How long did it take you to find your flavour?

Barak

It puts the lotion on the skin
LV

Awards
I like trying a whole bunch of liquids. But its not an inexpensive hobby to maintain.

How long did it take you guys to find your flavour? Do you stick to one or do you mix it up every now and then?

There are so many choices and so many flavours and trying them all is a double edged sword. If you dont like one, you waste a lot of money. But i also want to try them all. Conundrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoh! Difficult question to answer, mainly because its so subjective, everyone is different when it comes to taste.

Some find a single joose and sick to it, some have 5 jooses they cant live without.

Personally I like to mix it up here and there to avoid vapor fatigue, although I tend to grab my tobacco type joose more often, especially when enjoying a beer.

What is your flavor profile? ie tobacco/desert/mentol/fruity

And what joose have you tried so far?

Edit: By the way, totally off topic but you should look into getting a nice avatar, everyone loves a good avatar ;)

I was lucky enough to find Vapour Mountain Menthol Ice very early on in my journey... I have tried about a bazillion other juices since then but still vape VM Tropical Ice (Coconut derivative of Menthol Ice) 98% of the time...

But this is a difficult one because everyone has different taste buds and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another... you need to do the taste discovery thing yourself... once you find something you like then you can see who else likes the same juice and it's likely that you will find a juice buddy who can advise you.

A few weeks in and I'm still looking. I have a few favorites in rotation, but still not that ONE juice I can't be without. Finding one or two sustainable juices will help relieve the pressure and expenses of finding the perfect cape for you.

Yoh! Difficult question to answer, mainly because its so subjective, everyone is different when it comes to taste.

Some find a single joose and sick to it, some have 5 jooses they cant live without.

Personally I like to mix it up here and there to avoid vapor fatigue, although I tend to grab my tobacco type joose more often, especially when enjoying a beer.

What is your flavor profile? ie tobacco/desert/mentol/fruity

And what joose have you tried so far?

Edit: By the way, totally off topic but you should look into getting a nice avatar, everyone loves a good avatar ;)

Well started off at twisp and their juices and then I moved on. Next i tried was Vape Elixer awesomesauce, Pink spot, Plasma Juice and Stardust but I found i couldn't smoke them for too long. I liked the Rebel/Cherry flavour of twisp so I kept to that kind. But it got kind of boring, I then tried some Turks old gold for a ry4 type of flavour and I quite enjoyed that, even though it took me a while to get used to it. Then I tried some bound by the crown and fell in love. But its a bit expensive. At the moment I am trying Beard Vape co number 51 which is a Vanilla type of flavour. Very close to bound by the crown but not as complex.

I still try different DIY mixes, but my favorite is Vanilla Custard (my own version of the Grant's clone) and Coconut Menthol. I rarely buy juices now and DIY 99% of my juices :)

I still try different DIY mixes, but my favorite is Vanilla Custard (my own version of the Grant's clone) and Coconut Menthol. I rarely buy juices now and DIY 99% of my juices :)
I have thought about doing this. Just knowing myself though, i will find a way to **** it up.

I have thought about doing this. Just knowing myself though, i will find a way to **** it up.
Not difficult at all to achieve passable results if you do it in an organised fashion and record your attempts while sticking to small sample sizes e.g 5ml.

Else try more local juices in 10ml sizes to find something you like.

Not difficult at all to achieve passable results if you do it in an organised fashion and record your attempts while sticking to small sample sizes e.g 5ml.

Else try more local juices in 10ml sizes to find something you like.
Where is a good place to get diy supplies?

I most definintely cannot stick to even a handful of flavours.

I at least have narrowed down what I like in a juice, and I have say 7-10 juices that I would like to keep in a regular rotation.

I just find no matter how much I like a juice, I cannot vape it all day every day.

@Barak what area are you in and what type of juices appeal to you e.g tobacco, menthol tobacco, menthol fruit, fruit or dessert?

Personally I like desert type tobaccos and occasionally desert fruit mixes and menthol minty type juices.

Did you know there is a subforum here dedicated to diy juices where you will find methods, recipes and flavour reviews. Don't hold me to it but I will try and put together a concise diy kickstart guide for those that want to try diy but don't know where to start including what you need to start with the minimum items required to do it properly.

@Barak what area are you in and what type of juices appeal to you e.g tobacco, menthol tobacco, menthol fruit, fruit or dessert?

Personally I like desert type tobaccos and occasionally desert fruit mixes and menthol minty type juices.

Did you know there is a subforum here dedicated to diy juices where you will find methods, recipes and flavour reviews. Don't hold me to it but I will try and put together a concise diy kickstart guide for those that want to try diy but don't know where to start including what you need to start with the minimum items required to do it properly.
Im in Cape Town. I like desert type tobaccos and fruit tobaccos as well. Not a big fan of mint or menthol.

I will check out the sub forum. Only decided now that i want to try my hand at diy. It could be an interesting journey.

I like trying a whole bunch of liquids. But its not an inexpensive hobby to maintain.

How long did it take you guys to find your flavour? Do you stick to one or do you mix it up every now and then?

There are so many choices and so many flavours and trying them all is a double edged sword. If you dont like one, you waste a lot of money. But i also want to try them all. Conundrum

Hi @Barak

Excellent question and I think it is a challenge for many if not all vapers, especially those starting out.

The juice hunt can be a long and tough process. I dont think it ever ends, because our curiousity often gets the better of us.

My journey started on Twisp. In a way the nice thing about Twisp is there were limited flavours. So I quickly discovered which ones i liked and which mixes worked for me. They were nice but I was looking for more.

About two months later I started with other gear and juices. I tried several juices from eCiggies and went through pretty much the whole Liqua range. Nothing excited me. Then I found Vapour Mountain. Went through most of their flavours in sample sizes and discovered one or two gems. Choc Mint is still a daily vape for me, 1 year later. I discovered adding a few drops of VM's coffee concentrate improves it for me. So id say I tried about 50 juices before finding VM Choc Mint.

I have sampled many of the international premium juices and have found several winners. My rule of thumb ratio of 1 in 10 is probably holding. I like WB Blackbird, a few of the HHV tobaccoes and the odd other juice here and there. I like to have 3 or 4 devices loaded at all times, each with a favourite flavour. Then i have one or two other devices for testing new flavours. I am quite fanatical about juices, and enjoy reviewing them, so i am probably not the normal type of vaper.

But I will offer you this advice in case it helps:
  • Try sample as many juices as possible. Try get sample sizes if possible so it doesnt break the bank. Meet up with your friends and try out their juices. Get involved in vape meets. You can try out many juices that way.
  • Make notes of the ones you like and the ones you dont like. This way you can start understanding what type of flavours work for you. For example, I dont like custards in my vape, so I stay away from juices mentioning custard in their description. This has saved me big time!
  • Juices can taste different in different devices and at different powers. Not 180 degrees different, but they can change quite a bit. They also taste better when steeped. (Left alone in a dark cupboard for a week or two)
  • I would say work through the locally manufactured ones mainly. They are cheaper and there are some superb juices here. Get the premium international ones as a treat and as budget permits.
  • Also, the problem with the international ones is they are sometimes discontinued. So no point really in trying out some on a clearance sale if you cant get them again. Rather go for the ones that will likely be stocked again.

All the best and let us know how it goes

Hi @Barak

Excellent question and I think it is a challenge for many if not all vapers, especially those starting out.

The juice hunt can be a long and tough process. I dont think it ever ends, because our curiousity often gets the better of us.

My journey started on Twisp. In a way the nice thing about Twisp is there were limited flavours. So I quickly discovered which ones i liked and which mixes worked for me. They were nice but I was looking for more.

About two months later I started with other gear and juices. I tried several juices from eCiggies and went through pretty much the whole Liqua range. Nothing excited me. Then I found Vapour Mountain. Went through most of their flavours in sample sizes and discovered one or two gems. Choc Mint is still a daily vape for me, 1 year later. I discovered adding a few drops of VM's coffee concentrate improves it for me. So id say I tried about 50 juices before finding VM Choc Mint.

I have sampled many of the international premium juices and have found several winners. My rule of thumb ratio of 1 in 10 is probably holding. I like WB Blackbird, a few of the HHV tobaccoes and the odd other juice here and there. I like to have 3 or 4 devices loaded at all times, each with a favourite flavour. Then i have one or two other devices for testing new flavours. I am quite fanatical about juices, and enjoy reviewing them, so i am probably not the normal type of vaper.

But I will offer you this advice in case it helps:
  • Try sample as many juices as possible. Try get sample sizes if possible so it doesnt break the bank. Meet up with your friends and try out their juices. Get involved in vape meets. You can try out many juices that way.
  • Make notes of the ones you like and the ones you dont like. This way you can start understanding what type of flavours work for you. For example, I dont like custards in my vape, so I stay away from juices mentioning custard in their description. This has saved me big time!
  • Juices can taste different in different devices and at different powers. Not 180 degrees different, but they can change quite a bit. They also taste better when steeped. (Left alone in a dark cupboard for a week or two)
  • I would say work through the locally manufactured ones mainly. They are cheaper and there are some superb juices here. Get the premium international ones as a treat and as budget permits.
  • Also, the problem with the international ones is they are sometimes discontinued. So no point really in trying out some on a clearance sale if you cant get them again. Rather go for the ones that will likely be stocked again.

All the best and let us know how it goes
Thanks for the great post @Silver.

I think having only one device is very problematic for juice adventures. Should probably look into a new tank or 2.

I am trying to work my way through the local juices, but sometimes i get overwhelmed for choice and then i just give up and default back to what i know.

Keen to read up today on some diy stuff to see what that is all about and the processes involved.

After over a year of vaping and trying well over 200 different juices, I'm yet to find an ADV.
There have been a few juices that have wow'd me and I still vape them every few weeks.
My problem is I get bored of a flavour after a while, I even get bored of a type of flavour (fruits, tobaccos, desserts, etc) and end up switching juice types every few months.

Imported juices are not cheap so try and sample before you buy.

Next i tried was Vape Elixer awesomesauce, Pink spot, Plasma Juice and Stardust but I found i couldn't smoke them for too long.

@Barak - it's vape, not smoke.

I have 2 specific jooses I found early on. Was also lucky to discover early that I prefer sour as well as dessert type jooses, don't like tobacco type jooses and that menthol jooses are hit and miss. That being said, I usually try to test at least 2 new jooses a month that normally I would not have given a second look.

While the taste journey is a bit of an expensive one, it is also a lot of fun. The jooses that does not cut it for me usually goes to my boet. He gives it a try and if he likes it, he keeps it. If he does not, he passes it on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge while getting lost in Vaping Nirvana. Life is good.

@Barak, others have already mentioned that flavours are a very personal thing. What appeals to me may not do the same for the next guy. And what I like today may not be the case next week, or even in a couple of hours.

A few months back, I went through a few days where I couldn't stand any single flavour I had in stock. Everything just became way to sweet for my senses. And in desperation I decided to try mixing up some unflavoured base VG.

This turned out to be a revelation for me, because I now often have unflavoured juice in one of my devices. I can't explain the flavour, because it's one of the things I have no talent for. But it works for me. I now dilute everything with VG to subdue the flavours which I find very overpowering otherwise.

I guess I would liken unflavoured to the taste of Coke, in a sea of flavoured softdrinks. It's been the one soda drink that I still enjoy after a lifetime of flavoured soft drinks.

My ADV is Nicoticket H1N1 90 percent of the tome and Five Pawns Gambit 10 percent of the time. Right now I don't need or want anything else.

No need for that... @Derick (from SkyBlue) already did this a while back - it's what helped me get started. You can find the DIY starter thread here :D

Sho , ja what a loaded question so much to consider , international juices are expensive yes so reserve those for special occasions or nights out. Started with tobacco juice but quickly moved over to the desert juices with Melinda's Vanilla Custard my favourite to date (my ADV :) ) , Ambrosia I can also see becoming an ADV (still 2 weeks to steep argh!) but tannie @Melinda said no less than six weeks , en as die tannie praat dan luister ek :p

Best is try some sample boxes , I think Skyblue sells them , also Nic level plays a role with flavour and your PG/VG mix , I tend to lean towards higher % VG mix as it smoothes the vape out for me and not such a harsh TH ... ok my 2 cents worth ...

Pity you are in Cpt , have some tobacco 12mg juices I might want to part with ;) (shameless ad)

1½ years and I'm still searching. :rofl:
As soon as I get that special something, my palette changes and I find something else.
For me it's awesome!

Back