Holy fireballs (lighting your cotton)

Well this is interesting, curious to give it a try and see if it makes a difference for me.

Ok, here are my thoughts on this.

Don't, anytime a flame or temperatures close to where a flame in this scenario will burn, molecules come about that are carcinogenic and exactly that, which most of us are trying to get away from. Those that don't want to get away from these, you may as well go back to using tobacco the way the red man taught it to the white intruders.

If you get cotton flavour, from a new build, I suspect you're doing something wrong. I've used coil master and cotton bacon and can't say I've ever tasted the cotton. --- Maybe you're not drenching your wick well enough before you're starting to vape your new build?

If you're running more than 20-25W, I'd put you in the high power category, I run 35W sometimes, with a certain atty/build at the moment, but then again, its temp. controlled, does this still count? I suppose so, even though it only runs 35W for 1 second or less, before control kicks in.

Either way, burning your cotton deliberately, can only be a bad thing, in my mind and I do not recommend you do it.

Ok, here are my thoughts on this.

Don't, anytime a flame or temperatures close to where a flame in this scenario will burn, molecules come about that are carcinogenic and exactly that, which most of us are trying to get away from. Those that don't want to get away from these, you may as well go back to using tobacco the way the red man taught it to the white intruders.

If you get cotton flavour, from a new build, I suspect you're doing something wrong. I've used coil master and cotton bacon and can't say I've ever tasted the cotton. --- Maybe you're not drenching your wick well enough before you're starting to vape your new build?

If you're running more than 20-25W, I'd put you in the high power category, I run 35W sometimes, with a certain atty/build at the moment, but then again, its temp. controlled, does this still count? I suppose so, even though it only runs 35W for 1 second or less, before control kicks in.

Either way, burning your cotton deliberately, can only be a bad thing, in my mind and I do not recommend you do it.
I have never tried this method (And i probably never will) but I would be seriously worried about damaging peek insulators and o-rings with an open flame!

I occasionally get a cotton taste for 3 or 4 puffs after a rewick but I agree that 9/10 times the cotton taste is just not there!
I found that wicking too tightly gives the cotton taste until the cotton is thinned out from the burning of the cotton via the coil and a few puffs to get there....

@Kalahari stoommasjien when you light the cotton its the juice that is burning , if your cotton has burnt then you did not saturate the cotton enough or you let the flame burn for too long therfore burning your cotton.

You are not vaping on the atty with the flame burning so im sure there wont be more carcinogenic molecules than eating a steak well done.

@Christos those 4 or 5 puffs of cotton taste will be a thing of the past.

But each to their own and if you happy the way things are working for you than thats awesome.
If not than try this technique or dont its all good in the hood. :)

The lighting of the saturated cotton works a charm. Especially on stubborn cotton like Kendo.

Learnt that trick from the Cartel a little while back and i use it all the time on new wicks.

Basically how you do it is, saturate your new wick with juice then fire your mod with atty on (without top cap) while firing take a lighter and expose flame to cotton.

The cotton will light up let it burn for about 2/3 seconds and blow out flame and stop firing the mod .

Resaturate the wicks and repeat this process another 2 times.

You will no longer get that cotton taste from your new wick even on your first drag.
Just use cotton candy

Just use cotton candy

The problem with that is Cotton Candy is Rayon and doesn't handle tank and higher power as well as cotton does. A better option would be to just use Cotton Bacon, Fiber Freaks Cotton Blend or Paronin cotton.

Rayon is outstanding for low power with fruits and menthols but isn't that great for higher power and other juices.

@Kalahari stoommasjien when you light the cotton its the juice that is burning , if your cotton has burnt then you did not saturate the cotton enough or you let the flame burn for too long therfore burning your cotton.

You are not vaping on the atty with the flame burning so im sure there wont be more carcinogenic molecules than eating a steak well done.

@Christos those 4 or 5 puffs of cotton taste will be a thing of the past.

But each to their own and if you happy the way things are working for you than thats awesome.
If not than try this technique or dont its all good in the hood. :)

Ok, looked at the video as well, since its the juice that's burning only, how is this supposed to remove the "cotton taste" that some people reportedly get?
I still think if you're getting a cotton taste, you're doing something wrong, probably not letting the wick get properly saturated before using it, I'm guessing.
Also, if only the juice is set alight, there could still be some nasty molecules formed that don't just evaporate and move off, so stating that you're not vaping on the atty at the time, means not all that much in my eyes, but hey, carry on, don't let me stop you. Like I prefixed my original post on this "Ok, here are my thoughts on this."
This means it ain't gospel, these are my thoughts, but you may explain how, burning your juice only and everything was perfect to start off and you got cotton taste and the cotton did not get singed or anything, how this should take away the cotton tasted, that you reportedly got, without the burning of the juice. A scientific explanation about what exactly is happening would be great, I'm trying to understand what's going on here, not that I'd start burning my juices or anything else for that matter, but hey, I'd like to understand what it is that is occurring when you burn the juice and how this is reportedly helping in the taste/cotton taste department.

Ok, looked at the video as well, since its the juice that's burning only, how is this supposed to remove the "cotton taste" that some people reportedly get?
I still think if you're getting a cotton taste, you're doing something wrong, probably not letting the wick get properly saturated before using it, I'm guessing.
Also, if only the juice is set alight, there could still be some nasty molecules formed that don't just evaporate and move off, so stating that you're not vaping on the atty at the time, means not all that much in my eyes, but hey, carry on, don't let me stop you. Like I prefixed my original post on this "Ok, here are my thoughts on this."
This means it ain't gospel, these are my thoughts, but you may explain how, burning your juice only and everything was perfect to start off and you got cotton taste and the cotton did not get singed or anything, how this should take away the cotton tasted, that you reportedly got, without the burning of the juice. A scientific explanation about what exactly is happening would be great, I'm trying to understand what's going on here, not that I'd start burning my juices or anything else for that matter, but hey, I'd like to understand what it is that is occurring when you burn the juice and how this is reportedly helping in the taste/cotton taste department.

This process definetly does work brother.
And even cotton bacon does have a slight cotton taste on the first few drags.

Im not scientist and i may be wrong but my only logical thinking as to why this works is that the flame needs the juice to carry on burning so it causes the cotton to absorb juice in order to keep the flame burning and by thus saturates the cotton fibres completly leaving no dry fibres.

I'd probably hold off with the christmas carols by flaming wick light until Dr Farsalinos gives it his all clear, doubt thats going to happen though.

Hey @Clouds4Days
Thanks for the video - you on the ball man!
Was cool to see you on the screen - lekker man

Also remember peeps diffrent types of wicking material behaves diffrently from one to the next, some absorb juice into the fibres faster than others.

I like the flavour i get from Kendo Gold on dessert juices but never used it that much because it takes a while for all the fibres to become completly saturated.
But now im using Kendo more often since learning this technique.

If you not getting any cotton taste on a fresh wick then what you are doing and using is working for you, and no need to go setting stuff alight .

Good day my fellow vape enthusiasts.
Recently I had a friend build on my petri 24 Rta.
While doing the dry fire to break in the cotton, he pulled out a lighter and lit the cotton....
I'd just like to find out the reason for this if anybody could explain it would be highly appreciated.
(not sure if it was asked before)
Thanks

Shout out to my man Wolf for bringing this up, I'm still "fireballin'" :flamethrower2::-D

This has brought about some love for my gorge cotton that never sees the light of day. Works like a charm :headbang:

Shout out to my man Wolf for bringing this up, I'm still "fireballin'" :flamethrower2::-D

This has brought about some love for my gorge cotton that never sees the light of day. Works like a charm :headbang:
Thanks my brother enjoy the fireballs hahaha.
I have tried it a few times after and I've tried without fireballs I must say flavour is indeed much better after throwing a few fireballs

Hi everyone,

So I had a redo of my cotton taste gone video which I had thrown up quickly for the guys here at ecigssa to demonstrate how it works. I took down the old vid about a year back but just never got around to throwing it together again but finally here it is.
Alot probably already know this method but with the ever growing community of vapers it's always good to have this tip up on the Tube.
Cheers...

Last edited:
I personally believe it's got to do with burning the loose cotton fibres away. These fibres usually would flatten and sit against your coil until you've vaped enough for them to burn away. Instead, you take a flame to the cotton and get it done before vaping.

I feel like it's a waste of time, but if it works for you then that's great stuff. I've met a few people who will go out of their way to do this before vaping.

You can clearly see the loose fibres in the image below. I personally don't think it has much to do with saturating the cotton at all. And I feel like it's largely a placebo effect. But again, if it works for you, that's all that matters in the end.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Hi everyone,

So I had a redo of my cotton taste gone video which I had thrown up quickly for the guys here at ecigssa to demonstrate how it works. I took down the old vid about a year back but just never got around to throwing it together again but finally here it is.
Alot probably already know this method but with the ever growing community of vapers it's always good to have this tip up on the Tube.
Cheers...

@Clouds4Days ,I am trying this. I have always gotten a cotton taste on whatever cotton I use. I also get better flavour the dryer the cotton and always after a slight dry hit. So next re-wick I'm burning some sh!t!!!
I have also recently tried other wicks so it's ON!

I think the science to this is drawing out whatever is in the cotton and burning it off. So this makes sense to me.

I personally believe it's got to do with burning the loose cotton fibres away. These fibres usually would flatten and sit against your coil until you've vaped enough for them to burn away. Instead, you take a flame to the cotton and get it done before vaping.

I feel like it's a waste of time, but if it works for you then that's great stuff. I've met a few people who will go out of their way to do this before vaping.

You can clearly see the loose fibres in the image below. I personally don't think it has much to do with saturating the cotton at all. And I feel like it's largely a placebo effect. But again, if it works for you, that's all that matters in the end.

View attachment 193841

It could possibly be the reason, all I know is it works (for me atleast).

If you getting a cotton taste I would give it a try its gonna take you a extra 15seconds to do this method so not really a time waister.

I have a lighter in my rewicking kit so I'm all prepped whenever I rewick.

@Clouds4Days ,I am trying this. I have always gotten a cotton taste on whatever cotton I use. I also get better flavour the dryer the cotton and always after a slight dry hit. So next re-wick I'm burning some sh!t!!!
I have also recently tried other wicks so it's ON!

Let me know how it goes @Resistance.
I swear by this method (fok, boobies, shyt :-D) .

Been using this method for 2 years now and it works for me, but there is that 5% that say it doesnt work.

Been using this method for 2 years now and it works for me, but there is that 5% that say it doesnt work.
Will do. Like I said I slightly scorch my cotton after a re-wick and haven't thought of this. I have also probably re-wicked the zues single 10-times this week.and might just do it for fun again soon.

I think it's a bit more than 5% ;) I just don't get a cotton taste ever.

Back