Kangertech Subtank Nano Review

Lord Vetinari

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
Well I am throwing down this little review for one reason: I have now 3 times heard shop attendants recommend WAY inferior tanks to newbies. It kinda hacks me off. Here is why:

Probably the best value for money at 350 bucks. If you want a REALLY impressive starter tank this is the one. If you like a compact rig to move around with this is the one. And if like me you like to switch between a number of juices while on the go, you really dont need more than 3ml in a tank.

OK so it is small and this has inherent advantages. But what are we sacrificing here? Honestly, not very much.

I might like a bit more air flow but I am still quite happy with it. Can get proper lung fulls no hassle. But it is obviously nothing on bigger tanks. As a comparison, pretty much the same as the Melo far as air flow goes. Adjusted via a slit and can close all the way of course.

So good direct to lung hits. Mouth to lung hits are absolutelt perfect though. Close the inlet and you can get very nice fat puffs off it no problems. It is particularly good with the 1.2 ohm coils. They seem to be made for MTL because they are really tight for DTL. As in dont even try unless you want a blue face. Do NOT get the 1.2's if you want air flow.

OK so that all sounds fine and well but why am I so in love with these tanks? ABSOLUTELY NO COMPROMISE ON FLAVOR. The first hit really blew my mind. Very unexpected. I was expecting a step down from the Melo in flavor, but quite frankly my Arctic doesnt come close on these. Every note of every blend is blindingly clear. Each little flavor allocated to its own unique zip code. Fantastic it really REALLY is.

And it produces tons if super thick vapor. These SSOCC coils really do kick ass. And I prefer them to the old cube shaped ones anyway. A little detail I really like about those coils is the tight washer ring that fits onto the chimney. It just shows attention to detail.

Built solid. No leaks. I am really precious about mine. I know there arent many around. But I will get more most probably.

No rebuildable deck but you wouldnt want to try with that little room anyhow.

Overall a really fantastic little thing.

Good to hear your experiences. Just ordered a Kanger SUBVOD Starter Kit which uses the Nano tank from 'SlowTech' @ R413 – for an extra R63 I get a 1300mAh 'mod', don't know how long the battery will last, but for something light weight 63 bucks is a steal. Also ordered some SSOCC Coil Heads @ R136 for 5 = R27 each. Now just have to wait!

BTW 'SlowTech' once delivered an order to SA in 2 Days ... then our beloved Post Office took 4 weeks to process and deliver it. This order did not include batteries so went by China Post and not by Singapore Post.

Good to hear your experiences. Just ordered a Kanger SUBVOD Starter Kit which uses the Nano tank from 'SlowTech' @ R413 – for an extra R63 I get a 1300mAh 'mod', don't know how long the battery will last, but for something light weight 63 bucks is a steal. Also ordered some SSOCC Coil Heads @ R136 for 5 = R27 each. Now just have to wait!

BTW 'SlowTech' once delivered an order to SA in 2 Days ... then our beloved Post Office took 4 weeks to process and deliver it. This order did not include batteries so went by China Post and not by Singapore Post.
Even if you chuck the mod away mate you will be a happy camper.
Yeah SAPO take their time with orders from China. Orders from the USA simply move a lot faster. 3 days from when cleared by SARS . If it is DHL it skips customs totally.

It is all about the clearing agent. I always ask retailers in an email who their clearing agent is. DHL rock. FedEX also good.

Even if you chuck the mod away mate you will be a happy camper.
Yeah SAPO take their time with orders from China. Orders from the USA simply move a lot faster. 3 days from when cleared by SARS . If it is DHL it skips customs totally.

It is all about the clearing agent. I always ask retailers in an email who their clearing agent is. DHL rock. FedEX also good.

Initial observations

Replaced the 0.5 coil with a 1.5.

Loaded a subtank mini with a 1.5 @ 15W with the same juice as the subvod.

Not impressed! The subvod did not give the same throat hit as the mini. Moved the nano to the mini – big difference! Seems as the subvod battery doesn't deliver the same 'voltage' as the mini @ only 15W.

Perhaps I'll try juice @ 6 instead of 3

If my math is correct you will only get 11w with a fully charged subvod and a 1.5ohm coil

Just checked with www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp calculator with 1.5 and 3.7V max is 11W.
Changed the coil back to the 0.5 and tried again - huge difference! Calculator shows that with the 0.5 coil the max wattage is 27.
I take back what I previously said about the SubVod! For R63 more than the toptank nano itself I'm now very happy.
Don't know how long the battery will last though. One other thing I noticed about the toptank nano is that the glass gets very hot in use.

Well I am throwing down this little review for one reason: I have now 3 times heard shop attendants recommend WAY inferior tanks to newbies. It kinda hacks me off. Here is why:

Probably the best value for money at 350 bucks. If you want a REALLY impressive starter tank this is the one. If you like a compact rig to move around with this is the one. And if like me you like to switch between a number of juices while on the go, you really dont need more than 3ml in a tank.

OK so it is small and this has inherent advantages. But what are we sacrificing here? Honestly, not very much.

I might like a bit more air flow but I am still quite happy with it. Can get proper lung fulls no hassle. But it is obviously nothing on bigger tanks. As a comparison, pretty much the same as the Melo far as air flow goes. Adjusted via a slit and can close all the way of course.

So good direct to lung hits. Mouth to lung hits are absolutelt perfect though. Close the inlet and you can get very nice fat puffs off it no problems. It is particularly good with the 1.2 ohm coils. They seem to be made for MTL because they are really tight for DTL. As in dont even try unless you want a blue face. Do NOT get the 1.2's if you want air flow.

OK so that all sounds fine and well but why am I so in love with these tanks? ABSOLUTELY NO COMPROMISE ON FLAVOR. The first hit really blew my mind. Very unexpected. I was expecting a step down from the Melo in flavor, but quite frankly my Arctic doesnt come close on these. Every note of every blend is blindingly clear. Each little flavor allocated to its own unique zip code. Fantastic it really REALLY is.

And it produces tons if super thick vapor. These SSOCC coils really do kick ass. And I prefer them to the old cube shaped ones anyway. A little detail I really like about those coils is the tight washer ring that fits onto the chimney. It just shows attention to detail.

Built solid. No leaks. I am really precious about mine. I know there arent many around. But I will get more most probably.

No rebuildable deck but you wouldnt want to try with that little room anyhow.

Overall a really fantastic little thing.
Had a Nano, one of my first tanks, but was stolen by the wife

Just checked with www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp calculator with 1.5 and 3.7V max is 11W.
Changed the coil back to the 0.5 and tried again - huge difference! Calculator shows that with the 0.5 coil the max wattage is 27.
I take back what I previously said about the SubVod! For R63 more than the toptank nano itself I'm now very happy.
Don't know how long the battery will last though. One other thing I noticed about the toptank nano is that the glass gets very hot in use.
Yup they warm up properly. Huge amount of steam coming through those little tanks! Just watch for heat on your battery/mod... I find they vape even better once the tank is warm.

Did a time test on the battery today = 7.5 hours of continual use. At home so chain vaping. Went through 1.75 tanks of juice. Just a pity that the battery is not sold separately! Might buy another kit!

You can always buy an ego one battery it is 2200mah and 19mm in diameter so it should fit

An ego one battery locally is +- R450 ... from FastTech a complete subvod is R463 and an ego one battery is +- R248. So for about R200 more I can get another toptank nano and a battery.
Recharge time on the subvod battery was 3.5 hours. Of course at home I can always use the usb pass through. Out and about & at work, 7.5 hours or more is good enough for me
Out of interest I attached the nano to an old ego-t battery and it worked ... looked stupid though! So I guess I'll look out all the old ego-t batteries that I have and see which ones still work - as a standby! I've even got a usb variable voltage usb pass through 3.0 - 4.8 V lurking somewhere that I might try. I can always depend on my good old GreenSmoke to see me through the day.

Just make sure all that other batteries can handle and is rated for sub ohm ;).

Back