How long did it take you to find your flavour?

I have thought about doing this. Just knowing myself though, i will find a way to **** it up.
I am one of those that DIY did not work for, be sure you have the temperament and patience for it.
@Barak what area are you in and what type of juices appeal to you e.g tobacco, menthol tobacco, menthol fruit, fruit or dessert?

Personally I like desert type tobaccos and occasionally desert fruit mixes and menthol minty type juices.

Did you know there is a subforum here dedicated to diy juices where you will find methods, recipes and flavour reviews. Don't hold me to it but I will try and put together a concise diy kickstart guide for those that want to try diy but don't know where to start including what you need to start with the minimum items required to do it properly.
With your DIY experience would love to see such a guide. The more guides we get the better. I also need a clone recipe for Tarks Matador:).
Hi @Barak

Excellent question and I think it is a challenge for many if not all vapers, especially those starting out.

The juice hunt can be a long and tough process. I dont think it ever ends, because our curiousity often gets the better of us.

My journey started on Twisp. In a way the nice thing about Twisp is there were limited flavours. So I quickly discovered which ones i liked and which mixes worked for me. They were nice but I was looking for more.

About two months later I started with other gear and juices. I tried several juices from eCiggies and went through pretty much the whole Liqua range. Nothing excited me. Then I found Vapour Mountain. Went through most of their flavours in sample sizes and discovered one or two gems. Choc Mint is still a daily vape for me, 1 year later. I discovered adding a few drops of VM's coffee concentrate improves it for me. So id say I tried about 50 juices before finding VM Choc Mint.

I have sampled many of the international premium juices and have found several winners. My rule of thumb ratio of 1 in 10 is probably holding. I like WB Blackbird, a few of the HHV tobaccoes and the odd other juice here and there. I like to have 3 or 4 devices loaded at all times, each with a favourite flavour. Then i have one or two other devices for testing new flavours. I am quite fanatical about juices, and enjoy reviewing them, so i am probably not the normal type of vaper.

But I will offer you this advice in case it helps:
  • Try sample as many juices as possible. Try get sample sizes if possible so it doesnt break the bank. Meet up with your friends and try out their juices. Get involved in vape meets. You can try out many juices that way.
  • Make notes of the ones you like and the ones you dont like. This way you can start understanding what type of flavours work for you. For example, I dont like custards in my vape, so I stay away from juices mentioning custard in their description. This has saved me big time!
  • Juices can taste different in different devices and at different powers. Not 180 degrees different, but they can change quite a bit. They also taste better when steeped. (Left alone in a dark cupboard for a week or two)
  • I would say work through the locally manufactured ones mainly. They are cheaper and there are some superb juices here. Get the premium international ones as a treat and as budget permits.
  • Also, the problem with the international ones is they are sometimes discontinued. So no point really in trying out some on a clearance sale if you cant get them again. Rather go for the ones that will likely be stocked again.
All the best and let us know how it goes
Awesome post! Bookmarked for future reference.

I have always found it quite amazing that as smokers we generally always stuck to a single brand, my poison was Dunhill Menthol Fine Cut which I smoked for far too many years. Juice is a whole different ball game though. There is so much variety out there and I keep going back to the menthol/mint type flavours. Problem is that after a while of vaping the same juice I get vapors tongue and then have to switch it up for a few days... which of course ends up in me spending another small fortune on non mint/menthol flavours trying to find the one I actually enjoy! After about a year and a half of this madness, I have somewhat settled into a standard rotation of juices which has been working for me, when suddenly there's this sale on at Vapour Mountain and I buy some Tropical Ice for the first time and now I'm hooked - wish I had bought more because I don't think this bottle is going to see the end of the week and I have not even given it a chance to steep properly yet. Their choc mint is damn fine too by the way.
@Barak - prepare your SO for the expense AND ever growing collection of bottles, and most importantly of all - enjoy the flavour journey :)

this is likely the hardest part to satisfy. Taste varies from person to person. It took me a very long time to figure out what juices i like. or more accurately what flavour profile i like best. The problem you will find once you have found the flavour profile you like best is that even that will change over time. what you really enjoy now might change as your vaping continues. Ive found that with certain devices i prefer certain flavours and cant stand others.
its a trial and error thing and there is no way out of that.

when suddenly there's this sale on at Vapour Mountain and I buy some Tropical Ice for the first time and now I'm hooked - wish I had bought more because I don't think this bottle is going to see the end of the week and I have not even given it a chance to steep properly yet.

@KimH I can't believe you have only now tested Tropical Ice! :eek:

That could really be grounds for a large fine! :D
Judge.jpg

@Oupa you may need to send me a list of everyone that hasn't ordered Tropical Ice yet! :p

@KimH I can't believe you have only now tested Tropical Ice! :eek:

That could really be grounds for a large fine! :D
View attachment 25194

@Oupa you may need to send me a list of everyone that hasn't ordered Tropical Ice yet! :p

Uncle Rob, I promise to order some Tropical Ice within the next two months, just PLEASE keep that hammer, and your duckie, away from me :D

After twisping for more than a year and finding out what vaping is really about I got a flavour I love on the first try on proper equipment. Rocket Sheep Booster, would love to use it as an ADV but it would work out more expensive than stinkies.

Taking cost into account still working my way through cost effective liquids looking for an ADV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in my quest to try more juices i have acquired another machine. Picked up a 30w istick to go with my old one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429085502.175149.jpg

The next step is to get a sample box from skyblue (once they are in stock again) and then i want to buy a sub ohm tank to see what the juices are like on that. Probably should have bought some juice along with the new tank, but that will have to wait till next month :)

And what is currently in my rotation

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429085528.994096.jpg

I diy because I cannot invest the cash required into juice hunting.

I have vaped myself sick a few times. Sinusitis and a chest infection but this is due to unreasonable amounts of cloud chasing .

To that end though I find only 100% vg and some saline to cut it does me well.

After twisping for more than a year and finding out what vaping is really about I got a flavour I love on the first try on proper equipment. Rocket Sheep Booster, would love to use it as an ADV but it would work out more expensive than stinkies.

Taking cost into account still working my way through cost effective liquids looking for an ADV.

Just an idea for you if you like coffee vapes @moonunit
Try VapeKing's coffee (mild and milky) mixed with Vapour Mountain's Coffee (deep, dark and roasted)
You can mix the ratios to your taste. Lovely blend and one of my mom's all day vapes.
Also way more cost effective -

@Silver thanks for the info, actually been on the hunt for some decent coffee flavours. Will give it a go.

I actually found coffee to be the best replacement for stinkies.

@Silver thanks for the info, actually been on the hunt for some decent coffee flavours. Will give it a go.

I actually found coffee to be the best replacement for stinkies.

Yip - I agree - coffee is a great flavour profile. Not too many coffee juices readily available though.
Let us know how it goes

DIY works well for me too. Coming off Carwatch Camels (cheapies) to juice is a bit more difficult than from a branded cigarette, in terms of cost effectiveness. I will be posting some more diy re ipes in the diy section soon. Got a few winners so far, and a lot of horrid ones too, lol.

I found 2 juices today that i absolutely fell in love with. What surprised me is that it was flavours i never thought i would like. The 1st one was Anml Looper. Which tastes like froot loops. my god its good. and my new favourite is beard vape co #32. cinnamon funnel cake. drool. will be stocking up on that from now on.

Took me around 9-10 months :)

I'm still seeking

Sent from iPhone

I have found that One flavour so many times lol I can't even begin to count. I think this is a quest that will always be a question mark.
Also it's what adds that little extra drive to keep you vaping. It definitely nicely adds to the vaping experience

I've been doing this for a year or so now, and I've yet to find a 100% reliable go to all day vape. For a while it was Suicide Bunny, Madrina, but the last time I bought a bottle I realised I was going off it. Then there's Cuttwood Monster Melons which is still pretty damn good, but I can see that getting old too. My latest flavor of the week is Aisle7, Nora's Dream. The way I feel about this is that I could drink it, use it as a chip dip or even dab some on a wound to heal it. It's really that good for me (at the moment). But that will pass too and something else will come along.

All I've really learned so far is that as much as I want to enjoy a full on desert vape, I will never be able to, 'cos it just doesn't work for me. On the other hand, a fruity vape will almost always work for me to some degree.

I'm so envious of @Rob Fisher who has managed to latch on to a local, affordable juice that will seemingly never let him down. I think I'll quit vaping or die before I find something that I can do permanently from there on.

All that being said, good luck mate. I hope you find what you're looking for.

I was very lucky and as soon as I changed from my Twisp to a mPT2 and started looking for non-twisp juices I was lucky enough to find Menthol Ice from Vapour Mountain and boom! The rest is history!

I know my favourite flavour profiles, but always on the hunt for something better. Also I find joose thats out of my radar that I enjoy. Decent joose should be steeped a minimum of 3 months IMHO as this is where they begin to shine. I have recently vaped a 8 month and 10 month steeped and oh boy, they were not the same as when they were young :D

How long did it take you guys to find your flavour? Do you stick to one or do you mix it up every now and then?

My ADV (Menthol Ice, and its fruit modifiers) - i discovered around 2 months into my journey.
Guess I just got lucky like that...

My other "main inbetweener" is a DIY juice of my own creation - Strawberry Tart (see in DIY recipe forum section if interested).

So, I do mix it up with inbetweeners, but at LEAST 80%+ of my vape is a Menthol+Koolada or slight deviation thereof.

Back