Just starting out on Mech Mods. Safety tips.

Yes but the current will be limited by the circuit that's doubling the voltage.

So a regulated single battery mod should NEVER be able to output more watts than an unregulated single battery mod.
Which again leads to :
Either higher volts and lower current draw(or a higher resistance) for regulated. Faster heating.
vs
Higher current draw(lower resistance) and normal voltage for unregulated. higher temp.

So why do they?
You have overlooked PWM in your paper chase, thats probably where the golden egg is hiding.

as far as i understand from here:
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-why-to-of-pwm-box-mods.158182/

A nice summing up: "PWM works by repeatedly turning power off & on at the desired rate so that the average power can be a specific % of the available power." - taken from above link.

Notice it can't exceed the available power , can only be a % of it.

PWM is what allows variable wattage, it doesn't actually boost the wattage. It allows you to vary the output watts from 0 - maximum watts. But you still can't exceed max watts.

How those regulated mods probably reach those watts is by taking advantage of the fact that the pulse discharge amp limit of the batteries is higher than the continuous.

So they pulse it continuously at those higher amps , turn on and off , so that the average is above the max continous watts.

Surely this will shorten your battery life and heat up the battery/circuits and mod ?

You could achieve the same effect on the mech mod by ensuring that you have a sufficiently low ohm coil and only push the button in pulses.(don't know the amount of time a pulse ise, but I've heard that it's <= 3 secs?)

So at CDR limits then the single battery reg. mod will never have higher watts than a single battery mech mod.

If anyone has an oscilloscope please could you take a picture of what the pulses look like ? :p

Last edited:
Strictly speaking we should be talking about Joules. 1 Watt = 1 Joule per second.
So a Watt is a measure of how fast we use energy (Joules), and we all can be powerful albeit for a short time.

Now the battery is supplying the energy at a constant rate, this energy is 'stored' in the inductors and capacitors in the circuit. This 'stored' energy is then directed into the load (coil) in a much shorter time period.
If we had 10 Joules of energy and we use it in 1 second we have 10 Watts, if we use it in .5 of a second we have 20 watts and in 0.1 second we have 100watts. We are not getting anything for nothing it is just the rate at which the energy is used.

These pulsed circuits are very clever but they are not that clever we get something for nothing. By clever design of the circuit the pulses are designed so the load (the coil) thinks it is a continuous flow of current, it isn't it is pulsed.

Dave

Strictly speaking we should be talking about Joules. 1 Watt = 1 Joule per second.
So a Watt is a measure of how fast we use energy (Joules), and we all can be powerful albeit for a short time.

Now the battery is supplying the energy at a constant rate, this energy is 'stored' in the inductors and capacitors in the circuit. This 'stored' energy is then directed into the load (coil) in a much shorter time period.
If we had 10 Joules of energy and we use it in 1 second we have 10 Watts, if we use it in .5 of a second we have 20 watts and in 0.1 second we have 100watts. We are not getting anything for nothing it is just the rate at which the energy is used.

These pulsed circuits are very clever but they are not that clever we get something for nothing. By clever design of the circuit the pulses are designed so the load (the coil) thinks it is a continuous flow of current, it isn't it is pulsed.

Dave

That's a very good point. But that raises another question I have then.

Pulsing must waste energy on the coil.
When it pulses off won't the collapsing magnetic field on the coil cause an impeding current? So our current flow through the coil will be lower than a mech mods? Because we now have (essentialy) an AC current and from what I remember coils create impedance on an AC current?

anyway a little bit of trivia for those interested in booster circuits: (I've grown quite fascinated in how all this works , it's reignited my love for electricity :p)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter.

That's a very good point. But that raises another question I have then.

Pulsing must waste energy on the coil.
When it pulses off won't the collapsing magnetic field on the coil cause an impeding current? So our current flow through the coil will be lower than a mech mods? Because we now have (essentialy) an AC current and from what I remember coils create impedance on an AC current?

Absolutely true, although smoothing capacitors can help.

(I've grown quite fascinated in how all this works , it's reignited my love for electricity :p)

That's good ........... just don't give it a hug! :rolleyes: :D

Dave

Man am I excited.

I got me a coil jig and some 26g kanthal today. Going to build a ~0.5-0.6 ohm dual coil tonight. Hopefully the ramp up time will be more bearable and the coils less insanely long :p.

4zuedk.jpg

as promised . The above is an image of a 0.6 ohm dual parallel coil build.
Runs nicely and produces the vapour amount I like at the temp I like.

4zuedk.jpg

as promised . The above is an image of a 0.6 ohm dual parallel coil build.
Runs nicely and produces the vapour amount I like at the temp I like.
Very neat coiling @oldtimerZA, that looks like a pretty solid build. FYI, a parallel coil is one that uses two wires for each coil, I suspect you meant "dual horizontal coils"?

This is what a parallel coil looks like...
image.jpeg

Thanks for the safety tips...but I don't have a hybrid device( I have a Nemesis mech mod).I should mention that my nemesis has a top cap, with a screw in pin that connects to the atty's positive post. But it's still appreciated as someone else might find that link useful. I'll add it to the front page.

Back