Intro to Vaping + The Subox Mini

After some internal deliberation I have added a section on battery safety to the original post (at the very bottom of it). For those who have already read it, please take the time to go read that - this is very important to know about, even if you don't fully understand the technical aspects.

Vape safely :D
A great addition, and done very well. Thanks.

Was very, very helpful for me as well. I have read so many write ups on battery safety and this explanation sums it up 100% in and in a short few words...

A breakthrough
HRH has been vaping on an iStick 20W with mAN (Mini Aspire Nautilus) since beginning of November 2014 (a long time in vaping terms). And enjoying it, loving the size and the convenience. Always on the lowest possible power setting and only one juice (VM Berry Blaze at 9 mg). Coil units last about a week, and not inexpensive. She has never shown any interest in any of the other mods or tanks, to the contrary - iStick 50W too big, RTAs horrible, eGrip too heavy, etcetera. Gave me strict instructions to never ever again buy her other vaping gear!

I loved the form and functionality of the Subox Mini on first sight. With @free3dom's great write up above, I thought this might work for HRH. So when she mentioned a bigger juice capacity might be nice from time to time, I jumped and suggested we get her a Subox Mini. In a passing moment of weakness she agreed.

Received from Skyblue yesterday morning. Washed the atomizer, inserted the 1.5 ohm coil unit and filled with Berry Blaze. Set to the smallest air flow. Inserted an Efest 3100 mAh (with the red sticker strip). Took a few toots. Presented to HRH. "No, I told you I do not want other devices!". "But, you agreed - for more juice capacity?". "Oh, ok, let's try it.".

Drip tip far too big a bore, replaced with her own little black one used on the mAN. Much better. Played with the air flow settings. Settled on the biggest airflow (I was flabbergasted). Tuned the power - settled on 10W. Quickly got used to the bigger tank and the somewhat heavier gear. She is impressed that the battery can just be swapped out if needed. Appreciates the bigger vapour volume. She would love a silicone sleeve for it.

HRH has been using the Subox Mini since. And loving it. The world is at peace!

Next step: Slip the RBA base in there.

Confirmation: From a little bit of practical experience now, I can confirm what @free3dom has asserted in starting this thread. This is a really solid mod, perfect for beginners and more experienced vapers alike - can grow with you. Flavour is much better than from the first iteration of this atomizer (which I hated) and comparable to the flavour from the mAN.

Last edited:
A breakthrough
HRH has been vaping on an iStick 20W with mAN since beginning of November 2014 (a long time in vaping terms). And enjoying it, loving the size and the convenience. Always on the lowest possible power setting and only one juice (VM Berry Blaze at 9 mg). Coil units last about a week, and not inexpensive. She has never shown any interest in any of the other mods or tanks, to the contrary - iStick 50W too big, RTAs horrible, eGrip too heavy, etcetera. Gave me strict instructions to never ever again buy her other vaping gear!

I loved the form and functionality of the Subox Mini on first sight. With @free3dom's great write up above, I thought this might work for HRH. So when she mentioned a bigger juice capacity might be nice from time to time, I jumped and suggested we get her a Subox Mini. In a passing moment of weakness she agreed.

Received from Skyblue yesterday morning. Washed the atomizer, inserted the 1.5 ohm coil unit and filled with Berry Blaze. Set to the smallest air flow. Inserted an Efest 3100 mAh (with the red sticker strip). Took a few toots. Presented to HRH. "No, I told you I do not want other devices!". "But, you agreed - for more juice capacity?". "Oh, ok, let's try it.".

Drip tip far too big a bore, replaced with her own little black one used on the mAN. Much better. Played with the air flow settings. Settled on the biggest airflow (I was flabbergasted). Tuned the power - settled on 10W. Quickly got used to the bigger tank and the somewhat heavier gear. She is impressed that the battery can just be swapped out if needed. Appreciates the bigger vapour volume. She would love a silicone sleeve for it.

Confirmation: From a little bit of practical experience now, I can confirm what @free3dom has asserted in starting this thread. This is a really solid mod, perfect for beginners and more experienced vapers alike - can grow with you. Flavour is much better than from the first iteration of this atomizer (which I hated) and comparable to the flavour from the mAN.

Marvellous @Andre!

That speaks volumes for this setup

Loved the chirps "in a moment of weakness" and "next step: slip in the rba base" - lol

After some internal deliberation I have added a section on battery safety to the original post (at the very bottom of it). For those who have already read it, please take the time to go read that - this is very important to know about, even if you don't fully understand the technical aspects.

Vape safely :D

Great addition on battery safety @free3dom
I can re-iterate @free3dom 's recommendation that people should go re-read that piece if they havent done so already

A breakthrough
HRH has been vaping on an iStick 20W with mAN (Mini Aspire Nautilus) since beginning of November 2014 (a long time in vaping terms). And enjoying it, loving the size and the convenience. Always on the lowest possible power setting and only one juice (VM Berry Blaze at 9 mg). Coil units last about a week, and not inexpensive. She has never shown any interest in any of the other mods or tanks, to the contrary - iStick 50W too big, RTAs horrible, eGrip too heavy, etcetera. Gave me strict instructions to never ever again buy her other vaping gear!

That is fantastic news, so happy to hear it :clap:

Very interesting to hear she preferred the larger airflow. But that's one of the main benefits of this device - something for everyone (and adjustable on a whim) ;)

I'd love to hear how operation "RBA Slip" turns out :D

A breakthrough

OK then it's official! This is our recommended starter kit from this day forward! :rock::rock:

PS I swore I wouldn't buy another mod and tank but my Subox arrives today! ;-)

OK then it's official! This is our recommended starter kit from this day forward! :rock::rock:

PS I swore I wouldn't buy another mod and tank but my Subox arrives today! ;-)
'

I am starting to realise that saying I will never by another mod or tank again is like Making a New Years resolution in the moment or the day after the companies Christmas Party that had an open bar.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Enjoy the new toy Sir! :rock:

Inserted an Efest 3100 mAh (with the red sticker strip).​

Eish meneer, you using the battery pictured below?. Not rated near actual 20 amps, and that mod specifically states you need to use 20 amp batteries.
efest.jpg

Eish meneer, you using the battery pictured below?. Not rated near actual 20 amps, and that mod specifically states you need to use 20 amp batteries.
View attachment 30045
Lol, @ET, those batts are rated (continuous discharge) at around 10A. On the 1.5 ohm coil at 10W they are as safe as houses - pulling less than 3A. They are probably just protecting themselves in the manual.

Lol, @ET, those batts are rated (continuous discharge) at around 10A. On the 1.5 ohm coil at 10W they are as safe as houses - pulling less than 3A. They are probably just protecting themselves in the manual.

Absolutely, I've used that exact same one on mine for more than a day (while using the 1.5 Ohm coil)...went through about 1.5 tanks and it was perfect - nice long battery life too :)

I think that the 20A rating is to cover the full range of what the device can do (0.3 Ohm @ 50W = 12.9A) - so they aimed high, which is good.

When using the 1.5 Ohm coil (even at 50W) it will only draw 8.6A :D

As long as the person using it knows what they are doing (as @Andre obviously is) then these are perfect for getting nice extended battery life ;)

Absolutely, I've used that exact same one on mine for more than a day (while using the 1.5 Ohm coil)...went through about 1.5 tanks and it was perfect - nice long battery life too :)

I think that the 20A rating is to cover the full range of what the device can do (0.3 Ohm @ 50W = 12.9A) - so they aimed high, which is good.

When using the 1.5 Ohm coil (even at 50W) it will only draw 8.6A :D

As long as the person using it knows what they are doing (as @Andre obviously is) then these are perfect for getting nice extended battery life ;)

Ok cool was just worried there for a second

Hi there , not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I found an issue with the Subox

My Volts does not change on the Kangertech Subox , it stays the same on 0.0V no matter what i do , please advise if this is normal

this is from day 1 i got the subox and its now 2 weeks still the same, using 0.5 ohm coil and 6mg liquids
Also i notice every time i fire ( the past week only ) i hear a small buzzing sound coming out . It is an electrical buzz, nothing to do with the atomizer.
upload_2015-7-23_9-22-55.png

Hi there , not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I found an issue with the Subox

My Volts does not change on the Kangertech Subox , it stays the same on 0.0V no matter what i do , please advise if this is normal

this is from day 1 i got the subox and its now 2 weeks still the same, using 0.5 ohm coil and 6mg liquids
Also i notice every time i fire ( the past week only ) i hear a small buzzing sound coming out . It is an electrical buzz, nothing to do with the atomizer.
View attachment 31931

Your subox is faulty. This is not normal. Return it for a refund/replacement.

@Mo Khan that thing is definitely faulty.

This is my first time using a mod. Still getting to understand battery types and safety. What I would like to know is when is it safe to charge the battery? or rather how would I go about charging it? Can I just charge as I feel or wait for a complete discharge?

@Mo Khan that thing is definitely faulty.

This is my first time using a mod. Still getting to understand battery types and safety. What I would like to know is when is it safe to charge the battery? or rather how would I go about charging it? Can I just charge as I feel or wait for a complete discharge?
You can charge it on board or take it out and charge it in a separate charger. You can charge as you feel - no need for the battery to be completely discharged at all.

Thanks. I actually found a battery yesterday. But the name is UltraFite. Looks a bit dodgy. My cousin sells them in his store. Uses them for the torches he sells for hunting. Accoriding to one customer that was there he swears that they are safe. I decided not to take a chance. Even though R20 was a super bargain, I will wait for my sony to arrive today. Lucky a buddy lent me his spare for the night.

View attachment 31931
@Mo Khan press the fire button and then see if the volts display.

My understanding is that the volts are calculated once you power up the atty.

Mine also shows 0.0V but changes while im vaping, once the fire button is released the volts go back to 0.0

Thanks. I actually found a battery yesterday. But the name is UltraFite. Looks a bit dodgy. My cousin sells them in his store. Uses them for the torches he sells for hunting. Accoriding to one customer that was there he swears that they are safe. I decided not to take a chance. Even though R20 was a super bargain, I will wait for my sony to arrive today. Lucky a buddy lent me his spare for the night.

Here in SA only buy two types of batteries mate. Efest 2800mAh and Samsung 2500mAh (smurfs)
Forget the other batteries. Either too weak or dangerous.
Stick with the ones that are proven as mentioned above.

@Mo Khan press the fire button and then see if the volts display.

My understanding is that the volts are calculated once you power up the atty.

Mine also shows 0.0V but changes while im vaping, once the fire button is released the volts go back to 0.0

But his is making a buzzing sound according to him. It's not supposed to do that am I correct?

But his is making a buzzing sound according to him. It's not supposed to do that am I correct?
You are indeed correct.

It is not supposed to buzz at all

Back