Good Manners

It is a natural urge for 95% of beings to host themselves in a clean habitat.... even pigs and cockroaches clean up irrespective of their environment. So if you are part of the 5%, man up and add it as a foot note... something like " im dirty and not pro hygiene, should you purchase my goods,pls be advised that you you would need to clean it ". That way it would be buyers choice.. ( the buyer might be part of the 5% and do not mind ) Good luck with the sale !!!

And then they have the cheek to list the condition as 10/10 or 9/10. Sorry Guy it hasn’t been cleaned so it’s automatic 4/10 for me so the price just came down to R100.

Last edited:
We would all obviously prefer to receive clean items if we buy second hand. I am lucky to have had good experiences.

I do however think that we tend to overreact to very small issues. Receiving a "dirty" atty is not the end of the world. Clean it and move on. You even have the option to bin it.

We live in a world which is riddled with sickness, wars, murder, rape etc. There are at least (an average) 34 murders per day and 110 women are raped every day in SA.

I can't believe that I am going to quote Oprah but here goes: "Don't sweat the small stuff".

We should be very grateful if a dirty atty is a problem in our lives.

I'm as guilty as the next guy in this case but if we are honest a dirty atty isn't really a big issue.

As far as pigs are concerned they are in fact very clean animals. I kept around 30 free range pigs for many years. They were Colebrooks (eng) Kolbroek (afr.). In their unstressed natural state, they are very clean animals. The "dirtiest" thing that they do is roll in mud. This is to keep cool and to help protect themselves from ticks, fleas and other pests. Pigs locked up in a sty will be dirty. No farmer can afford to keep a sty perfectly clean.

Fortunately all of the 5 mods and atties I've bought and got from members were spotless and some even newly coiled with a bonus bottle of juice.:campeon:

When I joined this forum within a few days there was a thread regarding people's ethics/manners for misspelling words, bad grammar etc. So I wondered how must people like me feel, for who english is not their first language, or who maybe are dislectic or just did not do good in school. Now suddenly they are bad people.

But dont worry, not to long later, another ethics thread appeared, this time anyone buying clones was the scum of the earth, had no ethics.

Bad wait thats not all. Now if you sell something and its not super clean you have bad manners. It wasnt mentioned in a nice way. No, you will be, named and shamed, you are dirty, you are a pig. Your cupboards and house are discussed, your personality?

Brings me back to people living in glass houses. I wonder what will happen if you take one of these glass house residents, and you point out things they do wrong and start calling them names? Will that be ok?

This whole thing reminds me of my wife and many people I know. They beliece that before we leave te house, all dishes etc must be washed, because just maybe we die and people then coming to our house will think we live like pigs. So I always wonder, say Im late for something and leave without washing this mornings breakfast dishes. If I then die, will I be remembered for being a pig rather than for all the good I have done my whole life, because I did not wash two plates?

So if someone now maybe did not use something for months and forgot he did not clean it and sells it in a hurry. Now he is branded as a pig, dirty house, bad manners, certain personality?

Not only making a big thing about nothing, also find time to insult people

Hi @Jean claude Vaaldamme , you are entitled to your views and its great you have voiced yours.

Others are entitled to theirs

All I know is that if I see a nice clean atty advertised and I receive a dirty one, I am not impressed.
That's it. Simple.

My money is on that being, for lack of a better word, mouth crusties/ mouth snot lol.
Had a few instances where people insist you taste their vape. And then you see the crusty dried mayonnaise looking driptip.

@M.Adhir Boy scouts motto: Be Prepared. Carry some of these with you - easy to pop in your pocket or vape bag. @Andre told me about them a long time ago and since then I've never been without them. I got these from Takealot but any pharmacy/Clicks/Dischem should have them.

Alcohol Prep Pads.jpg

I don't clean my mods every night, but before I go to sleep I give the drip-tips a wipe, using these little alcohol pads. Just like brushing one's teeth before bed.

I personally feel that as forum and it’s members we all have the right to voice our opinion. At the same time the forum and the forum community have a right to try guide the forum towards a better experience for all. Sure there is a percentage of forumites who don’t mind clones or receiving dirty second hand goods but wouldn’t you prefer some sort of standard best practice that is implemented for the greater good of everyone? And I’m not covering the clone discussion here as it’s a topic that was discussed to death.

All Rob was saying is that he has received a few complaints which means this appears to be more common than we think, sure maybe his choice of words required some consideration but it wasn’t offenses as some are implying. Plus add to that the forum does have rules for selling second hand goods and as it appears from the complaints received some people are creating a false impression of what they are advertising, it’s simply not acceptable for some and not a big deal for others so what is the better thing to do in this situation?

Do we ignore it or is making a point of it not the better approach as somewhere someone is going to remember this thread and the points put across by all and think to themselves “shit let me rather take 20min and clean my atty before this person gets it”. Change doesn’t happen unless we, the people request change.

I for one, have no problem with the for sale classifieds rules being amended to include that goods must be cleaned before selling.

@Jean claude Vaaldamme your comment on “glass houses” is totally uncalled for. No point in crucify anyone and everyone who holds any sort of standard or expression for enjoying the finer things in life. If someone offends me I will rather PM them directly because that is also good manors not to air ones dirty landry in front of others especially online or in social media. No one is forcing anyone to do anything, things get raised for discussion and generation of opinions. The forum exists for the enjoyment of vaping in what ever form or price range that it is being expressed and for the greater good of the community. No one is looking down on anyone, it’s a community where we discuss and share things. I will however agree with you that we all need to be more aware of our choice of words and before putting something out there ask ourselves if someone said or called me this would it offend me.

This thread will always be about the topic raised “good manner”. Manors is something my parents and grand parents taught me and it was simple things like always say please and thank you or my Gran who always drilled it into me to wear clean or polished shoes which I still do to this day. It is a simple message of take pride in yourself and your belongings and it’s good manners to do so.

At the end of the day the message that was been put across is “don’t sell or send anyone dirty second hand goods”, if you took the time to take a photo and write the for sale post, surely you could take the time to make your for sale item is presentable or at the bear minimum give the other person a heads up that you didn’t clean it because apparently you are too busy to do the small things that matter most. At least then as the buyer I can decide if this is acceptable or not which could then result in a cancellation of the sale which is at least fair. To many people join the forum simply to come on and sell their vape gear without further consideration for this community, so it’s simple then, follow the rules or don’t bother joining.

Last edited:
I personally feel that as forum and it’s members we all have the right to voice our opinion. At the same time the forum and the forum community have a right to try guide the forum towards a better experience for all. Sure there is a percentage of forumites who don’t mind clones or receiving dirty second hand goods but wouldn’t you prefer some sort of standard best practice that is implemented for the greater good of everyone? And I’m not covering the clone discussion here as it’s a topic that was discussed to death.

All Rob was saying is that he has received a few complaints which means this appears to be more common than we think, sure maybe his choice of words required some consideration but it wasn’t offenses as some are implying. Plus add to that the forum does have rules for selling second hand goods and as it appears from the complaints received some people are creating a false impression of what they are advertising, it’s simply not acceptable for some and not a big deal for others so what is the better thing to do in this situation?

Do we ignore it or is making a point of it not the better approach as somewhere someone is going to remember this thread and the points put across by all and think to themselves “shit let me rather take 20min and clean my atty before this person gets it”. Change doesn’t happen unless we, the people request change.

I for one, have no problem with the for sale classifieds rules being amended to include that goods must be cleaned before selling.

@Jean claude Vaaldamme your comment on “glass houses” is totally uncalled for. No point in crucify anyone and everyone who holds any sort of standard or expression for enjoying the finer things in life. If someone offends me I will rather PM them directly because that is also good manors not to air ones dirty landry in front of others especially online or in social media. No one is forcing anyone to do anything, things get raised for discussion and generation of opinions. The forum exists for the enjoyment of vaping in what ever form or price range that it is being expressed and for the greater good of the community. No one is looking down on anyone, it’s a community where we discuss and share things. I will however agree with you that we all need to be more aware of our choice of words and before putting something out there ask ourselves if someone said or called me this would it offend me.

This thread will always be about the topic raised “good manner”. Manors is something my parents and grand parents taught me and it was simple things like always say please and thank you or my Gran who always drilled it into me to wear clean or polished shoes which I still do to this day. It is a simple message of take pride in yourself and your belongings and it’s good manners to do so.

At the end of the day the message is that was been put across is “don’t sell or send anyone dirty second hand goods”, if you took the time to take a photo and write the for sale post, surely you could take the time to make your for sale item presentable or at the bear minimum give the other person a heads up that you didn’t clean it because apparently you are too busy to do the small things that matter most. At least then as the buyer I can decide if this is acceptable or not which could then result in a cancellation of the sale which is at least fair. To many people join the forum simply to come on and sell their vape gear without a further consideration for this community, simple, follow the rules or don’t bother joining.
So let me just get this right. You say that calling people pigs, discussing their houses, personality etc is "maybe not the right choice of words". And then you say me calling these people, that said these things, living in glass houses" totally uncalled for"?
Are you for real? Read your whole statement, you want to dictate what you see as bad manners, but not once did you say people calling other people names is really bad manners? Maybe because ypu must callout your friends then?

As for your finer things is life. Some people try to be fancy others are. In a restaurant a classy person will never make a scene about dirty stuff old cold food etc. A wannabe pleb will however make a big scene, to try and convince people he is classy and enjoys the finer things in life

Cannot relate or agree with your post Jean. This discussion is not about social structure, that is a completely different topic and debate... like politics it will keep us busy for years due to the diversity of opinion.
Think the point for me is that if you are going to sell something to me, at least give me the option to decide... ( clean, dirty,dented,perfect,black,SS,old,new and so on )
I grew up on a farm and view myself as the good old common folk, practical and proud of whom i am. FANCY im not, hygiene conscious I am...( maybe compulsive, then again as you mentioned all people are different and i believe we all have our own issues )so all im asking is to give me the choice.

It all comes down to respect, in my opinion. Just having enough respect for yourself and the other person to not let other them clean up after you. It does not take that long to clean any vape gear.

I must say that i have never received a dirty piece of hardware that i purchased in the classifieds but if it was too be dirty then i would not hesitate calling out the guy in public simply because i did not receive the item as advertised.
I feel that people need to be shamed because that would make others aware of the consequences of a bad deal. This in turn would make them more cautious to not make the same mistake as the called-out bloke and dealings would more likely go smoother. Mr call-out would also automatically step up his game.
On the other hand this possibility could all have been avoided by just communicating with the seller prior to purchase of the condition you would like to receive the item in. Then everyone has a heads up and possible consequences is fair game. :)

I sometimes feel I dont get the respect I deserve on this forum:-D
Im organizing a big giveaway for you all(again). And no thanks?:rofl:

Naming and shaming is totally uncalled for.

Put a disclaimer in the classifieds and if a user breaks this rule, hand out a classifieds ban and notification to the accused. A tad more professional.

Ive had 2 items that I would consider dirty.
The one was a flavor stained tank that took weeks to get the rasperry out (wasnt too bad) and the other was really gross, the driptip was PACKED with Drip tip lip scummm, Now Ill admit its not the end of the world but I really didnt enjoy the vape on it (YES, I cleaned it with ISO alcohol) as it kept flashing the image of the scum in my mind on every puff, goes without saying that I didnt use that tank.
Do I blame the seller? NO, I blame myself for not asking for more pics, or recent pics.

With that said, id prefer a Clean tank on purchase (or AT LEAST a clean driptip), its just decent.
BUT on the other hand, Not everyone is Full blown vape fanatics, and to them a vape is a vape is a vape, so why clean it all the time? then you also have the other end where its new stuff newbs are selling as the 1st tank is not working for them or they are not familiar with Vape etiquette by then.

But instead of lighting the torches and getting the pitchforks to go and burn the Filthy Vaper (name & Shame), why not make sure of what you buy before you buy it? At least that what I do if or when I buy from classifieds after my other experiences.

Be that guy! Ask for whatsapp pics of it as it is Right now, from every angle if you have to. At the end of the day YOU are paying money for it and once you accept a deal, you've accepted it as is. Dirty or not.

So in short, do your homework and ask the necessary questions/pics. dont blame the seller for having certain level of gross hygiene. besides, if you asked for pics its likely that you would have spotted the filth if it was That bad.
And even if after all that its still not acceptable, keep in mind you are buying from Classifieds.... There is a inherent risk when buying anything second hand.
So accept it or buy new stuff, Jy kanie jou broodjie aan altwee kante gebotter he nie.
... end of opinionated rant

Now before the trolls rise... Obviously if there a a known crook, or deceiver on the classifieds then Just SIMPLY BAN HIM, end of story. the other alternative would be to push the post count waay up so that only experienced members with the 'necessary etiquette' can sell.

My comment about personality was quite accurate,and clearly I struck a nerve.So my apologies if I hurt some peoples feelings but hey,if the shoe fits...
Well life works like this, I have sold many things here on the forum, if someone like me is vocal on a thread like this, surely someone would have come to stab me here if I sold something to them that was not clean or condition as stated.
But I have bought something from one of the nicest guys on the forum, that had juice in it. Must I judge him now like you lot do, call him names? No he is still a nice guy and maybe forgot or was in a hurry. I did not mind taking 30sec to wash it out. Was a great deal anyway.

Well life works like this, I have sold many things here on the forum, if someone like me is vocal on a thread like this, surely someone would have come to stab me here if I sold something to them that was not clean or condition as stated.
But I have bought something from one of the nicest guys on the forum, that had juice in it. Must I judge him now like you lot do, call him names? No he is still a nice guy and maybe forgot or was in a hurry. I did not mind taking 30sec to wash it out. Was a great deal anyway.

Nobody insinuated that YOU are selling dirty tanks,it was a thread started by members who felt that it was wrong,I purely made an observation that if someone sells gear in that condition and find it acceptable I dont want to know what chaos lies deep beneath the surface,but then again,its just from a personal point of view,I was not attacking anyone,but by the reactions theres clearly skeletons or crocs in the closet.

If it takes the buyer 2mins to clean the tank,why couldnt the seller just take 2mins and clean the tank before sending it?Anyways,I see this thread is going the same route as many others recently.

giphy.gif

Regardless of an item being new or 2nd hand, I will clean it thoroughly before using it. But if you send me something dirty and disgusting you will hear from me, believe it. It's inconsiderate, and no matter what has been said, it reflects poorly on you as a person in my opinion.

I think to solve the problem on this forum, on the sale template, add a new requirement: "Cleaned: Y/N"

That way, buyers will know what to expect and more often than not, sellers would clean it out anyways because now it's being pointed out.

/thread

Back