KIZOKU - Techmod

Side by side mods have been around since the dark ages in vaping terms. They have ranged from high end to middle of the road and even clones.

IMO manufacturers lead us by our noses. To many new vapers the recently released side by sides may seem novel and even revolutionary. In reality there have been no real advances here. Just a bit of tweaking here and there. Some of the old ones look great. When it comes to features take a close look. The old ones aren't far behind, if at all.

There are so many of them I got tired of copying and pasting but if you are interested in the development, or lack thereof, take a look for yourself.

Kato 2014
1910203-3-thumb.jpg

Continental Mods clone 2015
2442602-11-thumb.jpg

Athena Envy 2016

5191701-10-thumb.jpg

XvoStick 2015

3574401-4-thumb.jpg

Teslacigs Stealth 2016

5922901-11-thumb.jpg

Kangvape Mini Leader 2016

5934703-18-thumb.jpg

Eleaf Aster 2016

6423204-9-thumb.jpg

Rofvape Witcher 2016

6456301-3-thumb.jpg

Smoant Knight V1 2016

Smoant-Knight-V1-temp-control-mod.jpg

The Vype eBox 2016

vype-ebox-review.jpg

Mirbau

wHHkmAH.jpg

Side by side mods have been around since the dark ages in vaping terms. They have ranged from high end to middle of the road and even clones.

IMO manufacturers lead us by our noses. To many new vapers the recently released side by sides may seem novel and even revolutionary. In reality there have been no real advances here. Just a bit of tweaking here and there. Some of the old ones look great. When it comes to features take a close look. The old ones aren't far behind, if at all.

There are so many of them I got tired of copying and pasting but if you are interested in the development, or lack thereof, take a look for yourself.

Kato 2014
1910203-3-thumb.jpg

2442602-11-thumb.jpg

Athena Envy 2016

5191701-10-thumb.jpg

XvoStick 2015

3574401-4-thumb.jpg

Teslacigs Stealth 2016

5922901-11-thumb.jpg

5934703-18-thumb.jpg

Eleaf Aster 2016

6423204-9-thumb.jpg

Rofvape Witcher 2016

6456301-3-thumb.jpg

Smoant Knight V1 2016

The Vype eBox 2016

vype-ebox-review.jpg

Mirbau

wHHkmAH.jpg
I think while nothing revolutionary (apart from the SXK one that can take Boro tanks), it is still cool to see a resurgence on SBS mods. Many new vapers (myself included) have not seem most of the mods on your list and I think it will be tough to try and find them now.
If we are honest, most 18650 mods have not changed that much either. Vapers love little changes, tweaks and details are what keeps us burrowing down the rabbit hole.

I think while nothing revolutionary (apart from the SXK one that can take Boro tanks), it is still cool to see a resurgence on SBS mods. Many new vapers (myself included) have not seem most of the mods on your list and I think it will be tough to try and find them now.
If we are honest, most 18650 mods have not changed that much either. Vapers love little changes, tweaks and details are what keeps us burrowing down the rabbit hole.

I agree. It's just nice to know that you are buying an updated "retro" mod rather than a new system. Its obviously all about personal taste. Some of the old mod designs look really nice to me but perhaps it's just nostalgia. Having said that some of the old mods are really strange by today's standards.

Kato 2014
1910203-3-thumb.jpg

2442602-11-thumb.jpg

Athena Envy 2016

5191701-10-thumb.jpg

XvoStick 2015

3574401-4-thumb.jpg

Teslacigs Stealth 2016

5922901-11-thumb.jpg

5934703-18-thumb.jpg

Eleaf Aster 2016

6423204-9-thumb.jpg

Rofvape Witcher 2016

6456301-3-thumb.jpg

Smoant Knight V1 2016

The Vype eBox 2016

vype-ebox-review.jpg

Mirbau

wHHkmAH.jpg
Must say The Mirbau looks nice 8--), yes no different to fashions go full circle! I think the real interest has extended to many vapers including those that have been around the block because in the past in general the mainstream affordable ones offered little in the way of style for example nearly all those pictured just don't aesthetically appeal to me while some high end ones looked stunning.

The collaboration between Aspire and sunbox changed that with Sunbox bringing that high end style while Aspire offers it mass produced to keep the price in the mainstream market. Now other manufacturers are seeing you can concentrate on styling and make things higher quality with more attention to detail and keep the price down as sheer numbers sold will secure a profit.

This isn't just side by sides though as one of the new trends in vaping is high end manufacturers collaboration with mainstream ones so @vicTor for example gets his gorgeous Dovpo + Signature tips clutch device! The collaborations between manufacturer and single reviewer seem to be slowing down in favour of this approach or when a reviewer collaboration is done a third party is also brought into the design process!

Must say The Mirbau looks nice 8--), yes no different to fashions go full circle! I think the real interest has extended to many vapers including those that have been around the block because in the past in general the mainstream affordable ones offered little in the way of style for example nearly all those pictured just don't aesthetically appeal to me while some high end ones looked stunning.

The collaboration between Aspire and sunbox changed that with Sunbox bringing that high end style while Aspire offers it mass produced to keep the price in the mainstream market. Now other manufacturers are seeing you can concentrate on styling and make things higher quality with more attention to detail and keep the price down as sheer numbers sold will secure a profit.

This isn't just side by sides though as one of the new trends in vaping is high end manufacturers collaboration with mainstream ones so @vicTor for example gets his gorgeous Dovpo + Signature tips clutch device! The collaborations between manufacturer and single reviewer seem to be slowing down in favour of this approach or when a reviewer collaboration is done a third party is also brought into the design process!
The Ambition Mods collaboration with Sunbox just prior to The Aspire Mixx also wetted the appetite somewhat which helped the Mixx take off so i suppose that was really the device that started the latest wave of side by sides off, in fact looking at the two devices the basic design is similar if they were solely by the same manufacturer they easily could of been V1 and V2!

Back