LIME ICE - My first "semi DIY" juice - then full DIY

70 flavours :eek:

I'm curious, do you work with recipes? Or just mix up whatever you think might work?
If you don't mind me asking :)

I do both. Some mixes originated from a recipe and some are entirely from scratch (sitting with pen and paper). Occasionally I do a mix inspired by something I have vaped.

I like to make small batches from any new flavour I have, let it steep and then only once I have the concentration right will I think of what would compliment it. That is how I created my current ADV which I vape 5 -10ml per day.

However I document all my recipes in eJuice Me Up.

I do both. Some mixes originated from a recipe and some are entirely from scratch (sitting with pen and paper). Occasionally I do a mix inspired by something I have vaped.

I like to make small batches from any new flavour I have, let it steep and then only once I have the concentration right will I think of what would compliment it. That is how I created my current ADV which I vape 5 -10ml per day.

However I document all my recipes in eJuice Me Up.

Nice :)
I suppose I better actually save on eJuice Me Up.

lol... I looked at my stock last night of around 20 flavours, and already felt overwhelmed

LOL..................I have over 70 flavour concentrates. Constantly cleaning syringes is not an option.

Doesn't matter if you have 5000...you'll only ever use 5-20 at a time - if you are using more than that, rent a laboratory you mad scientist :p;)

That sounds delicious. I dont have a raspberry concentrate. But i will put that in my "to buy" list.

Here's a question for the more experienced mixologists...

If I attempt this Raspberry Lime Ice mix, do I add 10drops raspberry or do I take a bit away from the Lime and the Menthol and use that for the raspberry? As a first guess, what do you think would come out better?

I.e.
10 drops lime, 10 drops menthol, 10 drops raspberry (30 drops of flavour, instead of my original 20 drops)

Or

7 drops lime, 7 drops menthol, 7 drops raspberry (still near 20 drops of total flavour)

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but i am a diy noob ;-)

Somebody already said it, but i got lazy with quotes: You're gonna have to experiment.
Some flavours are really really weak.
Strawberry is another one of those weaklings... In my Strawberry tart recipe, I ended up after multiple iterations, with the strawberry concentrate sitting at around 10%, with ALL THE REST of the flavours only TOTALING 5%.
This was not from the initial "guesstimates". Originally started with MUCH lower numbers and worked it over time to refine it.

Based on how I've been working:
My best GUESS, if Raspberry is as weak as Strawberry, in drops as per your example: 7-7-12 (Lime/Menthol/Raspberry). If things dont work out right with those numbers, first step would be to lower the 7-7. But - as your main focus is menthol - you might end up with a very odd ratio; Something to the lines of 4-7-10, or something like that. It mainly depends on what your main focus with the juice is.
If after some testing you start losing the Lime flavour, bump it back up a little, and then start muscling the raspberry a bit higher until the two get to the level where you like it. Dont adjust your "MAIN FLAVOUR" (Menthol) in the juice unless you are nearing the end. It's easier for me to first balance the supporting cast, and then finalize the main star.

Mix a very small batch, possibly half or less of what you currently do. Also - just remember to keep in mind that more flavours = more steep.

Somebody already said it, but i got lazy with quotes: You're gonna have to experiment.
Some flavours are really really weak.
Strawberry is another one of those weaklings... In my Strawberry tart recipe, I ended up after multiple iterations, with the strawberry concentrate sitting at around 10%, with ALL THE REST of the flavours only TOTALING 5%.
This was not from the initial "guesstimates". Originally started with MUCH lower numbers and worked it over time to refine it.

Based on how I've been working:
My best GUESS, if Raspberry is as weak as Strawberry, in drops as per your example: 7-7-12 (Lime/Menthol/Raspberry). If things dont work out right with those numbers, first step would be to lower the 7-7. But - as your main focus is menthol - you might end up with a very odd ratio; Something to the lines of 4-7-10, or something like that. It mainly depends on what your main focus with the juice is.
If after some testing you start losing the Lime flavour, bump it back up a little, and then start muscling the raspberry a bit higher until the two get to the level where you like it. Dont adjust your "MAIN FLAVOUR" (Menthol) in the juice unless you are nearing the end. It's easier for me to first balance the supporting cast, and then finalize the main star.

Mix a very small batch, possibly half or less of what you currently do. Also - just remember to keep in mind that more flavours = more steep.

Thanks @WHeunis

And that was a very well explained answer, thank you - and i now better understand why making complex juices is so difficult. "Dealing with the supporting cast and the main star" is such a brilliant way of putting it!

I am either going to have massive fun directing my cast of actors or I am going to take lots of strain as the costs of these actors tally up with each "take". Lol

What a fascinating thing. Feels like I am back at maths class trying to solve an equation with two unknowns and needing another equation ;-)

Thanks @free3dom for your earlier comments, they helped a lot
And also to all the other guys who have contributed to this thread. Always so helpful.

Another thing, I did NOT let this juice steep. I just shook the little bottle and vaped it
Was delicious.... So I assume if it were to steep, the flavours may get stronger or change. So it may not be as good. Who knows, it may be better.

I am not looking forward to the additional dimension of time - and steeping

I quite like the idea of mixing when Im filling my vape devices.

Perhaps a question for the more experienced mixologists. Lets say I add 10 drops of menthol to unflavoured and vape it straight away - and its perfect to my taste. If i let it steep for 2 weeks, does the menthol generally get stronger? Im thinking that steeping may save a bit of concentrate?

This is definitely an incredibly exciting area of vaping. My eyes are quite big and i am nervous of the amount of time this could consume... Lol...

lime is my adv and i just love citrus flavors. they are so refreshing and there are a few to pic from. lemon and lime for a nice sour vape ,tangerine for a sweeter vape and lemon meringue for a desert vape. i will try some of your lime menthol mix.

lime is my adv and i just love citrus flavors. they are so refreshing and there are a few to pic from. lemon and lime for a nice sour vape ,tangerine for a sweeter vape and lemon meringue for a desert vape. i will try some of your lime menthol mix.

Thanks @hands
I will try the lime and lemon. I need to get lemon concentrate
I will also try tangerine. I have VM's mandarin but not tangerine.
My wife wants me to make an orange.
Not a fan of desserts though.

Will report back when I get round to it

Thanks @free3dom for your earlier comments, they helped a lot
And also to all the other guys who have contributed to this thread. Always so helpful.

Another thing, I did NOT let this juice steep. I just shook the little bottle and vaped it
Was delicious.... So I assume if it were to steep, the flavours may get stronger or change. So it may not be as good. Who knows, it may be better.

I am not looking forward to the additional dimension of time - and steeping

I quite like the idea of mixing when Im filling my vape devices.

Perhaps a question for the more experienced mixologists. Lets say I add 10 drops of menthol to unflavoured and vape it straight away - and its perfect to my taste. If i let it steep for 2 weeks, does the menthol generally get stronger? Im thinking that steeping may save a bit of concentrate?

This is definitely an incredibly exciting area of vaping. My eyes are quite big and i am nervous of the amount of time this could consume... Lol...

Stronger? Naw.
More refined, is closer to the truth.
Steeping clears out that harshness of fresh-mixed liquids.
It allows the flavours to properly permeate through the liquid. Single flavours are easy, they are vapable within an hour or less, and steeping would make very little difference.
Multi-flavours gain the benefits of steeping. Flavours just become BETTER, as they are better and more evenly mixed throughout the mixture.
Best example right now for me, is my new experiment: Snickers Juice.
Unsteeped you can taste all the components. Chocolate, Caramel, and Nuts. BUT. It's almost like the flavours are FIGHTING each other on my palate. It feels very harsh and dry and almost offensive to a degree. With just 3 days steeping (once per day warm water bath), it tastes VERY VERY nice. Like an actual delicious juice! Just needs some more work/refinement before it tastes exactly like a Snickers bar...

I had to try this mix

Here is my recipe

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429039439.969527.jpg

I haven't Vaped it yet. Leaving it to stand tonight and will test tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stronger? Naw.
More refined, is closer to the truth.
Steeping clears out that harshness of fresh-mixed liquids.
It allows the flavours to properly permeate through the liquid. Single flavours are easy, they are vapable within an hour or less, and steeping would make very little difference.
Multi-flavours gain the benefits of steeping. Flavours just become BETTER, as they are better and more evenly mixed throughout the mixture.
Best example right now for me, is my new experiment: Snickers Juice.
Unsteeped you can taste all the components. Chocolate, Caramel, and Nuts. BUT. It's almost like the flavours are FIGHTING each other on my palate. It feels very harsh and dry and almost offensive to a degree. With just 3 days steeping (once per day warm water bath), it tastes VERY VERY nice. Like an actual delicious juice! Just needs some more work/refinement before it tastes exactly like a Snickers bar...

Thanks!
So well explained.
Maybe i just like the harshness of the Lime ice because it grips me when I vape it, so probably not an ideal candidate for the benefits of steeping. Ans its fairly simple.

Hoping you get your Snickers Bar right! That would be very tasty

I had to try this mix

Here is my recipe

View attachment 25184

I haven't Vaped it yet. Leaving it to stand tonight and will test tomorrow

Super @Riaz. See you added cotton candy. Higher VG as well
Am keen to hear what you think tomorrow!

Super @Riaz. See you added cotton candy. Higher VG as well
Am keen to hear what you think tomorrow!
Yip I mix 60/40 vg pg because I'm using 100mg pg nic and all the concentrates are pg based as well.

I have a new clean 3ml bottle to take with to work tomorrow to use for the new mix.

Just going to need to hide some where during the day to put fresh wick in the atomic as well

Yip I mix 60/40 vg pg because I'm using 100mg pg nic and all the concentrates are pg based as well.

I have a new clean 3ml bottle to take with to work tomorrow to use for the new mix.

Just going to need to hide some where during the day to put fresh wick in the atomic as well

Ok, cool
Just take some other juice too, in case you dont enjoy it. Lol

@Silver the benefits of steeping, like all other things in DIY, depends greatly on the particular flavours used, as well as (as @WHeunis mentioned) the amount of flavours used. Some flavours require a fair bit of steeping to really come into their own, while other get literally no benefit from steeping. I've tasted juice that were 100% right off the bat and did not improve with steeping, and a few others that taste almost bad (but not quite) and got really good with steeping :D

Steeping time also varies by flavour....some needing more and others less. With complex mixes I find that the best steeping time is generally the time needed for the flavour that takes the longest to "fully mature". But about a week or two generally helps these mixes even out - of course, some additives such as EM and/or smooth help with this as well, and they too need some time to do their magic :)

For me, if the juice is good right after mixing, I just vape it :)
Usually I then also make a small batch and leave it steeping so that I can test it after some time and see if it changes at all - this is what I would recommend you do, to get a sense of what happens with your particular mix ;)

Fruits and menthol seems to work immediately with a simple shake. Anything with a cream based mixture takes ages to taste right.

Also found that with a lot of mixtures that need steeping, if you want to Vape it immediately you have to increase the percentage of the concentrate.

It also depends on the wattages that you Vape at. As the wattages increase you have to either decrease nic content or flavour content or both. This is with both diy mixtures or commercial juices. Most commercial juices now overpower my taste buds at big wattages.

Howsit guys

So last night i managed to rewick the atomic to try out this mix.

Man oh man is it strong LOL well what did i expect it to be, it is menthol after all.

I found myself only being able to do mouth to lung hits (after switching to the smaller airholes) for the first couple of puffs.

Once i got sort of use to the thump, i opened up the airholes again and started lung hits.

The juice itself, its perfect for a warm sunny day. Very refreshing and cool to the chest.

Even though we having some lekker cold winter days in cape town, i still kept the juice in the mini and decided on vaping it today.

Thanks @Silver for sharing your recipe with us.

Its a winner in my books

(for those that saw the recipe i posted, you might want to lower the menthol percentage :) )

Here is my take on it, finished 20ml since Tuesday and loving it.

Lime.JPG

Glad you guys liked it
Thanks for the feedback @Riaz and @Q-Ball
My latest bottle is finished and i need to make another batch...
What a lovely juice.

@Silver I have been experimenting with the 60% menthol I got from Skyblue, and it works really well with pineapple too. For some reason I really love vaping pineapple, even though it is not my favorite fruit by far. On the 60% menthol I do about 8 drops per 10ml of pre-mixed juice.

Hi @Q-Ball What does "snip" in your Nic strength
I have been getting errors in my ejuice me up program after the last couple of updates, anyone els had this?

LoL, My nic strength was highlighted when I tried to open the snip tool in windows, so I typed it in the nic strength box instead of my search bar.

My nic strength was 36

Back