Is rewicking a PITA for you

Stranger

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
I personally find it quite cathartic, or it may be that I am unable to concentrate on more than one task at a time and need all my focus on the rewicking. I know a lot of guys that rebuild and rewick a whole lot of stuff at one time as shown by the many pitstop threads. I rarely have more than two RTA's and an RDA on the go at any one time , so wicking for me takes a few minutes, especially if you know exactly how to do it for that particular tank/rda.
It also seems that I experiment with coil building far less than I used to and will rebuild a coil exactly (as I can) to replace the one I am chucking out. The Intake singles and Dvarw clones get exactly the same each time and the reliability of the vape is very consistent. I am not saying that I have reached the Holy grail but am more than content with what I produce.

Over the last couple of years I have tried pods and mesh and whilst finding nothing wrong with them always swing back to a good old rebuild-able with wire and cotton. So far this has not worn me down and in fact I find it enjoyable enough as to take my time and do the best job I can.

How about you ?

Last edited:
Rewicking is my game! I love having a ready Dvarw Army standing by for juice! I have tested a bazillion RTA's, and despite a lot of them doing pretty well on the flavour front, none of them match the perfection I have found with the Original Dvarw DL. 6ml of juice, easy rewick, perfect airflow and excellent flavour with Red Pill. No Pod or sub ohm tank comes close!

I have reached the Holy Grail but still, I keep hoping I will find something that beats the Dvarw.
PitStop 220116 03.jpg

I have a big number of tanks and I like to rotate them. So I too, have to service a certain number at once and do find pleasure in that (long) session.
All it takes is a fresh setup, a cup of coffee and an astronomy/wild life documentary for the background noise. And like you @Stranger I only enjoy the old fashion wire/cotton builds.

not really at all for me. I have whittled down to one setup that I use, a gen with an eclipse rta. takes about 2 mins to rewick everyday!

I love a good pitstop!! Especially on those nights that my friend, insomnia, comes and visits. Makes for a good conversation with him while he keeps me awake and I clean and wick and replace in an extended session that mirrors the work of a heart surgeon.

Most of my tanks have been extensively used and I can replace coils and wick it with (almost) my eyes closed. But I prefer to take my time with each of them to not have to drop it in the pitstop bucket within a day.

With the Mrs' SMRT coils its another matter. Them I set up and wick (and sometimes time myself) as quick as I can, and feel like a coil factory when I am done with all of them.

Although I still use the occasional stock coil, I shall never use them exclusively again.

not really at all for me. I have whittled down to one setup that I use, a gen with an eclipse rta. takes about 2 mins to rewick everyday!
Say Whaaaat ...... everyday. I was just 15 days in da bush, a lot of that time just sitting driving around vaping. Although I took a couple of set ups with, I used just one Jelly box and one Intake single coil, the whole time. I rewicked before I left, rewicked once in da bush and not again until I got home. Honestly I put it down to the two wire types I build with. The Coil master comp wire and the Cotton bacon comp wire. They stay clean for a long time and are easy to clean when it is time .. 6-7 days.

Every day ..... WOW

Pita? ... naah ... Addictions are supported by rituals, so moving from cigarettes to vaping required some new rituals to support the alternate nicotine delivery mechanism, and wicking, winding coils, tweaking and tinkering made the transition so much easier ... to the extent that I still rewick at least one atty daily, replace coils every 3 or 4 days, and undergo major? pit stops / deep cleaning weekly ... I find all of it rather therapeutic on a level :--)

Say Whaaaat ...... everyday. I was just 15 days in da bush, a lot of that time just sitting driving around vaping. Although I took a couple of set ups with, I used just one Jelly box and one Intake single coil, the whole time. I rewicked before I left, rewicked once in da bush and not again until I got home. Honestly I put it down to the two wire types I build with. The Coil master comp wire and the Cotton bacon comp wire. They stay clean for a long time and are easy to clean when it is time .. 6-7 days.

Every day ..... WOW
I find these snazzy aliens etc funk up much faster than good ol plain wire and I’ve turned into something of a snob and have gotten so used to fresh cotton that 2 day old cotton I can taste the difference.

I normally have three Zeus X twin coils in rotation. All with the same juice. (Tride having different juices but kept topping up the tanks with the wrong juice.) I use the same spec Geekvape wire as the original coils were made from. I go ten or more days before rewicking. Coils last ages. I definitely don't consider myself a flavour chaser. I find one tanks flavor drops of quicker often probably just because I have picked that device up more often. Once the flavour drops of on the other two I rewick them all together. I charge in the device.
Takes about an hour and is much less PT than say for example smoking a pipe was. I am on pension so an hour every now and again isn't a train smash and I can do it any time of the day.
I used to buy my smokes once a month so popping into the local cafe for a pack of smokes wasn't a thing for me but for those that used to buy smokes daily, the time to stop at the cafe and by smokes probably adds up to more than hour in ten days.
I do have two Innokin Ayres2 tanks and they are high maintenance and I don't really enjoy them and MTL.
Just my take on rewicking.

Every day ..... WOW
Rebuilt with some good ol 22g kanthal. Let’s see if I can rewick less often!!

B6C2A619-C4A6-4FF7-88C3-0EB28E6AC8DB.jpeg

Good points @Stranger

I also used to love tinkering with new builds (coils) and even experimenting with wicks
but nowadays I know my setups and largely vape the same juices in them. Works for me

i will admit though I do get a bit tired of the rewicking sometimes
I can do it quite quickly but still, I wish it could automatically rewick itself to my liking

I’ve tried several commercial coils as well but prefer my rebuildables.

what I do though is dilute most of my juices with PG/VG/Nic/menthol so the flavour is not as intense
the byproduct is less wicking frequency. I can go about 30-60ml easy on a wick
was definitely more frequent since I started diluting my juices

I find these snazzy aliens etc funk up much faster than good ol plain wire and I’ve turned into something of a snob and have gotten so used to fresh cotton that 2 day old cotton I can taste the difference.
Same here, I tried a couple of local UK fused claptons and none of them were what I was after. They gunk up so fast (every 3 days), and I decided there and then to go back to the MTL coils I was using for my Gear RTA. The reel got delivered today and I decided then to do a dual coil setup in my Dead Rabbit V2 RTA - I got way much more flavour, no more throat burn from the juices that were unvapable. It's amazing how much of a difference - also using Cotton Bacon and Cotton Bacon Prime, those two are the amazing wicking cotton, I'll never switch to any other brand ever.

Rebuilt with some good ol 22g kanthal. Let’s see if I can rewick less often!!

View attachment 268640
Slip a Stanley blade between those wraps, and open it up into a spaced coil, so that the flavour yumminess then gets to escape into your vape .... also, that your coil will then run to the end of those last two sideflow air holes, (which are diluting your vape status quo) ... and finally ... raise that coil a smidgen, so that it gets in the way of the top row of airflow holes, and then revert with the differences ;)

Slip a Stanley blade between those wraps, and open it up into a spaced coil, so that the flavour yumminess then gets to escape into your vape .... also, that your coil will then run to the end of those last two sideflow air holes, (which are diluting your vape status quo) ... and finally ... raise that coil a smidgen, so that it gets in the way of the top row of airflow holes, and then revert with the differences ;)
When I find the will to move in this disgusting Kzn heat I will do as instructed boss!

I did actually replace it with the alien I took out the same night. That I spaced which made a huge difference.

I need to get some 22g ni80. This kanthal 22g gets HOT!

And search for some new grubs screws cause these ones are kak and are stripped a bit so installing coils really is a PITA!

I did actually replace it with the alien I took out the same night. That I spaced which made a huge difference.

And search for some new grubs screws cause these ones are kak and are stripped a bit so installing coils really is a PITA!

Will bring my stash of grubs when we meet again, might have something to tickle your fancy

Ditto on the above. I was using the Cotton bacon comp wire (still am) and the DBM introduced me to the Coil Master comp wire. I find the Coil master to work really well in the 22 AWG guise and the Cotton bacon one better in 24 and 26.

In my arsenal of wire I have a wide selection of Clapton, fused clapton, SS, Ni80 and have on many occasion made my own twisted wire. From an ease of longevity and rewicking, the plain wire beats them all. Kanthal I also find gets hot really easy and in dual coil RDA's can really mess up the heat.

Please let me know where you find the grub screws. I also need some for a Serpent Mini 22

Back