#ITSOKAYTOTALK - Mental Illness

brotiform

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
a69257e53e5463658444d49e388bb44a.jpg

I hear you brother. I have had my own battles with depression, and have always found that the best solution is to make sure those around you not what's going on.

And on a related note...

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/why-a-semicolon-tattoo-is-the-most-beautiful-tattoo/

Great link thank you , really like the opening statement :

" A semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence but chose not to
The author is you and the sentence is your life"

" A semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence but chose not to
Been meaning to get one for a while now, but then I found vaping which put an end to any potential tattoo budget ;)

I have so much to talk about my long time battle with depression but I am quite private and struggle to express myself at the best of times, so I'll keep this short and sweet...

C0D07F46-8B13-44EC-BFCF-A6E79BCA1557.png

Whats with the triple 6 handsigns?
The Illuminati have been using them in the entertainment industry big time.
Taken from http://illuminatiwatcher.com/decoding-illuminati-symbolism-the-all-seeing-eye/

I am tempted to dislike your post but I see you're well established here. The hand signal is for OK , it has nothing to do with Hollywood or Illuminati and I find your post insensitive and ignorant.

There is an awful stigma associated with mental illness , and it takes a lot of courage for people to open up about it , even more so when mockery is made at the topic.

/rant

I am tempted to dislike your post but I see you're well established here. The hand signal is for OK , it has nothing to do with Hollywood or Illuminati and I find your post insensitive and ignorant.

There is an awful stigma associated with mental illness , and it takes a lot of courage for people to open up about it , even more so when mockery is made at the topic.

/rant
Im neither mocking nor making light of anyones state of mental health, dont mistake my clowning around in other threads as shallow inability or lack of empathy.

I hear you.
Im saying that sign is more than just an "Ok", as evidenced by its appearance in the last 50yrs in mainstream media.
When did the good old "thumbs up" get replaced as a universal sign for "good" ?

@blujeenz Perhaps , but the way the hand signal is being used in your mainstream images , is a completely different context to the way it has been used in our instance.

@blujeenz Perhaps , but the way the hand signal is being used in your mainstream images , is a completely different context to the way it has been used in our instance.
I looked at the link in your original post, yes the context is different and hopefully its intent wont be misconstrued.
Call me superstitious, but its not a hand sign I will ever use, intent is a fickle mistress and usually lost without a direct human-human interaction... as opposed to our present human-internet-human current trend.

The thumbs up in sign language, means "I'm ready"
Largely made popular by American aircraft carrier launch crew to the pilots to signal they're ready to go.

Most likely originally derived from ancient Romans during gladiator battles, ie thumbs down was death and up was life.

However, since youth, if asked how you are, a thumbs up indicated good and not ready.
I also hear an indigenous phrase "shup-shup" with the thumbs up to indicate good.
Perhaps its different depending on geographical location, but these are my perceptions in Cape Town.

I know I am not a guy but....

aa5c111e2655f9e9258e6fde16ffb8c8.jpg

I had this done last year after I "recovered" from a mental breakdown after years of depression, chronic pain and a failed attempt to take my own life.

This is the first time I have mentioned the attempt other than to my parents and Drs so this is quite a big step for me to admit it and on a public forum for that matter.

I still suffer from major depression and it is a big struggle every day and no one will ever understand what we go though and how tough it is just to get up every morning and having chronic pain with it is like living in hell.

The reason why people don't talk about it is because the world see people with a mental illness as crazy, weak, worthless and the list is endless. Don't even get me started on what they think about people who commit or try to commit suicide.
Yes we have tried to hold on or be strong!
Yes we do think about the people we leave behind and that sucks (don't know how else to say it)
No we are not weak or selfish!
No one will ever understand what we are going through or feeling so stop judging!

And most of the time the people with the worst depression are the ones who seem to be the happiest... just look at Robin Williams
4855ef6f79cfcf269cb30755290c4da0.jpg

The people that know me will tell you I am always happy and smiling but that is the mask we have to put up every day.

Back to my tattoo i had the 3 dots added, for me it means there is more to come.

;...

@Neuk and @brotiform BIG hug!!!

I had this done last year after I "recovered" from a mental breakdown after years of depression, chronic pain and a failed attempt to take my own life.

This is the first time I have mentioned the attempt other than to my parents and Drs so this is quite a big step for me to admit it and on a public forum for that matter.

I still suffer from major depression and it is a big struggle every day and no one will ever understand what we go though and how tough it is just to get up every morning and having chronic pain with it is like living in hell.

The reason why people don't talk about it is because the world see people with a mental illness as crazy, weak, worthless and the list is endless. Don't even get me started on what they think about people who commit or try to commit suicide.
Yes we do think about the people we leave behind and that sucks (don't know how else to say it)
No one will ever understand what we are going through or feeling so stop judging!

And most of the time the people with the worst depression are the ones who seem to be the happiest... just look at Robin Williams

The people that know me will tell you I am always happy and smiling but that is the mask we have to put up every day.

Back to my tattoo i had the 3 dots added, for me it means there is more to come.

;...

Awesome and courageous post @wiesbang. You have broken the ice. Do not stop talking. We are all prepared to listen, really listen.

This thread brought a little tear to my eye. Lost my old man a couple of months ago to bi-polar depression. He had a failed attempt late last year and made good progress, but lost his hand in the process. Unfortunately he lost the battle and took his own life eventually. Mental illness is a serious and deadly disease. We felt so powerless, we tried everything to help him.

I'm really grateful to be in good mental health, although not always physical health and have no idea how it must feel when the black dog visits. You guys and girls are in my thoughts, I saw what it can do to a person. Hang in there and keep fighting, you will reach the light again. No matter how worthless you feel, there will be someone out there to who you mean the world. Help them to help you.

Maybe someday I'll share my story, but big ups to those that have. It's not easy to talk about these things to strangers, and even more difficult with loved ones and friends. I'll leave off with a quote from Albert Einstein, 'it is sad to be known so universally, and yet be so lonely'.

;...

I am not quite sure where to start other than to say thank you for sharing your story @wiesbang. I am working towards sharing my story one day in a more public fashion , so I take my hat off to you and others like you.

@brotiform @Neuk I hardly ever go into the "off topic" tab and I'm glad I did today! Really enjoyed the article!

It is a pleasure, I am glad that others could take something from it. If anyone is looking for a great story and subsequent cause, get hold of a book called, If You Feel Too Much: Thoughts on Things Found and Lost and Hoped For by Jamie Toworski

Amazon product ASIN 0399176497
And head over to his organisation, To Write Love On Her Arms

https://twloha.com/

This thread brought a little tear to my eye. Lost my old man a couple of months ago to bi-polar depression. He had a failed attempt late last year and made good progress, but lost his hand in the process. Unfortunately he lost the battle and took his own life eventually. Mental illness is a serious and deadly disease. We felt so powerless, we tried everything to help him.

I'm really grateful to be in good mental health, although not always physical health and have no idea how it must feel when the black dog visits. You guys and girls are in my thoughts, I saw what it can do to a person. Hang in there and keep fighting, you will reach the light again. No matter how worthless you feel, there will be someone out there to who you mean the world. Help them to help you.

Thanks for sharing @Effjh.

Back