Goon LP - Building

Took my Goon LP apart and started over. I used clapton Ni80 wire (not fused clapton) this time, 7 wraps, 0.37ohm. I also lifted the coils so that they were higher than last time (used @Fuzz ’s pic for reference - thanks again!).

I ramped it up to 50W and what do you know, a little bit of flavour! This is very exciting.. I’m using Opus Interlude, I can taste a bit of the cream and honey in it! Also, there is more vapour production this time.

Observations:

I immediately noticed a difference in heat on not only my Goon, but my mod (Smok T-Priv) as well.

Yesterday, with the superfine fused Ni80 clapton wire, both my Goon and my mod got pretty hot at 35W and I hardly vaped. So for safety reasons, I decided to leave it and took my Goon off my mod.

Now, I think I could even vape it with the normal cap and my Azure Stone drip tip on. Temp levels really seem good with this normal clapton Ni80 wire!

Does new cotton and wire need time to be “broken in”? It’s a small bit of hope I’m holding on to lol.. could flavour improve slightly at all after a while? I feel much happier about this build.

Took my Goon LP apart and started over. I used clapton Ni80 wire (not fused clapton) this time, 7 wraps, 0.37ohm. I also lifted the coils so that they were higher than last time (used @Fuzz ’s pic for reference - thanks again!).

I ramped it up to 50W and what do you know, a little bit of flavour! This is very exciting.. I’m using Opus Interlude, I can taste a bit of the cream and honey in it! Also, there is more vapour production this time.

Observations:

I immediately noticed a difference in heat on not only my Goon, but my mod (Smok T-Priv) as well.

Yesterday, with the superfine fused Ni80 clapton wire, both my Goon and my mod got pretty hot at 35W and I hardly vaped. So for safety reasons, I decided to leave it and took my Goon off my mod.

Now, I think I could even vape it with the normal cap and my Azure Stone drip tip on. Temp levels really seem good with this normal clapton Ni80 wire!

Does new cotton and wire need time to be “broken in”? It’s a small bit of hope I’m holding on to lol.. could flavour improve slightly at all after a while? I feel much happier about this build.
What cotton are you using? I sometimes get a cotton from cotton bacon but that does go away after a few pulls. Wife is good to go after you’ve pulsed and sorted out the hot spots.

Do you have a pic of you coils through the airflow slot?

Also, remember that any time you go from a power setting that worked on a Single Coil (hadaly) to a dual coil, you could almost double the wattage as there are now two coils that share the same current as you previously sent through a single coil.
The whole "double the wattage" is only my rule of thumb, it will depend greatly on the type of coils and therefore the ohms you are running, and were running in single.

PS, very pretty clean coils you built there, as for that one on the right, nothing a glowie pinch can't fix.
keep playing, you'll get there.

What cotton are you using? I sometimes get a cotton from cotton bacon but that does go away after a few pulls. Wife is good to go after you’ve pulsed and sorted out the hot spots.

Do you have a pic of you coils through the airflow slot?

I’m unfortunately using Japanese Cotton. I don’t like it, but it came in the Coil Master Ready Box kit.

Here’s a couple pics:

2B0D71CD-69E2-4721-B711-4F2DF0CF071C.jpeg
70E5FDFE-8391-47CB-B478-CA40A914481A.jpeg

Also, remember that any time you go from a power setting that worked on a Single Coil (hadaly) to a dual coil, you could almost double the wattage as there are now two coils that share the same current as you previously sent through a single coil.
The whole "double the wattage" is only my rule of thumb, it will depend greatly on the type of coils and therefore the ohms you are running, and were running in single.

PS, very pretty clean coils you built there, as for that one on the right, nothing a glowie pinch can't fix.
keep playing, you'll get there.

Thanks very much for the info! @GerritVisagie

Update: I switched flavours to Shipwrecked, and it’s.. pretty descent in the Goon! I’m liking it. I’ll need to try some other flavours though, and see how they are.

O Yeah... the goon LP has big airflow for the tiny coils you're able to fit in it.
Cut your airflow by... Mmmm quarter...
See how the Flav jumps.
Also move your coils, so your airflow hits middle to bottom of the coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send some pics of the build, wicked and ready.
Maybe, just maybe, there are some more tips from the peeps

I just opened up my LP and I have claptons in them, I had no idea lol.. excuse the wick, need to redress it..
686EEB13-3B27-421E-82FF-9771B9F689DA.jpeg

Those coils look really good!! I’ll save it for reference, thanks a lot for posting this pic @M5000

O Yeah... the goon LP has big airflow for the tiny coils you're able to fit in it.
Cut your airflow by... Mmmm quarter...
See how the Flav jumps.
Also move your coils, so your airflow hits middle to bottom of the coil.

I was just about to say close the airflow off a lot more and flavour should increase exponentially!

I was just about to say close the airflow off a lot more and flavour should increase exponentially!

Yes, it has helped thanks guys. ;)

So far I’ve tried out 3 different juices and I’m getting pretty descent results.

Anyway, I’m pleased for now, but I’m still going to do a lot more experimenting!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Yes, it has helped thanks guys. ;)

So far I’ve tried out 3 different juices and I’m getting pretty descent results.

Anyway, I’m pleased for now, but I’m still going to do a lot more experimenting!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to this thread!
We’re here when you need us again.

This is what it’s all about!!

Id try raising those coils just a smidge.
Get the air flowing under them, not over.

No probs brudda, helping out is what we do.
keep us in the loop.

You doing great @Carnival

i agree with @GerritVisagie and @Paul33
Try reduce the airflow a bit and see what happens

Am enjoying following this thread !

Back