Horizontal vs vertical builds

Imotions

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi all

Im in need of help or explanation if possible
Whynis it that if i put my coil vertically i get a higher ohm reading whereas i put it horizontally it goes lower

26g kanthal... number of wraps vary as i was trying something but i had a coil or well wire i was messing around with had 8 wraps and i went down to 3 wraps and still both readings were different
Thisnwas done directly on my mod rx200 using the therom tank
I just want to find out why as i wanna try vertical coils but im keep getting like 1.something readings

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi all

Im in need of help or explanation if possible
Whynis it that if i put my coil vertically i get a higher ohm reading whereas i put it horizontally it goes lower

26g kanthal... number of wraps vary as i was trying something but i had a coil or well wire i was messing around with had 8 wraps and i went down to 3 wraps and still both readings were different
Thisnwas done directly on my mod rx200 using the therom tank
I just want to find out why as i wanna try vertical coils but im keep getting like 1.something readings

If it's the same coil (i.e. same amount of metal) and you are mounting it in the same mounting holes, then it should have an identical ohm reading. (whether positioned vertically or horizontally)

If it is dual coils, maybe you are somehow mounting it in series and not in parallel?

Total resistance of two 0.5 ohm coils in series for example will be 1 ohm.
In parallel they will be 0.25 ohms.

@Imotions, maybe take a photo for us of the two setups and we may be able to advise you better

Hi @Silver it was just something i was wanting to do so i made a coil put it in horizontally it read something around .3ohm so i put it vertical and it read high around 1.something ... its not a coil i have setup already... hence i tried various amount of wraps.... im aiming for single dual and quad vertical because i got 3 diff tanks i want to try on... i only put single coil though and thinking now after reading above it should cut down if its dual etc however why the difference when horizontal and vertical

Hi @Silver it was just something i was wanting to do so i made a coil put it in horizontally it read something around .3ohm so i put it vertical and it read high around 1.something ... its not a coil i have setup already... hence i tried various amount of wraps.... im aiming for single dual and quad vertical because i got 3 diff tanks i want to try on... i only put single coil though and thinking now after reading above it should cut down if its dual etc however why the difference when horizontal and vertical

That is very strange - the positioning of the coil shouldn't make a difference to the ohm reading.
Perhaps do it again and take a picture of the 0.3 reading horizontally - then do the same you did for vertical and take a picture again. Maybe it will shed some light as to what is going on.

Ill try again and see what happens @Silver but its really crazy to see the change lol because nothing else change but the position

Ill try again and see what happens @Silver but its really crazy to see the change lol because nothing else change but the position

Agreed - the orientation shouldnt change the resistance
Unless maybe you were looking at the screen upside down ;-)

The length of the coils tails can change ohm value if the tails are longer or shorter in one orientation than the other. Can also be how conductive the connection is in the posts. A loose connection and a secure one can read different ohm values.

The length of the coils tails can change ohm value if the tails are longer or shorter in one orientation than the other. Can also be how conductive the connection is in the posts. A loose connection and a secure one can read different ohm values.
Ohk so the tails can also affect reading?

Take note this is not a proffesional build but something i was trying out so its not perfect.... hope its not the cause though
20161003_152727.jpg20161003_152736.jpg

20161003_152611.jpg20161003_152618.jpg

Take note i tried snipping the tails and still got same readings

I think you need to take apart that Theorem's 510 assembly and clean it.
You should have no reading ie a check atomiser msg, your readings are probably due to burnt juice buildup inside the electrical connection.

Agree with @blujeenz. I see you used two different sets of holes, may be something in those holes is causing this, may even be stripped screws. The tails after the posts wont effect anything, the current ignores these as it flows, its the length from the start/end wrap to the post where it is secured that can effect resistance as @Spydro stated.

Ohk cool stuff ill clean everything later and try again .... with this said im new to building so going to be doing alot of trial and errors so dont let the love you guys have die on me .... i rather learn on my own than getting shown over and over by someone

Ohk cool stuff ill clean everything later and try again .... with this said im new to building so going to be doing alot of trial and errors so dont let the love you guys have die on me .... i rather learn on my own than getting shown over and over by someone

We are all here to learn, absolutely no one is going to bash you bud, and further more if you find out what the problem is you may end up teaching us something.

Agree with @blujeenz. I see you used two different sets of holes, may be something in those holes is causing this, may even be stripped screws. The tails after the posts wont effect anything, the current ignores these as it flows, its the length from the start/end wrap to the post where it is secured that can effect resistance as @Spydro stated.

Agree, can be an atty connection issue.

What I was referring to put another way that may be easier to understand... (not enough coffee yet after a hard night)... the total length of the wire from the negative to positive connections determines the end value. If not the same between your horizontal and vertical installs (of the exact same coils) because of the tail lengths to the connections the ohm value will not be the same.

Now that you have included pictures, note that the tails are way longer in the vertical install than with the horizontal install. So they would not read the same in both installs if they both have secure connections. However, unless you mixed up the pictures of the readings on the mod, the values are bassackwards (unless I'm still up in the night). The vertical build with longer tails (so longer total wire length) should have a higher value than the shorter tailed horizontal build has. If you used the exact same coils for both more likely a problem with your connections/atty.

Im going to even try with a pre wrapped coil and see just meed to get to 5pm passed all the traffic and into thenyard

Ohk so i tried and tried and tried once again all different amounts of wraps lengths or wire and still got different readings.... couldnt find my prewrapped coils though... i tried cleaning the posts also and still same thing which makes me wanna do it more till i get it right

Ok, so before you go crazy, when you get home tonight you need to try a process of elimination. Take some 26 ga kanthal, make a coil of 3 mm ID and 4 wraps, with about 5 mm leg length, this should come out to about 0.6 ohms.

Now in your pictures you showed us your horizontal and vertical coils but in different sets of of post holes, you need to compare similar parameters to get a proper answer, so what you need to do is take your coil install it horizontal with the left leg in the left negative and the right leg trapped under the top right screw of the positive, then take note of the reading. After that install the exact same coil but the right leg in the right negative post and the left leg in the top left screw of the positive.

If these readings are more or less the same then you can start to look at how you are installing the coil, if this is the case it's more than likely that you are changing the shape. However if these readings are very different, whichever configuration is the most out from 0.6, you will need to start tapping the legs lightly with your tweezers while the coil is installed and see what the ohm readings do, whichever leg makes the ohms jump the most that post hole/screw is your culprit.

Try that tonight and then tell us your findings.

Back