Kangertech Mini Protank 3

Bought from VK, so I hope it is. Came in white packaging. Didn't order the upgraded coils, only found out later from @PeterHarris that it is.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
The difference between the original coils and the upgraded versions can be distinguished by the wicks.

On the older type coil, the wicks are visible, protruding from the bottom of the coil on the sides. The 'upgraded' coils only have 2 holes on each side, allowing juice to flow into a little metal chamber, in which the coils and wick is situated. I have only used the older type coil in my mini pt3, however, i do know of a few people using the new type coil, and have only heard good things. The only thing i can think of right now is that perhaps the coil isn't tightened enough, and maybe there is a tiny gap where the juice can escape through ?

Exactly what happens, you have too change the washers and hope it works. Hence why I'm saying I won't recommend this too anyone. This is something you would expect from a cheap product. Does the coils have a scratch off code?

Exactly what happens, you have too change the washers and hope it works. Hence why I'm saying I won't recommend this too anyone. This is something you would expect from a cheap product. Does the coils have a scratch off code?

So again, the question is whether one should be using the so called "upgraded" coils in the mPT3 at all? Maybe they are meant to be used in the Aerotank Mini and Mega only?

So again, the question is whether one should be using the so called "upgraded" coils in the mPT3 at all? Maybe they are meant to be used in the Aerotank Mini and Mega only?
The packaging states mPT3? I'm sure the old coils is already phasing out.

The packaging states mPT3? I'm sure the old coils is already phasing out.

Ok, thanks - shall try them in the mPT3 and see if I experience the same problems.

The new coil packaging does state that it is backwards compatibme. I do bot have the mPT3 so can't assist in testing this.

While Kanger does state it works, they don't state it won't leak. Them Chinese fellows don't always thoroughly test these things for backwards compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

The new coil packaging does state that it is backwards compatibme. I do bot have the mPT3 so can't assist in testing this.

While Kanger does state it works, they don't state it won't leak. Them Chinese fellows don't always thoroughly test these things for backwards compatibility.

Lol, thanks.

Would like to hear what the outcome is of your tests @Matthee. I know of a few people using a mini pt3 and new coils with no such issues. In fact, they praise the mpt3 with the new coils.

Would like to hear what the outcome is of your tests @Matthee. I know of a few people using a mini pt3 and new coils with no such issues. In fact, they praise the mpt3 with the new coils.
Have not tried yet. Still some juice in the mPT3 I have to finish.

This whole Protank3 coil business is confusing me.

There seems to be a coil with a big grommet on the chimney
Then theres a coil with a thin grommet - and two little holes for the wicks
And a coil with a thin grommet - and a slit down the sides for the wicks

So, which is the old, then new and the very new ?

The very old is the short stalk coils. Those are single coils though. The dual coils have long stalks, and there is also single coils with long stalks. The very new coils are the ones with the holes on the side, with no wicks protruding.

The very old is the short stalk coils. Those are single coils though. The dual coils have long stalks, and there is also single coils with long stalks. The very new coils are the ones with the holes on the side, with no wicks protruding.
So, the dual coil with the slit is a previous revision?

So, the dual coil with the slit is a previous revision?

There is no dual coil with slit for any protanks made by Kangertech as far as i am aware of. Was perhaps an aftermarket coil ?

Original kangertech evod coil:
Evod 1.jpg

Original kangertech evod coil with long stem (used in Protank range):
protank 1 - 2.jpg

Coil on right is the mpt3 coil (left is for comparison with evod long stem coil):
mpt3.jpg

New kangertech coil design:
Aerotank.jpg Aerotank2.jpg

Thanks, So the last 2 pics show one design with 2 pin prick holes, and the last one show the coil with the just a single hole.

I bought a mPT3 with the two hole design, and a Mini with the slit design. So, I found it a bit confusing... I think I read/heard somewhere that the hole design was battling to wick thicker juices, so they made the small change.

But, from all this, it seems clear that there are 2 mPt's on the market, one with the old style coil and one with the newer style coil. So, it seems @Limbo bought an older style mpt3 with the newer replacement coils, and it could be what's causing the problem.

Thanks, So the last 2 pics show one design with 2 pin prick holes, and the last one show the coil with the just a single hole.

I bought a mPT3 with the two hole design, and a Mini with the slit design. So, I found it a bit confusing... I think I read/heard somewhere that the hole design was battling to wick thicker juices, so they made the small change.

But, from all this, it seems clear that there are 2 mPt's on the market, one with the old style coil and one with the newer style coil. So, it seems @Limbo bought an older style mpt3 with the newer replacement coils, and it could be what's causing the problem.
Well I'd be pretty pissed if that's the case.

It's definitely flooding through the wick holes. If you put on the "old" cap washer, it helps. This restricts the flow too the bottom of the tank.

Think I have found a solution.
Please note: This is only for leaking/gurgling coils.

Step 1: Remove "stem" and the cap which covers the coil.
ry5y6e9u.jpg

Step 2: Use old coil "string" and place over coil.
y4adumys.jpg

Step 3: Refit cap and trim edges.
9adu9edy.jpg

Step 4: Insert "stem".

This solved my issue so far, flavour also seem to be better.

Yoh, so we're back to putting "flavor wicks" into our coils like for the mPt2's when they gurgles and leaked.

For me bigger ID in the coil worked to prevent leaking and gurgling

I have found one coil out of four that doesnt leak. you can actually see the wick inside it, the others you cant really see the wick.
Another tip to check for leaks on tank is too use sunlight liquid. Mix it with water and dump tank in it. Then close some holes and blow on it. The solution will make bubbles at the leak.

How can we make sure that we purchase original Kangertech coils from our vendors ? Sure, you can "sometimes" scratch the box for the security code, but I have not seen these on the coils..? Also, lately when you order a evod 2 or T3D you get it in a cheap sealed plastic bag - no way to authenticate ?

ID? Mine was definitly leaking through the coil.
With standard cups you can go up as high as 2mm ID

On the dual coil cup you can go up to 2,4mm with ease. Have done a 3mm ID on a dual coil cup but it is a tight fit.

How can we make sure that we purchase original Kangertech coils from our vendors ? Sure, you can "sometimes" scratch the box for the security code, but I have not seen these on the coils..? Also, lately when you order a evod 2 or T3D you get it in a cheap sealed plastic bag - no way to authenticate ?
Not sure about the new coils but the normal kanger coils come in a blister pack with the silver back of the blister pack packaging having the kangertech brand on it

Back