Married Batteries... Why ?

ShaneW

Juicy Joes Owner
ECIGSSA Donor
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
just wondering why there is such a hype around marrying your batteries in a 2 or more battery mod.
The way I see it is, if the batteries are not at the same voltage, the one with the higher potential difference will work slightly harder, until they equalise.

Can anyone give another reason why it is apparently so important ?

Edit --> Please read this thread to completion before making your decision on whether to Marry (recommended) or not - I'm referring to batteries here as marriage is always recommended to keep your partner happy in the long run :)

Last edited:
just wondering why there is such a hype around marrying your batteries in a 2 or more battery mod.
The way I see it is, if the batteries are not at the same voltage, the one with the higher potential difference will work slightly harder, until they equalise.

Based on what fact? Batts dont have any intelligence hence they do not know who is "stronger" . What happens is the one will drain beyond its safe limit before the other and you will damage that one. If they are at equal potential they drain at the same rate. Take that senario in a mod like the cricket...no electronics for safety...bad bad news.

Based on what fact? Batts dont have any intelligence hence they do not know who is "stronger" . What happens is the one will drain beyond its safe limit before the other and you will damage that one. If they are at equal potential they drain at the same rate. Take that senario in a mod like the cricket...no electronics for safety...bad bad news.

Are you referring to a series or parellel system?

Are you referring to a series or parellel system?
Doesnt matter. Look atvit this way imagine a fully charged bat in 100% condition as a 2 litre bottle filled with water. A bad old bat at a lower charge as a one litre. Connect them both to one tap i.e. the same load and open the tap. 1 Litre will be empty before the 2L. Series or parallel doesnt matter they both see the same load, your coil.

Ok what you saying makes sense in a series system, although the the difference would have to be severe to cause that much of a difference. In a parallel system however this is how I see it:
The load doesn't change so the battery with the higher voltage will therefore have a higher current draw until the point where the voltages are the same because of the excess draw on the higher potential cell. This will continue with the cell that has the higher voltage delivering more current...

Ok what you saying makes sense in a series system, although the the difference would have to be severe to cause that much of a difference. In a parallel system however this is how I see it:
The load doesn't change so the battery with the higher voltage will therefore have a higher current draw until the point where the voltages are the same because of the excess draw on the higher potential cell. This will continue with the cell that has the higher voltage delivering more current...
Ill post a pick later with some maths etc to show you.

Take into consideration internal resistance and age.
There is nothing wrong with batteries that are in the same condition to be used in pairs even if they are not married.

It's just easier to get new batteries of the same type as new as a pair.

Unless you have a logbook with all the mah you have put into a battery and how many times its not advisable to marry a pair that you have no history of.

You can do it but it's safer to match new batteries because they will have the sameish internal resistance and same life cycle.

Last thing you need is a battery that discharge at 2.5v vs another atty 3.2 v.

IF you have a log book of your batteries then I will be willing to marry different ages of batteries.
Chances are you don't and you probably don't have the equipment to test internal resistance and discharge the batteries.

Hi @ShaneW, I agree with @GerharddP's comments above - I suggest you watch

(from 1:11 time frame). BatteryMooch well known on ECF for his battery tests, knows what he is talking about. Round 1:30 he discuss "married" batteries.

Maybe I should commercialize my personal self made battery tester (I just hate dealing with the end user and that keeps me away from doing it) - by using a proper battery tester, everybody would soon realize how important battery management is. "Marrying" batteries; irrespective of series and/or parallel use, is extremely important from a safety- as well as longevity point of view for any battery.

PS. I know you meant well, but please never call me "sir" - that is derogatory terminology, reserved for Brits descended from so called aristocracy.

Interesting thread @ShaneW

I see you are challenging the institution of marriage - which many of us take for granted ;-)

Am interested to see how the discussion unfolds

PS - my married batts are still happily married

image.jpg

I came, I saw, I learnt. Thank you to all that commented. I've got two sets of married batteries for my RX200.
When I got it. The EC group made sure of it. Being the ADHD prime minister, I didn't ask why, just did as was told.

Hi @ShaneW, I agree with @GerharddP's comments above - I suggest you watch

(from 1:11 time frame). BatteryMooch well known on ECF for his battery tests, knows what he is talking about. Round 1:30 he discuss "married" batteries.

Maybe I should commercialize my personal self made battery tester (I just hate dealing with the end user and that keeps me away from doing it) - by using a proper battery tester, everybody would soon realize how important battery management is. "Marrying" batteries; irrespective of series and/or parallel use, is extremely important from a safety- as well as longevity point of view for any battery.

PS. I know you meant well, but please never call me "sir" - that is derogatory terminology, reserved for Brits descended from so called aristocracy.

Hahahaha apologies, perhaps Meneer is a more appealing term... I only use as a sign of respect.

Why would you say it's a safety concern, what do you think could happen?

Thanks for Video and he only affirms what I am trying to get at (1hr33m)... Married batteries is not the bee all and end all and unless the 2 batteries are vastly different or you running them down to discharge hell, I really don't see the issue.

What we do have to remember though is that these batteries are being used by people that don't fully understand what they are doing with the electrical circuits they are creating, and perhaps don't know the state of a battery or its charge level. For this reason I agree that's it's safer to tell them to marry the batteries.

Hahahaha apologies, perhaps Meneer is a more appealing term... I only use as a sign of respect.

Why would you say it's a safety concern, what do you think could happen?

Thanks for Video and he only affirms what I am trying to get at (1hr33m)... Married batteries is not the bee all and end all and unless the 2 batteries are vastly different or you running them down to discharge hell, I really don't see the issue.

What we do have to remember though is that these batteries are being used by people that don't fully understand what they are doing with the electrical circuits they are creating, and perhaps don't know the state of a battery or its charge level. For this reason I agree that's it's safer to tell them to marry the batteries.
A vent and or catastrophic thermal runaway could happen. Nothing serious. Its not the alpha/omega of all no but it does prevent "freak" accidents by just getting bats from the same batch/supplier at the same time.

A vent and or catastrophic thermal runaway could happen. Nothing serious. Its not the alpha/omega of all no but it does prevent "freak" accidents by just getting bats from the same batch/supplier at the same time.

Why would it start either of those? In your example of the 2 bottles of water, you said the bad old battery will deplete quicker... do you think this could cause thermal runaway or venting? I was under the impression that it is caused from heat and over-driving past its limit.

Hey I am fully in support of using batteries from the same batch/supplier but its the 'Marrying' that I am contesting here... people have made such a big thing about it, to the point where if there is even 1 charge cycle difference, they toss the 'marriage' and go out and buy a new set o_O

Lol, i noticed my married sets of batts started flirting with other bachelor batteries in my battery box this morning...

Lol, i noticed my married sets of batts started flirting with other bachelor batteries in my battery box this morning...

Be careful of that, the wife battery is bound to start venting soon ;)

LMAO. Remember to tell them to use protection. They are full of chemicals and can't think straight

Sent from my Note 4

Why would it start either of those? In your example of the 2 bottles of water, you said the bad old battery will deplete quicker... do you think this could cause thermal runaway or venting? I was under the impression that it is caused from heat and over-driving past its limit.
Look without going into too much detail here is a lowdown. Batteries have internal resistances. these change with voltage levels. If you battery goes below its safe drain limit it means it has to work harder to overcome its own resistance. Thus heat is generated. Heat increases that resistance and the cycle continues until enough heat is built up for venting :-@. http://batteryuniversity.com/ very good read. In fact I would suggest it

Back