More News

When I was young I could not understand why older guys had no fear of death.

But now as more and more beacons of light that guided my own journey fade into the mists of time,

and the mediocrity of what is deemed "great" by today's standards darkens their footsteps,

I too am starting to consider the end to be an answer rather than a threat.

Regards

According to this article, it's only the card, not the driver's licence per se, which has expired. This is quite an old article and I don't know if it's still like that.

DRIVING WITH J9 | Remember, your driving licence never expires: what else you should know
https://www.news24.com/wheels/opini...er-expires-what-else-you-should-know-20210820
20 Aug. 2021

• Just because your driving licence card is expired, does not mean your licence is expired.
• The government's threats of heavy fines for expired driving licence is fear-mongering and not helpful.

"... Wheels24 reader Lloyd Castle wrote to us last year. He had this to say: "Amid the fanfare around the renewal of driving licences, my concern is that the motoring public feels pressured to stand in queues for hours on end during a pandemic fearing the legal consequences of not renewing their driving licence cards, when in fact, there are NO legal consequences attached to the failure to renew a driving licence card at all.

"The driving licence is valid from issue until suspended or cancelled by a legal process as a result of medical or behavioural unfitness to hold it. IT DOES NOT EXPIRE!

It's also important to note that your insurance is issued to you based on the fact that the driver is licenced to drive..."

It's also important to note that your insurance is issued to you based on the fact that the driver is licenced to drive..."
This article refers: https://businesstech.co.za/news/mot...guidance provided,or licence disc has expired.
In specific, this section:
“Insurers follow the guidance provided by the Ombudsman for Short-term Insurance (OSTI) who has from as far back as May 2007 ruled that insurers should not refuse to entertain the claim if the driver’s licence or licence disc has expired.

But still, a judgement call can be made by the insurers:
“Therefore, as each individual claim is judged according to its own merits, in some cases, after examining the particulars of a claim, an insurer may determine that not having a valid licence was material and therefore directly relevant to the claim. In such a case, a claim might be denied.

South Africans with solar panels could pay 1,000% more for electricity than big power users

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/ener...ore-for-electricity-than-big-power-users.html

According to Rapport, solar users still connected to Eskom’s grid could end up paying between 5 and 10 times more for electricity than the large power users.

Eskom claims that users with solar power systems force the utility to ramp up generation at a faster rate in preparation for peak demand in the evening because they could not rely on sunlight for their full energy needs during that time.

This article refers: https://businesstech.co.za/news/motoring/516238/what-you-should-know-about-expired-driving-licences-and-insurance-claims-in-south-africa/#:~:text=“Insurers follow the guidance provided,or licence disc has expired.
In specific, this section:
“Insurers follow the guidance provided by the Ombudsman for Short-term Insurance (OSTI) who has from as far back as May 2007 ruled that insurers should not refuse to entertain the claim if the driver’s licence or licence disc has expired.

But still, a judgement call can be made by the insurers:
“Therefore, as each individual claim is judged according to its own merits, in some cases, after examining the particulars of a claim, an insurer may determine that not having a valid licence was material and therefore directly relevant to the claim. In such a case, a claim might be denied.[/QUOTE]
There's always that little thing in the fine prints of your contract... Can't win with these guys:cool:

South Africans with solar panels could pay 1,000% more for electricity than big power users

According to Rapport, solar users still connected to Eskom’s grid could end up paying between 5 and 10 times more for electricity than the large power users.

Eskom claims that users with solar power systems force the utility to ramp up generation at a faster rate in preparation for peak demand in the evening because they could not rely on sunlight for their full energy needs during that time.

We live in a society...

upload_2022-1-24_15-49-30.png

My thoughts exactly, just I used a whole range of much more colourful words! Have these f***** wa****rs no clue that solar is used to charge batteries for use at ***** night!?

Ok, ok, I'm calming down now.... 10, 9, 8, ....

Regards
Don't get me started :mad: ... These munchkins do understand that, however; They're caught between a rock and a hard place ... They need to increase their tax revenues on an ever diminishing base, whilst projecting a "fair an impartial" :rolleyes: (sic) viewpoint ... and arrogantly believe that they are cleverer than us non govern-ment(al) members, and can hoodwink us with their crud ... {saunters off to have a drink at 6.30AM :eek: after that rant}

Flying car wins airworthiness certification
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60072194
I don’t know… I’m obviously thrilled by the technological advancement this achievement represents but I can’t help but ask myself If we are really ready for this? Maybe coupled with a good AI/self driving technology otherwise I can’t even begin to imagine the mess….

Flying car wins airworthiness certification
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60072194
"The AirCar takes off and lands like a conventional plane and requires a pilot's license to fly."
This is just one of the issues. So the main issue here is that you need to then basically drive to an airport, take off from there and fly to another airport and then drive to work or wherever. Now I know there are a myriad of small landing strips across SA, but not one close to my home or work. So, as someone else commented in the article, a very niche concept.

Another concept which may prove more interesting though is the one where they say "But a number of companies are working on unpiloted air-taxi services with autonomous flight and vertical landing and take-off." The vertical landing and take-off specifically. This means you could, in essence, take-off at home and land at your local mall or such. But then again, how the hell do you regulate the air space? Imagine this being a possibility on days like Black Friday.

I don’t know… I’m obviously thrilled by the technological advancement this achievement represents but I can’t help but ask myself If we are really ready for this? Maybe coupled with a good AI/self driving technology otherwise I can’t even begin to imagine the mess….

Agreed ... I have a vision of our current taxi drivers manning these ... I'll be walking :eek:

"The AirCar takes off and lands like a conventional plane and requires a pilot's license to fly."
This is just one of the issues. So the main issue here is that you need to then basically drive to an airport, take off from there and fly to another airport and then drive to work or wherever. Now I know there are a myriad of small landing strips across SA, but not one close to my home or work. So, as someone else commented in the article, a very niche concept.

Another concept which may prove more interesting though is the one where they say "But a number of companies are working on unpiloted air-taxi services with autonomous flight and vertical landing and take-off." The vertical landing and take-off specifically. This means you could, in essence, take-off at home and land at your local mall or such. But then again, how the hell do you regulate the air space? Imagine this being a possibility on days like Black Friday.

There are some prototype vertical take off car / planes in the offing, (electric and petrol), but what makes this so amazing is that it's been licenced for use now! ... and that unto itself is a worry ... picture current SA drivers in the sky :eek:

Back