How Far?

August 2013. RM2. 1.5 mm drill bit. 28g Kanthal. Around 1.2 ohms. Excitement, intimidation and GLORY describes it perfectly @Mida Khan!
PqvHKAC.jpg

October 2017. Mostly 2.5 mm IDs. Kanthal 27g, SS304 27g, Claptoned Kanthal wire (not self made). My first coil jig below. Still using one like that, but with thicker mandrels. That feeling of satisfaction on seeing you own build coil glowing perfectly never goes away!
hI9DNKy.jpg

Last edited:
Building 2 years still building simple single 24G or 26G 0.4ohm to 0.5ohm 3mm diameter kanthal or SS coils.

O and I forgot, they still look like shyte, my skills did not improve, but they work fine​

My first build wasn't too long ago. I bought a Pharaoh RTA and the guy at the vape store coiled and wicked her for me the first time. After that I bought a box of those Demon Killer mixed coils to try out. I still remember putting a alien coil in there and wicking it with way too much cotton. I had to wait 2 minutes after every drag so that it could re-wick. Still I thought it was amazing and couldn't wait to show it off.

Since then I have re-wicked countless RTA's, RDA's, RDTA's and have sort of mastered the skill. I have now moved on to building my own coils and knocked my first set of Aliens out of the park last night (28g*3/36g NiCr80). I love every minute of this non stop learning experience.

20171012_195401_resized.jpg

August 2013. RM2. 1.5 mm drill bit. 28g Kanthal. Around 1.2 ohms. Excitement, intimidation and GLORY describes it perfectly @Mida Khan!
PqvHKAC.jpg

October 2017. Mostly 2.5 mm IDs. Kanthal 27g, SS304 27g, Claptoned Kanthal wire (not self made). My first coil jig below. Still using one like that, but with thicker mandrels. That feeling of satisfaction on seeing you own build coil glowing perfectly never goes away!
hI9DNKy.jpg
You've come far! Fancy toys and all ;)

PqvHKAC.jpg

hI9DNKy.jpg

When i joined this forum in Nov 2013 @Andre - i recall thinking to myself you were somewhat of a wizard with this weird looking vape device (Reo) that was so un-Twisp-like , lol.

And you were building coils, quoting things like IDs and gauges and using mandrels. I was like, what the heck is going on here!

Incidentally, @Andre , i recall you were a small ID person for quite a while. What ever made you switch to 2.5mm? Was it more about the wick or the power? Was there a major turning point?

Incidentally, @Andre , i recall you were a small ID person for quite a while. What ever made you switch to 2.5mm? Was it more about the wick or the power? Was there a major turning point?
No major turning point. Mostly starting to follow a good trend and the diameter of my ceramic wicks.

Just did my first build ever on a RTA (Ammit) ...0.48 Clapton, no dry hits or leaking... flavour is meh though :-D will play around with the wattage but more than likely it’s my build :notagain:

Last edited:
After getting that right you would have found anything afterwards very easy I imagine!!
Well not the fancy stuff, but a single wire coil does not require a degree in brain surgery.
The hard part is finding the right wire, right ga wire, right ID, right ohms, position of coil, amount of cotton.
And then you change your juice or tank or mod and have to start all over again.
But we do this because we enjoy it......or so I have been told.

536CFC6E-FCA8-4CC3-8B78-A3AA163C1C62.jpeg 032735F0-8D14-4E4F-AC7F-767EF4DC92FA.jpeg First time I’ve turned wire into a coil.... ended up with fused Clapton ni80 ... 3mm ID, 5 wraps and a very unexpected Ohm value :eek:

My first build wasn't really a build at all. I bought an Avo 24 as my first RTA and upgrade from the Melo 2 I got with my first mod. A bit intimidated at the thought of building, I bought a pack of Geekvape pre-made Claptons with it. So I had three tasks to complete:

1) Undo the post screws, insert the coil, tighten the post screws, clip the excess off the leads
2) Pulse and strum to ensure even glow
3) Wick it properly.

Well, I forgot number 2 so that wasn't a great start. Then after about ten minutes I got a "No atomiser" message on the mod and discovered I hadn't tightened the post screws enough so no contact was being made. So that was a fail too. The wicking was OK-ish but not stellar. I figured 0.5 out of 3 wasn't too shabby at all for a first attempt and decided immediately that coil-building was for me. And, to be fair, my scores haven't improved much since then. It's just that when you've been doing it for a while, you're not bothered much anymore and have got over the white-knuckle "OMG, am I going to blow my face off?" nervousness of the first time. So long as you can kap 'n skyf from it, it's all good.

Back