DIY - Your first time

I'm also finding the mint is stronger at higher wattages. I did a choc mint, 8% peppermint, 4% double choc, 0.5 koolada, 1% sucralose that's really nice in the rose at 20w, but if I stick it in the goblin on the mech all I get is freezing peppermint.
Yeah, mint is a funny beast - doesn't act like any of the other flavours

I'm also finding the mint is stronger at higher wattages. I did a choc mint, 8% peppermint, 4% double choc, 0.5 koolada, 1% sucralose that's really nice in the rose at 20w, but if I stick it in the goblin on the mech all I get is freezing peppermint.

Yip, I find the same.

I vape low watts at around 1,2ohm on the iStick during the day, and the mint juices are way less "fresh" than when I go 0,5 ohm 20watts and up at home.

I've had that same experience...the mint + (something) really shines at lower wattages (12W to 20W)...higher than that and it takes over :D

So I have pretty much hit a dire situation now.

My liquid that I brought with me is now basically finished.

So in a desperate attempt, I am going to try and see if i can source some VG and liquid nicotine.

I know for VG i can just ask the local to source some Vegetable Glycerine. That shouldn't be too difficult to find.

The problem though is the Nicotine.

Do I just tell him to try find liquid Nicotine or is there something a little more specific I can ask him to find?

Im working with a semi language barrier here. So I can't get too technical with my explanation to him.

Anyone with advice for me please?

So I have pretty much hit a dire situation now.

My liquid that I brought with me is now basically finished.

So in a desperate attempt, I am going to try and see if i can source some VG and liquid nicotine.

I know for VG i can just ask the local to source some Vegetable Glycerine. That shouldn't be too difficult to find.

The problem though is the Nicotine.

Do I just tell him to try find liquid Nicotine or is there something a little more specific I can ask him to find?

Im working with a semi language barrier here. So I can't get too technical with my explanation to him.

Anyone with advice for me please?
Where are you at?

Liquid nicotine can only be bought from chemical supply companies - Pharmaceutical grade is 99% or better, but you want to get the purest you can find.

Some countries would require you to be a pharmacist/scientist etc. to buy pure nicotine, and rightly so, because the fumes from pure nicotine can make you deathly sick, if not kill you - not to mention if you happen to spill some on your skin, or god forbid, get some in your mouth.

People don't know about Vegetable Glycerine - just ask for some pharmaceutical grade Glycerine

Where are you at?

Liquid nicotine can only be bought from chemical supply companies - Pharmaceutical grade is 99% or better, but you want to get the purest you can find.

Some countries would require you to be a pharmacist/scientist etc. to buy pure nicotine, and rightly so, because the fumes from pure nicotine can make you deathly sick, if not kill you - not to mention if you happen to spill some on your skin, or god forbid, get some in your mouth.

People don't know about Vegetable Glycerine - just ask for some pharmaceutical grade Glycerine

Iraq.

So unfortunately its not very easy for me to go round and try source the best possible grade I can find.
At the moment I need to just get some eliquid to get me through the next week or so.

Iraq.

So unfortunately its not very easy for me to go round and try source the best possible grade I can find.
At the moment I need to just get some eliquid to get me through the next week or so.
You can ask for liquid nic, but I doubt that it is something that is readily available - at least it is not readily available in SA to the general consumer - lab companies and chemical companies have it, but there's no retail side.

I suggest you just get some glycerin and vape away on that - I know you are gonna miss the nic, but just think of how good that first nic-laced vape is gonna be when you get back :)

You can ask for liquid nic, but I doubt that it is something that is readily available - at least it is not readily available in SA to the general consumer - lab companies and chemical companies have it, but there's no retail side.

I suggest you just get some glycerin and vape away on that - I know you are gonna miss the nic, but just think of how good that first nic-laced vape is gonna be when you get back :)

Ha ha.
If i can get hold of VG at the very least, Ill be happy with that. Something is better than nothing. Right?

Ha ha.
If i can get hold of VG at the very least, Ill be happy with that. Something is better than nothing. Right?
yep, and you should be able to get pharmaceutical grade Glycerin at any place that sells baby products - it is often used as a remedy for babies that are cutting teeth

They might call it Glycerin or Glycerol - same thing - even if you can't find pharmaceutical grade, the stuff titled 'pure' is ok in a bind - seeing as you are only going to vape it for a week or so

If you can get hold of some nice pipe tobacco you can make yourself a decent extract. Pg works better but you can soak the tobacco in the VG and give it a hot water bath for a couple hours. it will at least give your juice some flavour and a bit of nic.

My second batch of jooses are maturing... And actually not tasting bad at all.

My first batch was ruined with me going a little crazy will Smoothener, but I got the second batch down.

I now have two flavours that I can just tweak a little, to improve.

I have been obsessed with cooking for a long time now. So I have a decent knowledge or understanding of flavour, and thanks to this thread, I was able to get past the daunting "mixing" aspect... so now I can just play till I come up with something great :)

My second batch of jooses are maturing... And actually not bad at all.

My first batch was ruined with me going a little crazy will Smoothener, but I got the second batch down.

I now have two flavours that I can just tweak a little, to improve.

I have been obsessed with cooking for a long time now. So I have a decent knowledge or understanding of flavour, and thanks to this thread, I was able to get past the the daunting "mixing" aspect... so now I can just play till I come up with something great :)
Awesome :)

Quick question @Derick and diy'ers in general
following ejuicemeup i put together a 6mg 10ml menthol 2%,koolada 2%and mint candy 1% mix,with
2% EM to keep things civil.
tasted it after a good stirring and i had zero menthol with a puff of koolada on the exhale.
Also knocked me a silver in 3 puffs.
Now i know i followed the recipe,i have checked it in 3 calculators and come up with the same ml's drops etc?
Do menthol's require steeping,or did i stuff up somewhere.
i have left it in a cupboard overnight,and am starting to get some mint candy from it,but no menthol hits the nose.
will brave another taste test in a bit

Last edited:
following ejuicemeup i put together a 6mg 10ml menthol 2%,koolada 2%and mint candy 1% mix,with
tasted it after a good stirring and i had zero menthol with a puff of koolada on the exhale.
Now i know i followed the recipe,i have checked it in 3 calculators and come up with the same ml's drops etc?
i have left it in a cupboard overnight,and am starting to get some mint candy from it,but no menthol hits the nose.

My personal mix for that recipe is:

5% Koolada, 6% Menthol, 2% Mint.
Tastes a little bit like Listerine chewing gum!
Love it!

I steep my menthol/mint/clear flavours only for about an hour on the router. Give it a good swirl/shake every few minutes.

What is your PG/VG ratio? I find menthols, mints and koolada are all strongest fresh after mixing, steeping them lets the mint fade and other flavours start to come through. So not sure what's going on with your recipe. You sure you set the calculator for 6mg nic bearing in mind you're using a 36mg solution? This is the calculator I'm using and it's really easy to follow. Just check that you using the same quantities:

f9fxJU.jpg

Entered values based on 36mg nic solution in 100%pg. and a 50/50 pgvg ratio for the final juice. Hope that helps!

Where are you at?

I have done some VG research lately, cause I bought pharmaceutical Glycerine, it tastes exactly the same, only difference I could find in some reviews is that VG is basically made of plant oil, where the Pharmaceutical one is made from oils in animal fat...could u guys confirm or have anyone found the same information?

Looks pretty much the same animal,aside from VG/PG level and vg nic.
I added menthol at 2% as well though.
I initially used E-Juice lab
6b975d652631fe7912fa48da9c8baf21.jpg

Ejuicemeup has a slightly different pg/vg allocation
upload_2015-3-19_10-39-58.png

You could steep it in a glass of hot water if you wanna speed up the process, VG/PG is very heat sensitive, so thins out in hot water.

Frankly,im going to follow @Dericks advice,simplify.
mix a 10ml 50/50 no nic flavour only,once i have something resembling what i am after(frostbite) i can start messing with higher vg content.
I still struggle to believe that frostbite is 50/50...the clouds man the clouds

Last edited:
Are you using the EM as a 10% solution - i.e. mix about a 1/4 teaspoon of the crystals with 10 ml of pg?

Too much EM overpowers everything. I use between 0.5% and 1% of the 10% EM solution in my menthol mixes.

Low wattage mixes are 3% menthol, 1.5% koolada and 0.5% EM solution.
High wattage mixes are 1.5% menthol, 1.5% koolada and 0.5% EM solution.

Are you using the EM as a 10% solution - i.e. mix about a 1/4 teaspoon of the crystals with 10 ml of pg?

Too much EM overpowers everything. I use between 0.5% and 1% of the 10% EM solution in my menthol mixes.

Low wattage mixes are 3% menthol, 1.5% koolada and 0.5% EM solution.
High wattage mixes are 1.5% menthol, 1.5% koolada and 0.5% EM solution.

Correct,1.25 ml of EM crystals diluted in 10 ml pg.used 2% as per above calcs
ran under hot water while mixing.
possible i have aded too much EM,will try with none first and add as needed for taste.
should have my 50/50 no nic trial mixed in a few minutes...damn work thing keeps interrupting my DIY

fyi,watermelon candy lingers...everything still smells like watermelon

Looks pretty much the same animal,aside from VG/PG level and vg nic.
I added menthol at 2% as well though.
I initially used E-Juice lab
6b975d652631fe7912fa48da9c8baf21.jpg

Ejuicemeup has a slightly different pg/vg allocation
View attachment 23286

Your E-Juice lab recipe is missing Peppermint, hence the difference in PG/VG allocation ;)

If you are missing the menthol, simply try increasing it slowly (1% at a time) :D
This goes for any mix, once you have a recipe, simply increase that flavour (and/or decrease strong flavours) by a small amount to find your balance. If only one flavour is weak, you can even add the concentrate directly to the weak mix and let it steep a bit (depending on what it is you are adding) - this is a bit of a hack, but can give you a quick indication of how well this would work before actually creating an entire new batch.

10ml 50/50 pg vg base mixed in boiled,washed and dried glassware.
popped it on top of the router until it mixed nicely and gave it a few swirls.
will have to build a stirrer,need efficiency.
No more swirling in the base,stirring between each flavouradded Mint Candy(2 drops),Menthol(4 drops)
upload_2015-3-19_12-37-14.png

Last edited:
Back