Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
This thread goes out to all those who have experienced both and can explain the difference in normal power mode vaping.

How do the two types of boards differ on the vape itself?

By "cheaper" regulated boards I am referring to those sorts of boards found in Mods like the minikin or say the hotcig150 for example.

I know the DNA boards offer some amazing customisation for temp control - but what is the difference to the vape itself for normal power mode vaping? And would there be a difference for say 40W and under?

Does it offer better battery life? A more direct vape like a mech? Or more reliability? Whats the benefit from your experience?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to know myself and it may also be interesting for others too.

image.jpeg

Hi @Silver , I have had both and for me I always use power mode. Lets take for example my Loch Ness Envii, for the skyline I somehow feel it has a bit of a delay in heating up and the power mode feels a bit weaker than on my VA Primo Dual. Both have exceptional battery life but my DNA75 seems to heat up the coils just a bit faster.

The DNA chip has decent charge functionality and balanced charging.
I know this point can be argued and most people will just pop batteries into an external charger but I have never had any issues charging batteries in a DNA mod.

The DNA mod also excels at temp control but that not part of the question being asked either.

I particularly like escribe and the customisations you can do.
E.g. You can set a volt limit for your battery to cut off. E.g thr default is 3.2 but let's say you want to cut off at 3.6v you can.
Also, I like the preheat function. You can set your coil to do say 50w for 1 second and then go to whatever wattage you have set the mod at.
The preheat is adjustable from soft to hard and from 1 second to 5 seconds.
I also like the fact that you have 6 or 8 profiles (i can't remember) and you can set each one individually.
E.g. 6 tanks or drippers etc with custom builds can be switched between without changing settings. See this as a memory for 6 atties.
I have had no issues with any of the DNA boards I have had but also subjective because some people have had issues eg blown fuse.
The one DNA mod that let me down was a rolo dna 200 that I still have but the issue was the battery cradle and not the board.

I also find that DNA boards do not hum or have that rattle sound that the sx boards do (a faint hum or vibration).

I find the power delivery to be consistent and constant.

I would have to say that escribe is the biggest attraction for me as I have often plugged in and opened the device monitor to see power, temp etc while i vape to get the perfect setup. E.g I had a tank I liked getting a hot vape to start and a hot vape to finish with 10 second draws that was a cold vape to start and a hot to burnt vape at the end on another device.

Also, when I contacted evolve when my rolo broke they actually opened a ticket for me and gave me quite a bit of troubleshooting advice to establish the problem so I was very happy with their support.
Just my experience as I know some people who hate DNA boards based on their experience.

An afterthought, I've never really used the multi atty settings as it'd been 1 mod per tank for me.
Also a moot point now but when the DNA 200 came out I struggled with devices and the orientation of the screen. Escribe allowed me to chose what I wanted to see on screen E.g amp draw and I could also change the orientation of the screen as well as switch the buttons around.
I see more and more devices can do this now but DNA 200 boards were some of the first I could do it on.

The DNA chip has decent charge functionality and balanced charging.
I know this point can be argued and most people will just pop batteries into an external charger but I have never had any issues charging batteries in a DNA mod.

The DNA mod also excels at temp control but that not part of the question being asked either.

I particularly like escribe and the customisations you can do.
E.g. You can set a volt limit for your battery to cut off. E.g thr default is 3.2 but let's say you want to cut off at 3.6v you can.
Also, I like the preheat function. You can set your coil to do say 50w for 1 second and then go to whatever wattage you have set the mod at.
The preheat is adjustable from soft to hard and from 1 second to 5 seconds.
I also like the fact that you have 6 or 8 profiles (i can't remember) and you can set each one individually.
E.g. 6 tanks or drippers etc with custom builds can be switched between without changing settings. See this as a memory for 6 atties.
I have had no issues with any of the DNA boards I have had but also subjective because some people have had issues eg blown fuse.
The one DNA mod that let me down was a rolo dna 200 that I still have but the issue was the battery cradle and not the board.

I also find that DNA boards do not hum or have that rattle sound that the sx boards do (a faint hum or vibration).

I find the power delivery to be consistent and constant.

I would have to say that escribe is the biggest attraction for me as I have often plugged in and opened the device monitor to see power, temp etc while i vape to get the perfect setup. E.g I had a tank I liked getting a hot vape to start and a hot vape to finish with 10 second draws that was a cold vape to start and a hot to burnt vape at the end on another device.

Also, when I contacted evolve when my rolo broke they actually opened a ticket for me and gave me quite a bit of troubleshooting advice to establish the problem so I was very happy with their support.
Just my experience as I know some people who hate DNA boards based on their experience.

Thanks very much @Christos - much appreciated
Power delivery being more consistent and constant interests me a lot

Reminds me of my MVP2 in a way (my wife uses them now). As Busardo explained when he reviewed them, they have a DC type output - like a flat voltage, not pulsating. They feel "mech like" in a sense. And most other similar devices were like a rattlesnake compared - buzzing away.

Am wondering if the DNA board feels like a flat signal when vaping. Maybe thats why a lot of vapers like it?

This thread goes out to all those who have experienced both and can explain the difference in normal power mode vaping.

How do the two types of boards differ on the vape itself?

By "cheaper" regulated boards I am referring to those sorts of boards found in Mods like the minikin or say the hotcig150 for example.

I know the DNA boards offer some amazing customisation for temp control - but what is the difference to the vape itself for normal power mode vaping? And would there be a difference for say 40W and under?

Does it offer better battery life? A more direct vape like a mech? Or more reliability? Whats the benefit from your experience?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to know myself and it may also be interesting for others too.

View attachment 97290
After a couple of glitchy chips (istick Pico & Ipv's) I binned the malfunctioning ones and sold all of the rest, leaving only Yihi 350/450 chips and DNA's in my rotation. For me it was about safety and reliability - and according to PBusardo DNA's/Yihi's are more accurate than most. No Sigelei 213 type-drama.
But I know a lot of peeps who swear by the more cost effective but still decent Chinese chips and sometimes even prefer them. I may have had a bit of bad luck, but it was enough to sway me.

Thanks very much @Christos - much appreciated
Power delivery being more consistent and constant interests me a lot

Reminds me of my MVP2 in a way (my wife uses them now). As Busardo explained when he reviewed the, they have a DC type output - like a flat voltage, not pulsating - mech like in a sense. And most other similar devices were like a rattlesnake compared - buzzing away.

Am wondering if the DNA board feels like a flat signal when vaping. Maybe thats why a lot of vapers like it?
Yup pretty much sums it up. In escribe you can see a constant voltage being applied to your atty as well as a constant amp draw on the batteries etc.
The pulsating sound and feel even though it happens many times per second, the buzz bothers me!
I'll take some screen shots tomorrow to show this as I'm already in bed and far away from a laptop.

After a couple of glitchy chips (istick Pico & Ipv's) I binned the malfunctioning ones and sold all of the rest, leaving only Yihi 350/450 chips and DNA's in my rotation. For me it was about safety and reliability - and according to PBusardo DNA's/Yihi's are more accurate than most. No Sigelei 213 type-drama.
But I know a lot of peeps who swear by the more cost effective but still decent Chinese chips and sometimes even prefer them. I may have had a bit of bad luck, but it was enough to sway me.

Thanks @KB_314 - i suppose you wont remember then, but can you recall the difference in the vape itself? Was it more powerful on the DNA versus the cheaper ones?

I've never had a decent balanced charge on a yihi chip. One battery is always 4.2 and the other 4.12 or so.
Makes my OCD tingle and I have to remove batteries and charge externally and rotate.
I've customised my DNA's to show charge rate and the voltage of each cell when plugged into charge and the voltage is always 4.2 or 4.19 when fully charged on each cell.

Yellow line is amp draw and turquoise line is voltage being applied to the atomiser while firing.
Note the straight line which is the consistency um taking about with no pulsing.
Also the lines at the top are the voltage of the battery and you can see the battery voltage drop under load and perform almost linear.
Better screen capture may follow tomorrow as It was cold in the study!
20170607_221500_001.jpg

Edit: also note the voltage of each cell in the left. 3.96, 3.96 and 3.95.
That's some very decent balanced discharging hapenning!

Last edited:
I have both the DNA 200 and DNA 250 equipped mods and the vape i get from them is reliable, consistent, and with the board's high efficiency, better battery life. Cell balanced charging is a major pro as well as u don't have to constantly remove the batteries. I can honestly say, i will only buy DNA mods.

Thanks @KB_314 - i suppose you wont remember then, but can you recall the difference in the vape itself? Was it more powerful on the DNA versus the cheaper ones?
Personally, I didn't notice the DNA being more powerful. It was smoother in TC though. But I don't spend much time in TC.
I do find that my Yihi chips "hit harder" than my DNA's.
But the best I've ever experienced in terms of power delivery was an old Provari - awesome 20W :) Almost like a mech and you could not tell that the battery level was dropping until the very last vape. I'm tagging @Andre to see if he has since experienced better power delivery on a regulated mod

Personally, I didn't notice the DNA being more powerful. It was smoother in TC though. But I don't spend much time in TC.
I do find that my Yihi chips "hit harder" than my DNA's.
But the best I've ever experienced in terms of power delivery was an old Provari - awesome 20W :) Almost like a mech and you could not tell that the battery level was dropping until the very last vape. I'm tagging @Andre to see if he has since experienced better power delivery on a regulated mod
The yihi chips have the advantage of powerful, powerful +, standard and soft "preheat" function which is easily changed from the mod screen.
I could do a lot from the yihi chips menu system but I found their software on pc to be archaic and bad English! Wasn't clear where anything was.

I've never had a decent balanced charge on a yihi chip. One battery is always 4.2 and the other 4.12 or so.
Makes my OCD tingle and I have to remove batteries and charge externally and rotate.
I've customised my DNA's to show charge rate and the voltage of each cell when plugged into charge and the voltage is always 4.2 or 4.19 when fully charged on each cell.
I only have one dual battery yihi (Q Mini) and tbh I've only ever charged the batteries externally - but will try a USB charge and report back.
I have a DNA200 where I cannot quite get the battery settings right - so it's only able to charge to 99% and since messing with the settings it's never read 100%. Makes me want to kill myself

The yihi chips have the advantage of powerful, powerful +, standard and soft "preheat" function which is easily changed from the mod screen.
I could do a lot from the yihi chips menu system but I found their software on pc to be archaic and bad English! Wasn't clear where anything was.
Yep the software is hideous. Nothing like escribe

I have both the DNA 200 and DNA 250 equipped mods and the vape i get from them is reliable, consistent, and with the board's high efficiency, better battery life. Cell balanced charging is a major pro as well as u don't have to constantly remove the batteries. I can honestly say, i will only buy DNA mods.
Just be weary of the lipo equipped mods though, as finding a compatible replacement is very difficult as the various vape shops don't usually stock the original battery packs for ur specific mod. The Therion, in my opinion, is fantastic and it takes dual 18650s. So go for that.

I only have one dual battery yihi (Q Mini) and tbh I've only ever charged the batteries externally - but will try a USB charge and report back.
I have a DNA200 where I cannot quite get the battery settings right - so it's only able to charge to 99% and since messing with the settings it's never read 100%. Makes me want to kill myself
If you use the LG turds, the mah rating is 3000. A quick Google will tell you to use them at 2960mah I think our somewhere close to there. I had that issue on the rolo and used a battery file I downloaded.
Also, if you take the mod off charge as soon as it's done (for me anyways) it's 100%. If I leave overnight it's usually 97 to 99%.

I suspect it has to do with the board cutting off any trickle charge but the screen remains on while a usb plug is inserted.

You guys bashing the yihi software are making me think twice about the VA Knight..:shake:
You don't need the software as it has Bluetooth.
Only issue is that the app only works with apple so far with an android version promised but never materialised.
The yihi is also easily customised directly on the mod and doesn't need a pc.

You don't need the software as it has Bluetooth.
Only issue is that the app only works with apple so far with an android version promised but never materialised.
The yihi is also easily customised directly on the mod and doesn't need a pc.
Hmm..guess i'll have to make space for the VA Knight as soon as i see a carbin black one..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I think I need to change my signature to "derailer of threads" as @Silver's original question is not being discussed :D

Had a few mods in my time but I never delve into technicalities and just go on gut feel... I pretty much only have YiHi and DNA's left that I use. Personally if I had to choose only one I would probably take the YiHi chips because I don't need to plug them into a computer and use really complicated software to alter them... that being said I use my DNA's mostly because that's what the Billet Box's have in them and my Wapari's are DNA75's and DNA60's.

Hmm..guess i'll have to make space for the VA Knight as soon as i see a carbin black one..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sold out today. There were 2 silver beasts available about an hour ago.
Carbon black with silver face plate. ..

Back