Internal diameter and flavour

Faiyaz Cheulkar

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
Does the internal diameter of the coil affect the flavour ?
I know smaller diameter means more heat that can affect the flavour but bigger diameter means more cotton and that means more juice but sometimes that means more spit back because the juice in the wick may not heat evenly.
Most of the time I stick to 3mm internal diameter because that's what has worked for me but does the change in diameter really impact the quality of vape ??

Interesting would also like to know. I used to use 3mm exclusively and really liked it the flavour was great. Moved to 2.5mm and found my sweet spot for the atrocities I build. Basically the benefit I get from the smaller id is a quicker rampup. I need less wire to get a decent coil. This helps alot when you only have five or six cm of what you tried to build come out successfully. I thought the wicking would suck less cotton so less juice so quicker dryhits and more dripping but it seems I was mistaken the wicking is great and I dripp the same amount as on the 3mm. I also thought that I wouldn't be able to push the watts because of the more heat less juice thing but it doesn't seem to effect it that much currently vaping at 55 Watts and cotton is holding up great also pushed to 120 today just for laughs. No dry hit and could get 3 or 4 drags before I had to drip again. I don't really notice a difference in spitback for me it feels that spitback comes from the tipe of build some spit more than others and also the watage some coils needs a bit more to stop the spitback others a bit less (coils with gaps in the outer wrap I find to spit a bit more until you find a sweet spot). The flavour feels more dense and the same with the vapour. 2mm coils for me had all the negative effects I had to drip more frequently got dry hits on higher watts and it just sucked but they had a benefit they ramp up extremely quickly and for higher ohm builds on mechanicals this works wonders. Flavour was also good not a improvement over the 2.5 but acceptable. I would say test everything till you find the best vape out there. On a side not 4mm and above the flavour was muted for me and the wicking was slow also got more dry hits those where the tails are wet but the centre is dry but I have a feeling that my wicking method just sucked when I tested those ids.

Does the internal diameter of the coil affect the flavour ?
I know smaller diameter means more heat that can affect the flavour but bigger diameter means more cotton and that means more juice but sometimes that means more spit back because the juice in the wick may not heat evenly.
Most of the time I stick to 3mm internal diameter because that's what has worked for me but does the change in diameter really impact the quality of vape ??

@Faiyaz Cheulkar - this is a GREAT question
Thanks for starting this thread

I think the answer is a lot more complicated than one may think. I don't know the answer myself but can contribute some of my views and experiences.

I think the smaller ID coils do get hotter but as you say they carry less juice than the bigger ID - so it depends on the wire and the power. So flavour aside, it also probably has to do with the type of vape you are aiming for. And then the device also plays a role.

For my htobaccoes on my Reo/RM2 - its a small BF dripper. I use 29ga Kanthal paracoil 1.6mm ID - 5 double wraps. So 10 wraps in total. I like the instant ramp on the thinner wire - and since Im at about 0.5 ohms, the power is not too intense (and its MTL) so I get at least 3/4 decent puffs before needing to resquonk. The small ID with the thin wire gives me a crisper vape which I enjoy. If I use thicker wire and/or a larger ID (I have tried a few variants), the vape gets less "crispy" and more "boomy". Perhaps a bit wetter too. It's taken me ages to find the right setup for me on my RM2 for tobaccoes. But that's just for that setup.

Other setups have different IDs. I find on the RTA's with fruity menthol vapes - I like 2mm to 2.5mm ID. Not sure why that works best - presumably also because I am at lower power (15-20W) and my drags don't vaporise as much juice so the smaller ID and less cotton works. I don't get dry hits so it obviously is working well. But again, when I go with bigger IDs like 3mm or 3.5mm I get a slightly less crispy vape and I prefer a crisp vape.

On the other hand - on my Petri dripper I am using an exotic alien coil with a larger ID - I think it is 3.5mm - I like this setup for the dessert type juices (eg am vaping Majestic Creme) in it now. And it works nicely - thicker and denser, wetter - more "boomy" - less crisp. It's a dual coil. About 0.3 ohms if I recall correctly. At about 55 Watts. I don't mind the longer ramp up time because my dripping is more on occasion and more of a "treat" than an all day vape.

Bottom line - I think in general if you using thinner wire and less power you should use a smaller ID. As the wire gets fatter and you want more power (more vapour as well) then you need to increase the ID.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Back