Do we have a chance?

I would just like to throw my 2c in here, I have just started out and havent officially released in any stores as yet.

I am very passionate about my juices and will keep going until I cannot go anymore.

Yes there are a ton of new vendors / juicemakers out there and they popping up everyday. At the end of the day if you do not give it all you have, you will never know what it could be in the future.

Try do something that is different than whats already out there. Guys who have been in the industry for a long time have built up their reputations and client base, this is why people keep going back for their juices.

I take in all that everyone has to say and have created my own path. Whether it will be a success or not, I'll never know until I have reached that point or not...

I really hope you don't pack it up, stick it out and see what might be ;)

honestly in my opinion its terrible
Lol ..... ironic because i pitched the name and design beforehand to an admin and was never told it was terrible else I would have changed it.

@Feliks Karp ........ if only I was shared these tips beforehand. Now I feel like a real douchebag regarding my product.
@Sickboy77 .... your reply is helpful. Thanks
@shaunnadan ........ also a very nice informative reply.

Sorry if I scratched open a "healthy" spot on the skin.

I dont see anything wrong with the name @KZOR bottoms up is fine but the labels could use some work just to grab attention.

Once you have that special juice, market it with everything you got. If you believe your juice is awesome then make people believe it too. Here's an interesting article around that:

https://vapemagazine.com/2016/01/how-to-start-a-premium-e-juice-company/

To me 4 things will make me buy your juice:
- Unique and quality flavour
- Attractive bottle design and branding
- Internet presence and awareness in the industry
- Competitive pricing

First and foremost above all things is that if your juice is premium then it must be unique and taken a lot of time and effort to perfect. Do not give me a shake and vape DIY that you created overnight. Mix to perfection, Steep to perfection, and Taste to perfection.

Secondly when I walk into a vape shop the thing that will grab my attention is the design of the bottle. You can have amazing juice in there, but if it's not appealing to the eye I wouldn't risk R150 to find out.

Have a website that details your juice and the story behind it's creation. This way people will be more intrigued on how it tastes.

Like many mentioned before, R150 is expensive for 30ml specially if you a new juice line and the option of DIY is out there, so try finding that sweet price point before charging the same price as an award winning juice.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
@KZOR - Just my 1500 cents worth...Welcome to the cut-throat world of business and human nature. Nobody with a "victim mentality" makes it in any business. Its "clicks" (as you refer to,) acquaintances, friends, connections, hard work, passion and a bit of good fortune that launches any business prospector into success. That's just how it is. Keep on trying, believe in yourself and you will make it.

You could even build a website with Shopify, very easy to use and cheap.
Will help you get your brand out there for your customers who are not in CPT and want to order.

@KZOR just my 2c.
Firstly, if you believe in your product, don't give up.
Many on here know first hand how hard it is for a small business out there.
I'm willing to bet that at least one established juice maker and/or vendor on here will PM you with advice.
I agree with what has been said here about good marketing, labelling and hard work and investment etc.
I know of established and successful juice makers that will not settle for inferior bottles for example, and choose to keep their product off the shelves until their preferred bottles arrive. Or choose to spend way more on label costs than most because it adds value to their already good product.
I also agree with finding the right pricing, making it attractive to prospective buyers to try your juice.
Most importantly, the juice has to be good and different to what's already out there. It's no secret that many of the successful juices took many months to perfect, before being launched.
Best of luck.

Lol ..... ironic because i pitched the name and design beforehand to an admin and was never told it was terrible else I would have changed it.

@Feliks Karp ........ if only I was shared these tips beforehand. Now I feel like a real douchebag regarding my product.
@Sickboy77 .... your reply is helpful. Thanks
@shaunnadan ........ also a very nice informative reply.

Sorry if I scratched open a "healthy" spot on the skin.
@KZOR If the admin you pitched the name and design to is anything like me then he was probably too nice to say anything bad. If I don’t like a post or disagree with someone’s POV, especially if it’s a subjective POV, I move on. If I buy a juice that I don’t like or a mod that’s not too my liking I won’t post about it. I just.... move on. There are people out there that would like the juice or mod so my opinion would be subjective. But hey that’s just me. If I like something and feel that it’s worth it I will post.

I’m also useless at business things so I won’t even try to understand what goes into starting up a business from scratch. I will say that from what I’ve gathered, when you launched your juice, is that it’s only available in the WC. That excludes vapers in the other 8 provinces. Added to that, it’s only available via pickup. That would leave you exposed to those who live around you or those willing to drive to you to get it. You will also lose out on sales from those that live around you but prefer to buy online and have their items delivered rather than driving out to you. This narrows your target market, which is still relatively small, down even further. If you don’t have the capital outlay or resources to invest in an online shopping system and courier facilities, be patient and build the brand slowly, in the manner that you have, until you do have the resources.

I once bought two bottles of premium international juice and threw it down the drain two days later because I could not stand it and would not wish it on my worst enemy. Since that day I vowed never buy an e-liquid that I could not sample first. As a result I don’t buy international juice often. I’ve probably passed on some great local e-liquids because I couldn’t sample it, but I can live with that. I suspect that a lot of vapers feel the same about being able to sample the product before purchasing so with the juice only being available through pick up you’ve excluded a portion of the market in that regards as well.

Just trying to help.

I'm not an expert in the juice line by any means but it seems to me that juice makers:
1) Focus on what they like/want rather than what the customer likes/wants
2) Are resigned to marketing their juice on their own and out of their own pocket, and
3) Don't have a Unique Selling Point.

My local Spar Tops has started to sell disposable cig-alikes. With the exponential growth in vaping, my guess is that they will start to sell liquid as well shortly. Another bottle store in my area has a vape bar (unaffiliated to the store) which rents one corner of the shop for their stand. They seem to do decent business, there are always a couple of people buying juice whenever I go into the store.

Rather than attempting to set up and fund an online business themselves, has anybody gone to a chain like Spar Tops and proposed a unique line of juices for sale in their chain? The name Bottoms Up is a natural fit for me because it is an idiom that is usually said before drinking alcohol. If I see a juice called Bottoms Up, I would expect alcohol/cocktail flavours. That, for me, would be the juice's USP - that it's the most comprehensive and authentic alcohol range, and the first port of call for anybody wanting a cocktail vape.

If I was a brand manager at Spar Tops, a line of cocktail vape juice would immediately get my attention. It synergises with my core business of selling alcohol and fits naturally with the alcohol products which I stock. It's also a good vehicle for promotions: buy a bottle of brandy and a 2l Coke from my store, and get a bottle of Brandy & Coke vape juice at half-price. So it adds value to the Tops business because it is now attracting vapers. And of course it adds value to the juice manufacturer because instead of trying to punt his product in a crowded online environment, he now has it displayed prominently in a bricks-and-mortar chain. That is what business is about: mutual benefit.

I'm not suggesting this is what you should do with your range, just pitching the alternative of partnering with others and then also styling your juices around a partner's/client's/distributor's needs and giving it a USP. Maybe I'm talking nonsense here and it's been tried and failed already. But the idea of business is to keep looking for opportunities and being innovative. If the costs and work of promoting a juice line are too great to do it alone, then partnering is an obvious solution. That's not to say they'll go for it if you approach them. But one thing is sure: they definitely won't go for it if you don't approach them. Pitching ideas and proposals and being turned down goes with the territory in business.

The bottom line is that, as vaping grows, somebody is going to partner with major chains to get their juices distributed in that chain. There is no reason why that somebody shouldn't be you. Every day that you delay, you're leaving the door open for others to seize the initiative.

Wow... I must say this thread came as a bit of a shock to me.

Here's my little bit for you @KZOR .

Regarding the "cliques" on the forums, you're going to get that on any platform that more than a couple of people take part, it's just a natural way of people crossing paths on developing connections. There are plenty of members on here that I chat with on a thread, but never via PM, and it's not because of any reason other than neither of us have bothered to start up with the other.

Keep in mind that people take a lot of pride in their profiles, and if I'm going to shout the glory of a product from the rooftops, it's because it is good, and not because of anything else. I think it would be the same for the high profile members, they're not about to risk their reputation to punt a cruddy product, because at the end of the day I'm going to be pissed with them for convincing me to buy a POS. There are a couple of guys here that I have full faith in their assessment of new things, and that's only because when they have said something is good, I have come to the same conclusion. It's HARD to do a bad review on something, and as @Blu_Marlin says, I would rather post nothing than go online and tell the world how I think that XYZ's hard work equates to shit. And it is in the same way that I judge all vape products. I recommmended the Pico for months before I owned one, simply because I noticed that everyone on here loved theirs. But when I was asked about the Praxis, I advised the member to avoid it, for no other reason than I had seen NOTHING posted on it, so even though I knew they were out there, they probably weren't very good.

For me getting new juices is a risky process. Very rarely I will buy one just because the bottle looks awesome, but everytime I have done that I have almost always regreted my decision to pay R150 for a bottle of juice that has the sole purpose of looking good on my desk. The only time I will buy a juice untasted these days, is if it comes in at a great pricing point. Even if I like the sound of a juice I tend to not buy it untasted because of past disappointments. I would rather wait until I can get a taster at a brick-and-mortar, or when a friend has some.

I'm really sorry you got to a stage where you felt this bleak about your venture, and in short, no don't give up! Everyone has different tastes, being a juice maker you now just need to figure out how to identify them and get them out there. It's hard to make you work public, but if it's something you love doing, then you just have to keep at it!

@KZOR , sure we can work you something in terms of design and branding. Maybe start a thread and I got some free time in the evening now, so should be able to draw you up a couple of things. Alternatively PM me with all your info and detail on what it is exactly you want on the bottles etc.

I supply a small part of locals in my town with juice. As not all of them have finances to run the "premium juice" in their tanks day in and day out. Never give up, passion is what makes a product great at the end of the day. I have not seen nor read up on your juices. But I read some say the profiles are nothing new, even alot of international vendors/brands are just recycling their take on something and seems to follow trends.

To me personally juice is what makes vaping in general awesome. I do hear what you say about the "elite" but keep in mind they started way before the rest, and some of them even payed for recipes from all ready established brands. A great product is great but if it is not marketed it is not going to get anywhere.

I think the thing that will make a juice line fly is the quality of the juice and a unique flavour. This will trump everything as everyone wants a good vape. Even if there are clicks I'm sure they want to vape good stuff.

The thing is you need to have different flavours, not anything we can download of the web because chances are that most vapers here are already making those and have mastered them to their taste. The juice needs to be special, not nice or the same as another.

Another thing is vapers have been burnt be numerous newcomers. I haven't tries your juices but many other newcomers have kind of tarnished the brush. I have tried so many new flavours and usually only slightly cheaper and and they were horrible so it put me off trying newer stuff from non-established brands. This is were you need to get your samples out there. Go to the vape meets and hand out FREE samples. If it is good, people will talk about it here and elsewhere and then the demand will come. I emphasize free because I have attempted to support numerous "noobies" who didn't want to do free and I bough to support them anyway after trying there vapes at best. It was not like the tried bit, nor did they steep well. I mean they even put different substitute ingredients to substitute that they later told me and mixed the day before so no steeping. Not that you would do it but these are the things that happened which is what makes it harder for you to break into the market.

Another thing is that I only buy certain local juices that are really special because I can't make it. I don't buy any generic like a strawberry or banana milkshake because it is dead simple to DIY to your own preference and I definitely don't buy any international because I have found the recipes online and have perfected them to my taste over a couple tries already at a much cheaper price so again it comes down to a really special and unique flavour of high quality that is consistently the same for me to keep spending money on it.

"Dear Google.

I downloaded the android development platform, and have fiddled around with some ideas. There were a few ideas, and i have chosen the best of these ideas...

I have finally finished writing my Facebook application, but have noticed that there are not as many investors as previously planned. I did not really scope the market for similar applications, but I know that my Facebook is much more secure than the one that Mark invented...

I would like to not list my app on the play store, because it costs money - but I also want to be able to sell it there if that is possible..."

The industry you have entered is no different to any other industry in terms of market, and the economies that operate within that market including both the customer and the seller. Simply put, a key to success is the optimization of all the players in your market place... A seller approaching a buyer, because they want that specific product etc.

They do not want something else, because - well this is the best for them, and in no ways would they risk missing the perfect ADV for something that they have never tried.

Samples are key, as is advertising - How do you know that your juices aren't awful? My mom thinks my singing is amazing, but the police at 3am tend to disagree. You may say "but you have not tried them, sod off" however, if they were selling this post would not have been made. There are clicks on ecigssa, and I tend to not always agree with the mod team (clickbaitersyou) but, its not like they are sitting there going "KZOR released a juice, lets not support it".

Where are your juices bottled, do you have any pictures of your lab conditions etc? I am on this forum often, so if i have missed that info - I apologize :/

And just another thought on the issue... there are so many new juice makers popping up all the time and a lot of the juices being tested are kak... so people are getting really tired of spending R150 on a new juice and finding out it's not vapable and they have wasted thier hard earned cash... so what do they do next time? They stick to thier tried and tested brands...

Quoted for emphasis.

Even established juice co's have lines that are released and people have issues with. I know that with East by Weiner, I complained about throat hit in my review - and others noticed the same... that alone, means I wont buy that juice again. Taste is subjective (if you pay me, i will argue that it is objective to some extent) however if the juice is good it talks for itself. I literally bought a bottle of Larrys eliquids or whatever its called, because apparently it was a good fruit loops - I bought it, hated the label but loved the juice and will order it once the 100ml's runs out...

Thanks for all the responses and some have really been helpful but ......... this thread has totally derailed from my original concern.

What my original post is NOT about :
1) Struggling to get a name for my brand
2) Asking for my product to be gunned down
3) Advertising my product
4) Looking for marketing tips
5) The frequency of certain flavours
6) The quality of my product
7) Marketing strategies

What it was SUPPOSED to be about :
1) Are there strong bonds between admins/moderators and certain vendors/sellers
2) Will the advertising of products by the admins not be a huge influence on sales of those "friends"
3) Do certain vendors/sellers benefit to the detriment of smaller fish from regular exposure of their products by the admins/moderators
4) Is it fair IF above mentioned concerns are true

Concerns 1 to 4 has been answered. All I needed to know. :)
Many have stated that it is a normal occurrence and I accept it as that.
@Raindance I know all about Charles Darwin and his driving force called Natural Selection. :) I teach it

Bonus benefits from replies :
1) Working on a new design BUT name stays :)
2) Discovered a large amount of very helpful people (thanks for all the pm's)
3) Found a vendor offering to introduce my juice and I know they will kick-ass. :)
4) Gained some excellent marketing ideas
5) Discovered 2 new less friendly vapours
6) Even more determined now to try and give the big guns a run for their money

Ps @Clouds4Days asked : "What makes your strawberry milkshake diffrent from the other 20 already out"
Answer : I tried alot and did not like them and then made one I think is better. :)

Thanks for all the responses and some have really been helpful but ......... this thread has totally derailed from my original concern.

What my original post is NOT about :
1) Struggling to get a name for my brand
2) Asking for my product to be gunned down
3) Advertising my product
4) Looking for marketing tips
5) The frequency of certain flavours
6) The quality of my product
7) Marketing strategies

What it was SUPPOSED to be about :
1) Are there strong bonds between admins/moderators and certain vendors/sellers
2) Will the advertising of products by the admins not be a huge influence on sales of those "friends"
3) Do certain vendors/sellers benefit to the detriment of smaller fish from regular exposure of their products by the admins/moderators
4) Is it fair IF above mentioned concerns are true

Concerns 1 to 4 has been answered. All I needed to know. :)
Many have stated that it is a normal occurrence and I accept it as that.
@Raindance I know all about Charles Darwin and his driving force called Natural Selection. :) I teach it

Bonus benefits from replies :
1) Working on a new design BUT name stays :)
2) Discovered a large amount of very helpful people (thanks for all the pm's)
3) Found a vendor offering to introduce my juice and I know they will kick-ass. :)
4) Gained some excellent marketing ideas
5) Discovered 2 new less friendly vapours
6) Even more determined now to try and give the big guns a run for their money

I think that when one makes a post of this nature, both negativity and constructive suggestions need to be expected. Fundamentally you launched a juice line to make profit, and when it gets to that side of things - criticism is important, because your customer is your source of income. Market penetration is crucial in any market place that has high competition.

I did ask about how your juices are prepared, and in what kind of "lab" you operate - which I still do what to know. Certain juice lines, have overheads relating to sterilized environments and lab tests that they have ensured they get done to fall within regulations etc.

I personally do not dislike the name of your line, but agree that the labels could do with some work (remember, humans are fickle beings)

Could you please delete this post .....it is really causing huge unintended waves.
I know the team are doing a awesome job to keep these forums. Never intended to hang a general banner of coercion above the team.
Have realised that even if promotion of certain products is happening that it happens totally unintentional.
I am truly sorry for bringing up the post.

Please do not delete this thread. I think it would serve as good education to anyone else who wants to be a start-up, as the OP even stated that another post-potential juice maker felt the same as himself.

Please do not delete this thread. I think it would serve as good education to anyone else who wants to be a start-up, as the OP even stated that another post-potential juice maker felt the same as himself.

Well it gives an insight behind what has occurred from someones venture and for that I do agree that it need not be deleted

If this is deleted, I will certainly raise a question to the admins/mods.

Back