skyblue (the Bloodmoon Brew and Melonz are 70 / 30. The rest is 50 / 50 as far as I know):
http://www.skybluevaping.co.za/e-liquids/Skyblue-30ml-liquids
https://www.jjemporium.co.za/collections/vaping-fuel?page=2
https://www.jjemporium.co.za/collections/vaping-fuel?page=3
http://www.lungcandy.co.za/shop/elixirs/skyblue/

Vape Elixir (they have recently changed their ratios to 70 / 30. However, I think that it's quite likely that some 'older' stock of 50 / 50 might still be available - especially at eCiggies - they only stock 12 mg and 0 mg though):
http://www.vapeking.co.za/e-liquids/south-african-e-liquids/vape-elixir-supreme-e-liquid.html
http://eciggies.co.za/e-Liquidz/VAPE-ELIXIR-30ml-0mg-12mg

As far as I know, Vapour Mountain's juices are also usually higher in PG, even though the option is offered to specify the desired VG / PG ratio

Back