Kui Squonker

Xhale

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
After reading about this device here, I managed to acquire one from a forum closer to my location.
The one I received was shiny with no logo on the door, and with a 22mm atty, and the newer style power switch and a baggie of spares.

This is my 3rd bottom feeder, but none have been a Reo. I still to this day have not held, or even seen a Reo in real life. So perhaps this is an awesome approach, I dont have any preconceived ideas. From reading other reviews, if this item is good, then a reo must be good or even better.

Ok, first off.
Weight. This is a zinc casting, not aluminium. There's reasons for this, and you can find some of them here http://www.brillcast.com/aluminum-die-casting.html

It means it is a bit heavier than a plastic/wood or aluminium box. But due to the size, it isnt so heavy that you cant vape with it. My previous bf (the Firebox) was close to 280g empty, no batt, no atty, no juice. So this actually feels lighter to me. Personally, I will investigate some weight-saving holes as I prefer light/feather touch etc type vaping.

(ignoring the 22mm atty for now...and just concentrating on the device itself)
Putting it together to get your first vape is childs play. Fill the bottle, screw it back in, whip in a battery, vape. Its that simple.
The front door is on magnets, and can slide in from the top or bottom with ease. Letting the door fall by itself in to the recess and the magnets grab it without a problem and lock it in place. Nice. The very bottom edge of the door on the left and right side is ever-so-slightly different radius than the box itself, so I'll fix that on some sandpaper tonight while watching some really incredibly exciting show that my wife chose on t.v.
Also, door doesnt rattle.
Battery does rattle though..it'll bang on the inside of the case if you shake the device. I can fix this easily with some padding or a bit of foam or (shock horror) ignore it.

The switch is a funny affair. It can press down too far, causing the black plastic cover to swivel and the battery to compress against the spring. My earlier reading led me to believe you can work this out by half-locking the switch, so that the button cant push down that far. I did this and it worked perfectly. But looked ugly. The solution (to me) was to fit an oring from a drip tip around the exposed brass threads.
kuibutton.jpg

I can now get the switch positioned such that it makes contact with only the lightest pressure being applied to the black plastic, which means it is not enough for the battery spring to compress (and the black plastic hardly even moves when no battery is in place). This means, the switch is quite light now, there is no "rasping" noise when firing (comes from battery spring and plastic moving) and it is almost a hair trigger. I like it so much more like this.

While doing this I took the switch apart and found it had two springs, intertwined. I dont know if this is from the factory to give it a stiffer button, but I was quite happy to remove one spring so the button is now feather light.

I have used the supplied atty for a bit, but as I had a tobh already coiled and in use I just swopped them over so I can compare (for reasons explained later). The 510 pin can be adjusted down or up to get the atty to sit flush, although I can tell if you had a longish positive post on your atty it'll be difficult to get it flat. My tobh post is almost bang on level with the outer section, yet the KUI screw had to be adjusted half a turn from the bottom to give a flush fit. Essentially, the adjusting screw is half mm too tall, and this is loads better than half mm too short. I can fix it if it is too tall.

Lastly, the supplied piping is leaving an absolute horrible taste. I said above how I swopped attys...this was because of a horrible taste issue I am troubleshooting. I've narrowed it down to the piping. I'll go boil it etc shortly, but I fear I may need to get some generic food safe piping and replace the supplied piping.

All said, taking into consideration the cost, I have not received a broken device, or a device that half works, or a blatant rip off of someone else's work+logo etc..... I've got a squonk box that works well enough and exceeds my expectations. Any finishing work that I have to do to get it 100% is negligible in my eyes, and totally forgivable.

I'll try address the Reo similarities.
The Pisces tube mod (which I own) is almost 100% identical to the M16 tube mod (which I own), if the two of us were sitting by a fire and I grabbed a napkin and explained to you how they worked without you ever seeing one. I could draw every part of it, and then later show you either mod and you would say I was talking about that mod. Yet nobody says one cloned the other. They are both originals.
I know this is perhaps the first chinese origin mechanical squonker, and I know it is a rectangular box with a button on top and a sliding door. And if nothing else, that is why people will say "its like a Reo". And it is "like a Reo" enough that if you tried to tell me what a KUI was and said "its like a reo" I would have a good idea what it was. But all the dimensions are different, the switch works only in a similar way..in fact this thing is further from a Reo than the Pisces is from the M16. To me, its a tube mod, when a tube mod alreadsy exists. There will be uproar (hopefully died down by now) but once the 28th different chinese squoinking box has been announced, perhaps then we can compare "squonking box mods" in the same light as we compare "tube mods". Most tube mods have the button on the bottom...why would it be a sin if most squonking boxmods have the button on top? No, we have to treat this device as the first chinese version of a device that already exists. Its another rectangular android phone with the speeaker on top and mic on the bottom and a home button in a sea of rectangular iphones. I promise you, if the evil-clone-empire wanted to make a thing jsut like a reo, it would be "just like a reo" in every sense...to the point that I could go buy a reo door and button and fit it. But this isnt that device. It works just like a reo, sure. And so does the Orange Steam Box I hacked together last weekend without ever seeing a reo in real life. There's only so many ways to do a certain thing. That said, I also convinced that whomever made this had at one time seen or used a reo, and thought to make theirs "like that". And the bloke who made the Stingray tube no doubt owned or saw a Nemesis. same shit, different country.

My only closing thought would be the 510 connector threads. I just dont have faith in it lasting me to the grave, so will dedicate one atty to this device and leave it on top fulltime. On receipt, the supplied atty screwed in just fine, but my tobh had a small amount of resistance on the final turn. One or two times screwing it back in and out again fixed this, so the threads were either a bit dirty, or they are softer than the atty was. As i received the device s/h I cant say for sure if this was the previous owners filth, or a manufacturing oddity, or if it is related to the type of material used for the 510.

Last edited:
@Xhale the new 510 fittings they use on these are press fit affairs and extracting them is not hard if you need to replace it.

@Xhale the new 510 fittings they use on these are press fit affairs and extracting them is not hard if you need to replace it.
excellent..the photos I saw in the Pallas thread show brass fittings, but mine are shiny-silver-chinese mystery metal. Also the case itself appears to be chrome plated, not raw metal made shiny.
I'm a little disappointed the spares baggie didnt have a replacement 510 connector, pipe-to-pin metal section or the tiny 510 screw (or perhaps they did and the previous owner kept them).. Thats what I will be after next so that I can service this device should it ever require it.

I'm boiling my pipe now:)

excellent..the photos I saw in the Pallas thread show brass fittings, but mine are shiny-silver-chinese mystery metal. Also the case itself appears to be chrome plated, not raw metal made shiny.
I'm a little disappointed the spares baggie didnt have a replacement 510 connector, pipe-to-pin metal section or the tiny 510 screw (or perhaps they did and the previous owner kept them).. Thats what I will be after next so that I can service this device should it ever require it.

I'm boiling my pipe now:)
The silver ones are the new 510. The actual bottom feed pin is not a user replaceable part. Change the whole fitting rather. As far as I know the only spares it ships with are a bottle or 2 and a hot spring.
Be careful with that adjuster screw its soft and turning an atty hard up against it and thinking, oh only half a turn to flush I'll give it some torque will most probably end in tears.

I know a few people who are perpetually "unlucky"..they're very unlucky to have dropped their phone, and even more unlucky to have stripped that caliper bolt. And its also terribly unlucky that the post on the rda snapped when they were tightening their coil. All in one day. They just seem to have bad luck all the time. Its got nothing to do with their technique, they just suffer from bad luck I tell you.

Touch wood, I'm one of the lucky ones :)
I've got (and can use) a metal lathe, so if worst comes to worst I'll make another pin if my eyes co-operate on the smaller stuff.

Anyway, tube boiled, flavour is calming down (I think the juice in the bottle is contaminated now from the pipe), so once that is empty I'll rinse the whole thing again and start fresh.
Thoroughly enjoying this device.

Great detailed writeup @Xhale
You have such a super grasp of these things
Very informative

Great detailed writeup @Xhale
You have such a super grasp of these things
Very informative
Thank you Silver! I spent over a decade evaluating chinese laptops for resale..you end up understanding what is a good cost cutting measure and what is a bad idea, and you do end up being very objective. Also, once they sold some boomerang back for repairs, so you can then judge your own judgement so to speak. Was that a bad idea? yes...because it broke etc etc.

I'm not the world's most unbiased person by a long shot, yet I would like to think you should look at something and judge it on what it is...not on what it isnt.
I know this may fly against popular opinion, but I can afford a Reo, easily. I choose not to pay that money though. Sorry if this offends someone.

Thank you Silver! I spent over a decade evaluating chinese laptops for resale..you end up understanding what is a good cost cutting measure and what is a bad idea, and you do end up being very objective. Also, once they sold some boomerang back for repairs, so you can then judge your own judgement so to speak. Was that a bad idea? yes...because it broke etc etc.

I'm not the world's most unbiased person by a long shot, yet I would like to think you should look at something and judge it on what it is...not on what it isnt.
I know this may fly against popular opinion, but I can afford a Reo, easily. I choose not to pay that money though. Sorry if this offends someone.

It is absolutely marvellous that someone with your type of experience in this is here and that you are sharing your views and findings.

On the issue of the Reo, it doesnt offend me at all.

What works for you is great and if you are able to share your knowledge in a way that helps others - thats what its all about and that's what counts!

An update:
While things looks great initially, I've been having a small leak. I ignored this on day#2 as I thought it was a combination of me taking it apart a few times with liquidy hands, oversquonking, loose bottle or pipe or any number of other excuses.
But last night before going to bed I cleaned and dried the whole inside. Spotless.
vaped a bit this morning and then took it apart to see what I can see. There was fluid in some places. Strip it time.

pic 1: looking at the bottom of the centre pin, it is clear the hole isnt centrally drilled (I hope it is clear:) (bits of toilet paper are optional and may not appear on your mod)
WP_20150429_09_17_34_Pro.jpg

pic2:
WP_20150429_09_17_18_Pro.jpg

viewed from the side, it is clear what is going on. That pinhole on the side shouldnt be there. The leaf contact sits in that area, and then the lower nipple section screws up against it. Because the centre hole is drilled offset, once the shoulder for the threading was added it broke through the thin wall at that side (theory)

I'm a bit sad to be honest. The design is fine, yet in this case a simple error has caused a bit of grief. I'm sure I can remedy this (oring placed at that section...tiny itty bitty one, or some form of glue (meaning the connector wont be removable) or hit @kimbo up for a "upgrade" 510 to replace this with funds going his way to cover it.

Either way, I still have faith in the product (picture drawn on piece of paper is sound) but the person drilling has ruined my day now.

An update:
While things looks great initially, I've been having a small leak. I ignored this on day#2 as I thought it was a combination of me taking it apart a few times with liquidy hands, oversquonking, loose bottle or pipe or any number of other excuses.
But last night before going to bed I cleaned and dried the whole inside. Spotless.
vaped a bit this morning and then took it apart to see what I can see. There was fluid in some places. Strip it time.

pic 1: looking at the bottom of the centre pin, it is clear the hole isnt centrally drilled (I hope it is clear:) (bits of toilet paper are optional and may not appear on your mod)

pic2:

viewed from the side, it is clear what is going on. That pinhole on the side shouldnt be there. The leaf contact sits in that area, and then the lower nipple section screws up against it. Because the centre hole is drilled offset, once the shoulder for the threading was added it broke through the thin wall at that side (theory)

I'm a bit sad to be honest. The design is fine, yet in this case a simple error has caused a bit of grief. I'm sure I can remedy this (oring placed at that section...tiny itty bitty one, or some form of glue (meaning the connector wont be removable) or hit @kimbo up for a "upgrade" 510 to replace this with funds going his way to cover it.

Either way, I still have faith in the product (picture drawn on piece of paper is sound) but the person drilling has ruined my day now.
Looks like some bugger when all kamakazi with the drill, dop me a PM and i will sort you out with a new 510 mate ;)

only if you will let me pay for it. I didnt buy this from you so wont inconvenience you.
I'm going through my stash of o'rings now, so it isnt a "man down, all hands on deck" situation, but I would like this piece to be correct at some stage, so a replacement would be ideal

just to confirm, this piece is a press fit unit?

only if you will let me pay for it. I didnt buy this from you so wont inconvenience you.
I'm going through my stash of o'rings now, so it isnt a "man down, all hands on deck" situation, but I would like this piece to be correct at some stage, so a replacement would be ideal

just to confirm, this piece is a press fit unit?
Silver ones yes pure press fit. Brass ones some epoxy is employed to seat it.

After reading about this device here, I managed to acquire one from a forum closer to my location.
The one I received was shiny with no logo on the door, and with a 22mm atty, and the newer style power switch and a baggie of spares.

This is my 3rd bottom feeder, but none have been a Reo. I still to this day have not held, or even seen a Reo in real life. So perhaps this is an awesome approach, I dont have any preconceived ideas. From reading other reviews, if this item is good, then a reo must be good or even better.

Ok, first off.
Weight. This is a zinc casting, not aluminium. There's reasons for this, and you can find some of them here http://www.brillcast.com/aluminum-die-casting.html

It means it is a bit heavier than a plastic/wood or aluminium box. But due to the size, it isnt so heavy that you cant vape with it. My previous bf (the Firebox) was close to 280g empty, no batt, no atty, no juice. So this actually feels lighter to me. Personally, I will investigate some weight-saving holes as I prefer light/feather touch etc type vaping.

(ignoring the 22mm atty for now...and just concentrating on the device itself)
Putting it together to get your first vape is childs play. Fill the bottle, screw it back in, whip in a battery, vape. Its that simple.
The front door is on magnets, and can slide in from the top or bottom with ease. Letting the door fall by itself in to the recess and the magnets grab it without a problem and lock it in place. Nice. The very bottom edge of the door on the left and right side is ever-so-slightly different radius than the box itself, so I'll fix that on some sandpaper tonight while watching some really incredibly exciting show that my wife chose on t.v.
Also, door doesnt rattle.
Battery does rattle though..it'll bang on the inside of the case if you shake the device. I can fix this easily with some padding or a bit of foam or (shock horror) ignore it.

The switch is a funny affair. It can press down too far, causing the black plastic cover to swivel and the battery to compress against the spring. My earlier reading led me to believe you can work this out by half-locking the switch, so that the button cant push down that far. I did this and it worked perfectly. But looked ugly. The solution (to me) was to fit an oring from a drip tip around the exposed brass threads.
kuibutton.jpg

I can now get the switch positioned such that it makes contact with only the lightest pressure being applied to the black plastic, which means it is not enough for the battery spring to compress (and the black plastic hardly even moves when no battery is in place). This means, the switch is quite light now, there is no "rasping" noise when firing (comes from battery spring and plastic moving) and it is almost a hair trigger. I like it so much more like this.

While doing this I took the switch apart and found it had two springs, intertwined. I dont know if this is from the factory to give it a stiffer button, but I was quite happy to remove one spring so the button is now feather light.

I have used the supplied atty for a bit, but as I had a tobh already coiled and in use I just swopped them over so I can compare (for reasons explained later). The 510 pin can be adjusted down or up to get the atty to sit flush, although I can tell if you had a longish positive post on your atty it'll be difficult to get it flat. My tobh post is almost bang on level with the outer section, yet the KUI screw had to be adjusted half a turn from the bottom to give a flush fit. Essentially, the adjusting screw is half mm too tall, and this is loads better than half mm too short. I can fix it if it is too tall.

Lastly, the supplied piping is leaving an absolute horrible taste. I said above how I swopped attys...this was because of a horrible taste issue I am troubleshooting. I've narrowed it down to the piping. I'll go boil it etc shortly, but I fear I may need to get some generic food safe piping and replace the supplied piping.

All said, taking into consideration the cost, I have not received a broken device, or a device that half works, or a blatant rip off of someone else's work+logo etc..... I've got a squonk box that works well enough and exceeds my expectations. Any finishing work that I have to do to get it 100% is negligible in my eyes, and totally forgivable.

I'll try address the Reo similarities.
The Pisces tube mod (which I own) is almost 100% identical to the M16 tube mod (which I own), if the two of us were sitting by a fire and I grabbed a napkin and explained to you how they worked without you ever seeing one. I could draw every part of it, and then later show you either mod and you would say I was talking about that mod. Yet nobody says one cloned the other. They are both originals.
I know this is perhaps the first chinese origin mechanical squonker, and I know it is a rectangular box with a button on top and a sliding door. And if nothing else, that is why people will say "its like a Reo". And it is "like a Reo" enough that if you tried to tell me what a KUI was and said "its like a reo" I would have a good idea what it was. But all the dimensions are different, the switch works only in a similar way..in fact this thing is further from a Reo than the Pisces is from the M16. To me, its a tube mod, when a tube mod alreadsy exists. There will be uproar (hopefully died down by now) but once the 28th different chinese squoinking box has been announced, perhaps then we can compare "squonking box mods" in the same light as we compare "tube mods". Most tube mods have the button on the bottom...why would it be a sin if most squonking boxmods have the button on top? No, we have to treat this device as the first chinese version of a device that already exists. Its another rectangular android phone with the speeaker on top and mic on the bottom and a home button in a sea of rectangular iphones. I promise you, if the evil-clone-empire wanted to make a thing jsut like a reo, it would be "just like a reo" in every sense...to the point that I could go buy a reo door and button and fit it. But this isnt that device. It works just like a reo, sure. And so does the Orange Steam Box I hacked together last weekend without ever seeing a reo in real life. There's only so many ways to do a certain thing. That said, I also convinced that whomever made this had at one time seen or used a reo, and thought to make theirs "like that". And the bloke who made the Stingray tube no doubt owned or saw a Nemesis. same shit, different country.

My only closing thought would be the 510 connector threads. I just don't have faith in it lasting me to the grave, so will dedicate one atty to this device and leave it on top full-time. On receipt, the supplied atty screwed in just fine, but my tobh had a small amount of resistance on the final turn. One or two times screwing it back in and out again fixed this, so the threads were either a bit dirty, or they are softer than the atty was. As i received the device s/h I cant say for sure if this was the previous owners filth, or a manufacturing oddity, or if it is related to the type of material used for the 510.
I love what you said here... bottom feeders cannot exclusively be REO, or the evolution of the bottom feeder would take forever to get better... the fact that there are competing devices coming in now simply means that these devices will now push each other to outperform the rest... If REO's mods do not see it this way, they will become the Microsoft of bottom feeders, and the googles will overtake them... I hope for the sake of pure reonaughts that REO's Mods realizes this and accepts this as competition, and not as an attack on them...

Like you mentioned, Tube modes are all "clones" of the very first original one, and I would not be able to tell you what that was, hehe... but the fact that there are a whole bunch of them out there has more than definitely improved the performance of the ones following.. new innovative ways of working them come out regularly....

In the end we should be thankful that competition comes out so as to improve the end result :) and that is in my opinion the result everyone is going for... a perfect vape for every person regardless of other's opinions but rather your own preference.

An update:

pic2:

Thanks for posting this @Xhale

I had exactly the same experience as you and after reading your post I had a look at mine. It's also has a hole on the side in the threaded area. Curiously, have you got the v1 or v2 Kui?

If you manage to fix yours, please post here as well for those of us DIY-challenged members such as myself :confused:

I have had 0 leaking issues on mine, and it's the v2 from the latest batch... works perfectly.... just getting used to the squanking is a *****... at least not getting dry hits anymore, hehe... can taste a flavor difference and then just squank, but sometimes (basically all the time) I over squank ending up with a over juiced vape for a pull or two, LOL

all and all the device is still holding up pretty good.... will give my final thoughts on it soon on the thread I started as a bit of a review on this... one thing I can say without a doubt right off the bat... do not use flat top batteries with this, the flat top battery's sit loose, it still works but you have battery rattle... with nipple top batteries it works 100% no battery rattle!!!

I have had 0 leaking issues on mine, and it's the v2 from the latest batch... works perfectly.... just getting used to the squanking is a *****... at least not getting dry hits anymore, hehe... can taste a flavor difference and then just squank, but sometimes (basically all the time) I over squank ending up with a over juiced vape for a pull or two, LOL

all and all the device is still holding up pretty good.... will give my final thoughts on it soon on the thread I started as a bit of a review on this... one thing I can say without a doubt right off the bat... do not use flat top batteries with this, the flat top battery's sit loose, it still works but you have battery rattle... with nipple top batteries it works 100% no battery rattle!!!

Cool man, glad you're not having any leaking issues. I've also a v2 from the latest batch and experience the same leaking @Xhale is. After seeing his post I checked mine and it's exactly the same.

This is my first bf mod and also still getting used to squonking. I very often pop the top off my atty to check that my wicks are saturated. On occasion I pop the top off and squonk so I can see the how much juice is feeding to my wicks.

I use flat top batteries in mine and I don't have any battery rattle, at least not that I noticed.

in mine I used the nipple top first and in my video demoing the "no rattles" that is the battery in there, but wen the following day to get another battery from vape king and the flat top had the rattle issues, with the nipple top you can shake this like a mad man with 0 rattles, and on the flat top especially going side to side it has rattles from the battery basically running between the back and the front cover... nothing to serious, I just enjoy it when a device feels solid, and with the flat top it does not... think it might be a bit of OCD there, hehe

Thanks for posting this @Xhale

I had exactly the same experience as you and after reading your post I had a look at mine. It's also has a hole on the side in the threaded area. Curiously, have you got the v1 or v2 Kui?

If you manage to fix yours, please post here as well for those of us DIY-challenged members such as myself :confused:
mine is v2, but I didnt get it from @kimbo . there is too much water between to us make it economically feasible so i got it s/h from a uk forum.
What I have done for now is to take the tiniest sliver off the end of the flexible pipe..this then becomes an o'ring which I have slipped over that area. Just opened it nwo and the leak is almost gone, but its going ot need one oring above the copper strip and one below it, which may cause it to make bad contact electrically.

What I am doing now is staring out the window pondering, wondering if there is an electrically conductive paint I can spray onto both sides of the copper strip, tighten it all together, and then the paint will act as a seal (kinda like a silicon gasket)...but as I said, i'm still staring out the window having a good ponder.

is your hole in exactly the same place..pointing towards the switch?

Just checked if I had any battery rattles. I noticed that if I swing the mod side to side (imagine holding the mod with the logo facing you and swinging it left to right) I have absolutely no rattle. But if i swing it forward-backward / back-to-front (imagine holding the mod with the logo facing you and tipping the mod forward and backwards) then there is a bit of a rattle. So that confirms your issue on the battery rattle :)

Actually, its time for a funny story to lighten the day up.
When I got the KUI I was sick in bed, so just kinda put stuff on the duvet and played with it...Once I was squonking away nicely and it was tidy up time I found these two very small see-through o'rings. And I started panicking. Where do they go? did they drop out of the mod?

Anyway, about an hour later after staring at the KUI I realised where they came from.....it was when I trimmed the flexible tubing just a little bit, test fitted, then cut another small bit off.

Did you think that was funny? Wait, there's more.

(wait 2 days)

So this morning, mr excellent memory decides to unfoggy my mind and remind me that somewhere recently I had seen two small see-through o'rings..so I started hunting in my vape box, packaging, everwhere. Eventually I found them in the KUI box. And then i realised (again) where they had came from...and that all the time I was looking for the orings I had the KUI in my hand and couldve just cut a small bit off the pipe.

true story.

mine is v2, but I didnt get it from @kimbo . there is too much water between to us make it economically feasible so i got it s/h from a uk forum.
What I have done for now is to take the tiniest sliver off the end of the flexible pipe..this then becomes an o'ring which I have slipped over that area. Just opened it nwo and the leak is almost gone, but its going ot need one oring above the copper strip and one below it, which may cause it to make bad contact electrically.

What I am doing now is staring out the window pondering, wondering if there is an electrically conductive paint I can spray onto both sides of the copper strip, tighten it all together, and then the paint will act as a seal (kinda like a silicon gasket)...but as I said, i'm still staring out the window having a good ponder.

is your hole in exactly the same place..pointing towards the switch?

Yip my hole is exactly in the same place, possibly the same size as well.

Yip my hole is exactly in the same place, possibly the same size as well.
I think we should keep that between ourselves:)

OK, tried it with two orings and we have a no fire condition. The copper strip is insulated from the 510 pin. Need another plan.

I think we should keep that between ourselves:)

OK, tried it with two orings and we have a no fire condition. The copper strip is insulated from the 510 pin. Need another plan.
You want me to arrange some Pratleys Steel quickset for you with the salad dressing?

Back