Gold plating 510 pins

Viper_SA

https://www.tiktok.com/@tinus_viper?lang=en
LV

Awards
Hi everyone,

I have four Expromizer v4's and have noticed something really weird. All four run on the same mods (Mixx SBS mods) and with the same coils (White Collar mtl). On two of the tanks I get bang on 0.75 Ohms everytime. The other two always come in at around 0.88 Ohm and 1.1 Ohm. Even when switching mods or trying them on other mods. Yesterday as a last resort I used some contact cleaner to clean all the bits and noticed that the gold plating on the two culprit tanks' 510 pins looked a bit worn off on the tip of the threading that connect to the deck. I suspect this to be the issue. Is there anywhere or way to have the gold plating redone?

Any other suggestions perhaps?

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I have four Expromizer v4's and have noticed something really weird. All four run on the same mods (Mixx SBS mods) and with the same coils (White Collar mtl). On two of the tanks I get bang on 0.75 Ohms everytime. The other two always come in at around 0.88 Ohm and 1.1 Ohm. Even when switching mods or trying them on other mods. Yesterday as a last resort I used some contact cleaner to clean all the bits and noticed that the gold plating on the two culprit tanks' 510 pins looked a bit worn off on the tip of the threading that connect to the deck. I suspect this to be the issue. Is there anywhere or way to have the gold plating redone?

Thank you

Yes. You can chat with @Mauritz55 about gold plating. He replated two of my Dvarw's!

Can you feel a difference in the vape on the affected tanks @Viper_SA ?

Can you feel a difference in the vape on the affected tanks @Viper_SA ?

Not really, but it does drain the battery faster as its firing at 4.8V to give me 20W and every so ofter I get the "check atomizer" message, which means unscrewing ind fiddling until it sorts itself out. Really annoying.

I use to make glucose testing strips for diabetics to test their blood sugar level and it's astounding when an electrical current is measured when connecting something to complete the circuit which is open to impurities and foreign bodies so in this case worn and/or dirty contact just how much background noise gets included in the reading affecting accuracy!

Not really, but it does drain the battery faster as its firing at 4.8V to give me 20W and every so ofter I get the "check atomizer" message, which means unscrewing ind fiddling until it sorts itself out. Really annoying.

ok cool
hope you get it sorted
maybe try put some electrical contact lubricant on it and see if the ohm reading returns to normal ?

Hi everyone,

Thank you
Have you maybe check the 510 pin height, the V4 has an adjustable 510

Hey there,I can most certainly help you!!However I would first nickel blast it then 18ct gold and then plate them Pure Silver!!however I have a suspicion something else is wrong…please contact me so we can look at the situation!

Hey there,I can most certainly help you!!However I would first nickel blast it then 18ct gold and then plate them Pure Silver!!however I have a suspicion something else is wrong…please contact me so we can look at the situation!

I'll give you a ring tomorrow @Mauritz55 . Sorry I missed your call today, my Whatsapp voice calls is permanently on mute. Will chat to you tomorrow then. Just find it weird that 2 out of 4 tanks have issues and all I can see is the gold plating that looks shoddy. Curious to hear your thoughts on the problem.

I have to agree with @Mauritz55 ... I don't see that the peeled off Gold plating could have that much of an effect on resistance, however metal oxides and or insulating particles / semi conductive particles would most certainly do so. As such, I would suggest stripping the 'guilty' attys down, and cleaning all the oxide and or any insulating / resistive grime off from all the electrical contact surfaces, (including all internal and external threads), thoroughly before embarking on a potentially expensive failed experiment.

1661396636108.png

Last edited:
Apologies for not getting in touch yet @Mauritz55 . I currently have the two rta's in question in my rotation, but I have one last thing to check. Will completely take apart the deck as well and split the posts etc. If that still doesn't work out, then I'll shout. I did swap around the positive pins in these two and at least now the "check atomizer" errors are gone.

Well, well, well.... Tonight suddenly another one of the four started giving me 0.89 Ohm instead of 0.75 Ohm. Only visible thing is gold plating coming off in bits on the bottom of the 510 pin. Not sure what material is beneath the gold plating, as it looks a dull gray. On more than one mod as well. My only conclusion is that it is a great tank for flavor, easy to build, but shitty construction. I'll just vape them as is until I can't bear it any longer and pif them eventually and just go for rda's in future. I've had it with rta's anyway. The Pioneer is a pain in the a$$ to wick and I only keep them around for the capacity when driving. These are only used for midnight vaping and sometimes while watching TV. The rest of the time it's DL vaping on rda's anyway. Not going to throw money at them I think. All four have brand new coils and were cleaned thoroughly. Maybe I will get someone to make me some new pins out of solid copper or brass and skip the gold plating altogether. Seems like a cheaper option and much less hassle.

Sorry to hear @Viper_SA

my Expro V4 has been going for a few yrs without a problem or any change in the resistance
but it stays on its mod - the Vaporesso Gen
i only screw it off when it needs a pit stop which is not very often

Sorry to hear @Viper_SA

my Expro V4 has been going for a few yrs without a problem or any change in the resistance
but it stays on its mod - the Vaporesso Gen
i only screw it off when it needs a pit stop which is not very often

Yeah, I pit stop mine weekly, but each goes back on it's exact same mod. Next time I need to change coils I will unscrew the positive post as well and try and see if that makes any difference if I clean that out as well, but if I do that now I'll probably mess up the brand new coils that were installed very recently. I'm just over this issue. I do know of a fellow forum member who had the very same issue on a brand new v4 that he bought and subsequently sold it. The new owner however has not complained about any such issue though... It baffles me tremendously.

Back