First Corona Virus case confirmed in SA.

Testing in USA
Google Coronavirus website touted by Trump
Bloomberg14 March 2020

A Google virus testing website touted by U.S. President Donald Trump is at an early stage and will first come online in the San Francisco Bay Area on Monday.

Trump said at a news conference Friday that the site will help people figure out if they need to be tested for the coronavirus and then direct them to the closest location, which will include drive-through testing centers in Walmart and Target parking lots.

Alphabet Inc.’s Google has roughly 1,700 engineers working on the project, the president added.

The site is actually a virus triage tool being developed by Verily, a health-care unit of Alphabet.

It will be part of Verily’s Project Baseline and will be a section of the current website www.projectbaseline.com, according to a spokeswoman.

Add this link on WhatsApp messenger.
*If you do one thing today — share this service.* Help protect your loved ones by sharing this official South African government COVID-19 service with your family, friends and community. Send *HI* to *0600 123 456* on WhatsApp. OR Share this link: https://wa.me/27600123456?text=Hi Reply *MENU* to return to the main menu

Add this link on WhatsApp messenger.
*If you do one thing today — share this service.* Help protect your loved ones by sharing this official South African government COVID-19 service with your family, friends and community. Send *HI* to *0600 123 456* on WhatsApp. OR Share this link: https://wa.me/27600123456?text=Hi Reply *MENU* to return to the main menu

@Grand Guru Have you actually tried this? I don't quite understand how to do it. The above Whatsapp number (starting with 0600...) doesn't have a Whatsapp link, so how can one send a message to it? And the rest of the numbers are 123456 hmmm seems a bit fishy

@Grand Guru Have you actually tried this? I don't quite understand how to do it. The above Whatsapp number (starting with 0600...) doesn't have a Whatsapp link, so how can one send a message to it? And the rest of the numbers are 123456 hmmm seems a bit fishy
It works @Hooked. Once on WhatsApp you send Hi and it'll send back a menu. You can get lots of valuable info and live stats.

Posted by Konstantinos Farsalinos on FB https://www.facebook.com/konstantinos.farsalinos

"I am posting a translation of my previous post about the main instructions for handling the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic. They are applicable to every country and are relevant to the stage of the epidemic that we are currently experiencing in Europe (and probably soon in the US).

* Let's leave room for the healthcare system to help those who really need it *

The healthcare system is (or will be) under extreme pressure during the coronavirus epidemic. It is our duty not to over-stress the system so that it can provide its services to those who really need them. This is the only way to ensure that we can also benefit from the same services if and when we need them.

If we belong to a low-risk group (< 60 years old, without other predisposing conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, malignancy, diabetes) and we have symptoms typical of common cold (cough, nasal congestion, sore throat, fever), we should:

1. NOT GO TO THE HOSPITAL.
Visiting the hospital puts us at risk of contracting the coronavirus in case we are not infected. Even if we are infected, there is no specific treatment for coronavirus infection other than antipyretics (to lower fever), fluid replenishment (drink a lot of water) and rest. The hospital cannot offer anything else to us; in contrast, visiting a hospital will be an added risk and, at the same time, we will be wasting valuable (and limited) healthcare resources at the expense of those who really need them.

2. CONTACT OUR PERSONAL PHYSICIAN - ONLY BY PHONE.
We only consult our personal physician by phone. We do NOT visit him/her. We need to protect doctors, other patients will need them. And we need to protect patients who will be visiting doctors (in many cases for irrelevant to the coronavirus health problems). In any case, we expect to receive conventional advice, similar to what we receive for any common cold (as mentioned above, no specific therapy for the coronavirus is available right now).

3. GET INTO QUARANTINE (IN-HOUSE).
We should protect our family, our parents, our grandparents, our neighbors, our friends, our colleagues, the whole society. We should assume that we have been infected with coronavirus. This is a very small "sacrifice" considering the magnitude of the problem.

At the current stage of the epidemic (in Europe) ALL OF US are probable cases. But NOT all of us need special care and hospitalization. If we have common cold symptoms, we protect ourselves from unnecessary exposure to other patients (hospitals will be overcrowded with patients) who may be infected with coronavirus, and we protect others. We put ourselves into quarantine and we have patience.

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO ENSURE THAT SPECIAL CARE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR US TOO, IF AND WHEN WE NEED IT.

Personal responsibility and careful use of available resources will protect us, our families and the community as a whole."

Posted by Konstantinos Farsalinos on FB https://www.facebook.com/konstantinos.farsalinos

"I am posting a translation of my previous post about the main instructions for handling the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic. They are applicable to every country and are relevant to the stage of the epidemic that we are currently experiencing in Europe (and probably soon in the US).

* Let's leave room for the healthcare system to help those who really need it *

The healthcare system is (or will be) under extreme pressure during the coronavirus epidemic. It is our duty not to over-stress the system so that it can provide its services to those who really need them. This is the only way to ensure that we can also benefit from the same services if and when we need them.

If we belong to a low-risk group (< 60 years old, without other predisposing conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, malignancy, diabetes) and we have symptoms typical of common cold (cough, nasal congestion, sore throat, fever), we should:

1. NOT GO TO THE HOSPITAL.
Visiting the hospital puts us at risk of contracting the coronavirus in case we are not infected. Even if we are infected, there is no specific treatment for coronavirus infection other than antipyretics (to lower fever), fluid replenishment (drink a lot of water) and rest. The hospital cannot offer anything else to us; in contrast, visiting a hospital will be an added risk and, at the same time, we will be wasting valuable (and limited) healthcare resources at the expense of those who really need them.

2. CONTACT OUR PERSONAL PHYSICIAN - ONLY BY PHONE.
We only consult our personal physician by phone. We do NOT visit him/her. We need to protect doctors, other patients will need them. And we need to protect patients who will be visiting doctors (in many cases for irrelevant to the coronavirus health problems). In any case, we expect to receive conventional advice, similar to what we receive for any common cold (as mentioned above, no specific therapy for the coronavirus is available right now).

3. GET INTO QUARANTINE (IN-HOUSE).
We should protect our family, our parents, our grandparents, our neighbors, our friends, our colleagues, the whole society. We should assume that we have been infected with coronavirus. This is a very small "sacrifice" considering the magnitude of the problem.

At the current stage of the epidemic (in Europe) ALL OF US are probable cases. But NOT all of us need special care and hospitalization. If we have common cold symptoms, we protect ourselves from unnecessary exposure to other patients (hospitals will be overcrowded with patients) who may be infected with coronavirus, and we protect others. We put ourselves into quarantine and we have patience.

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO ENSURE THAT SPECIAL CARE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR US TOO, IF AND WHEN WE NEED IT.

Personal responsibility and careful use of available resources will protect us, our families and the community as a whole."

Thanks @Hooked, am glad you shared that with us
Dr Farsalinos explains it so well and clearly

Prepare yourself to stay in home for a very long time.

In italy it is already 5 days of quarantine, all the streets are desert, the only way u can exit from home is having a paper signed that says u are going to work or buy food (only in your hometown) or for walking your dog (or wathever animal you can walk, start learning your cat to walk on a leash). If u exit for another reason u risk to get arrested or reported to police. All the shops excpet grocery and pharmacy are closed from last wednesday, the only way to buy other things is from internet.

The quarantine will be like this since march 25 and HOPEFULLY things should be better around april 4 even if i really don't think things will get better.

No idea on what the media says in south africa, for now the deaths in italy are 95% old people (more than 70 years), and the death rate is a little bit higher of a normal influence/flu. If u are younger u can be totally symptomless but still have the virus, it can be apparently harmless for u but at the same time dangerous for other peoples around u, that's why u need to cover your face and stay at least 1 meter of distance from other people.

This isn't a bullshit or an internet meme like the ww3 of january, this is real.

In italy it is already 5 days of quarantine, all the streets are desert, the only way u can exit from home is having a paper signed that says u are going to work or buy food (only in your hometown) or for walking your dog (or wathever animal you can walk, start learning your cat to walk on a leash). If u exit for another reason u risk to get arrested or reported to police. All the shops excpet grocery and pharmacy are closed from last wednesday, the only way to buy other things is from internet.

The quarantine will be like this since march 25 and HOPEFULLY things should be better around april 4 even if i really don't think things will get better.

No idea on what the media says in south africa, for now the deaths in italy are 95% old people (more than 70 years), and the death rate is a little bit higher of a normal influence/flu. If u are younger u can be totally symptomless but still have the virus, it can be apparently harmless for u but at the same time dangerous for other peoples around u, that's why u need to cover your face and stay at least 1 meter of distance from other people.

This isn't a bullshit or an internet meme like the ww3 of january, this is real.

Thanks for telling us what it's really like there in Italy @MTL.

Thanks @MTL
I appreciate the feedback coming directly from you in Italy
The media I am reading is reporting it the same as you are telling it.

So sorry to hear about your situation
I think many South Africans are concerned about that situation of lockdown happening here.

I wanted to know when you have to get papers signed to go out, where do you get those papers signed? From the police?

And where in Italy are you if I may ask?

Travel ban for South Africa on the cards
Staff Writer15 March 2020

South Africa’s Cabinet is considering drastic measures to contain the coronavirus pandemic, including a total ban on travellers from Europe and holding sports events in empty stadiums.

This is according to a Sunday Times report, which said there may also be a limit on gatherings of 1,000 people.

“The cabinet will consider a recommendation that South Africans returning from high-risk countries be in quarantine for 14 days,” the Sunday Times said.

Thanks @MTL
I wanted to know when you have to get papers signed to go out, where do you get those papers signed? From the police?

And where in Italy are you if I may ask?

u need to download a paper and fill it https://i2.res.24o.it/pdf2010/Editr...20/03/10/modulo_autodichiarazione_1032020.pdf (it's in italian, i post it just for showing) for now u just need to have it with you to justify why u are outside your house

i live near rome and for now we had under 20 peoples with covid, in nord italy (near milan, 600km from rome) the situation is tragic

if your goverment is already shutting down services u should have no problem, unfortunately we waited too much (more than 2 weeks, officially things started getting worse from february 21) before doing it

Travel ban for South Africa on the cards
Staff Writer15 March 2020

South Africa’s Cabinet is considering drastic measures to contain the coronavirus pandemic, including a total ban on travellers from Europe and holding sports events in empty stadiums.

This is according to a Sunday Times report, which said there may also be a limit on gatherings of 1,000 people.

“The cabinet will consider a recommendation that South Africans returning from high-risk countries be in quarantine for 14 days,” the Sunday Times said.

If the govt. had used their grey matter, they would have put everyone coming into SA residents, into quarantine immediately upon arrival. All the cases so far have been from people who had been overseas and then returned to SA.

As for a travel ban in South Africa, school holidays and the Easter weekend are coming up. NOW is the time to institute a travel ban. Everyone must just stay put. Take my little town for example. We have about 1,000 permanent residents, but come Easter weekend there is an influx of visitors and the town is bursting at its seams. These visitors are those who have holiday homes here and holiday-makers who book accommodation. Just one of these people with coronavirus could spread it throughout Yzerfontein.

Summary of Presidential Address concerning the Coronavirus

1. Declared national disaster.
2. Limit contact between person.
3. Imposing travel ban between high risk countries.
4. Cancelled/revoked visas.
5. Reframe all forms of international travel.
6. Self isolation and testing on citizens returning from international countries.
7. Strengthen screening at airports.
8. SA has 72 ports of entries, 35 will be shut down effective Monday.
9. Discourage all national travel.
10. Gatherings of more than 100 people prohibited.
11. Small gatherings unavoidable prevention and control needed.
12. School closes 18 March till Easter week-end.
13. Visits to all correctional services are suspended for 30 days.
14. Businesses to intensify hygiene control.

Back