My journey into temperature control

@Mario the flavour does seem cleaner off of nickel. Though... I wonder how much that has to do with the nickel and how much it has to do with the temperature limiting? Actually pretty keen to get a device that can do titanium coils too.

@free3dom no harm, no foul man ;) It's all about getting the best vape possible.

Barring anything earth-shatteringly bad being said about it. I think my next mod will be a eVic VT, seems like the most cost effective route.

VaporTekUSA has a pre order for eVic VT kits for $72.99

It's got
eVic VT
Silicone Skin
Charger
eGo One Mega (4ml)
Nickel and Titanium heads

And here are the specs for the eVic VT

Size: 47 *25.5 *85.6mm
Battery capacity: 5000mAh
Output mode: VT-Ti/VT-Ni/VW mode
Output wattage: 1-60W
Resistance range: 0.05 - 1.0ohm for VT mode
0.15 - 3.5ohm for VW mode

Temperature range: 100 - 315℃ / 200 - 600℉

Here's a link http://www.vaportekusa.com/joyetech-evic-vt-vw-full-kit-5000mah/

Last edited:
@Mario the flavour does seem cleaner off of nickel. Though... I wonder how much that has to do with the nickel and how much it has to do with the temperature limiting? Actually pretty keen to get a device that can do titanium coils too.

@free3dom no harm, no foul man ;) It's all about getting the best vape possible.

I do believe that it has a lot to do with the way that power is applied - I'm sure you've experienced how different flavours taste different at various power levels, and what seems to be happening when the temp control kicks in and adjusts the power levels down is that you get the lower and the higher power "flavour performance" in a single draw. That's my theory anyways :)

Also looking forward to vaping on a titanium coil - even if it's only to say I'm vaping on a titanium coil :cool:

Barring anything earth-shatteringly bad being said about it. I think my next mod will be a eVic VT, seems like the most cost effective route.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this device performs with temp control - I do hope it turns out great. Regardless, anything with that much battery power is getting my vote already :)

And then there's still the VIR to look forward to :rock:

I do believe that it has a lot to do with the way that power is applied - I'm sure you've experienced how different flavours taste different at various power levels, and what seems to be happening when the temp control kicks in and adjusts the power levels down is that you get the lower and the higher power "flavour performance" in a single draw. That's my theory anyways :)

Also looking forward to vaping on a titanium coil - even if it's only to say I'm vaping on a titanium coil :cool:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this device performs with temp control - I do hope it turns out great. Regardless, anything with that much battery power is getting my vote already :)

And then there's still the VIR to look forward to :rock:

VIR looks cool, but kinda pricey for me.

*Edit* on second look, something seems screwy with that VIR 0.45 - 2.2 ohm range? That can't possibly be with nickel, maybe its with titanium. Also it only pushes 35W maximum.

I think it has got something to do with how the powers applied. But there is also something else going on I think.

Last edited:
Just watching a video about twisting kanthal and nickel together... to early to tell if the guys talking out his ass...

Perhaps easiest way is to use a nickel build on a non temp controlled device and compare it's to as close as possible build using kanthal.

The problem is getting 2 identical builds would be based either on resistance or number of wraps as those 2 aren't identical.

*the vape on a nickel build on a non temp mod is crisper, subtle notes are a lot more defined and it's definitely a flavor "enhancer" of sorts. Clouds seems a bit thinner but it was at a low wattage (35w)

:p eish wrapping a 0.20ohm coil, would be pretty hectic

Perhaps easiest way is to use a nickel build on a non temp controlled device and compare it's to as close as possible build using kanthal.

The problem is getting 2 identical builds would be based either on resistance or number of wraps as those 2 aren't identical.

*the vape on a nickel build on a non temp mod is crisper, subtle notes are a lot more defined and it's definitely a flavor "enhancer" of sorts. Clouds seems a bit thinner but it was at a low wattage (35w)

Very interesting @PrenessaM
So I wonder how much of the difference on temp control mods comes from the temp control versus the nickel

Turned out to be 13 wraps :p

IMG_6614.JPG

Not the greatest pic. The wire that looks kinda flakey, is the kanthal.

No singe marks anywhere in the barrel... I think maybe one of the legs got super hot? I dunno, its an ugly build I'm going to pull it out.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm seeing Temperature Control being more a thing for tanks and inaccessible RDA's (Like the Freakshow Mini).

For bigger 3 piece drippers, you can taste just before you're going to get a dry hit, so you can avoid actually getting one.

Building with Titanium will probably change my mind though, resistance is more like Kanthal, so you can use less wraps of thicker wire.

On a side note, with my little "New Coil" trick, the Subtank Mini with the Nickel OCC coil, is giving me insanely great flavour. got it at 25W with a temp limit of 380F

Ok, just rebuilt the Freakshow Mini again. With plain 28G nickel. I've discovered why most people build spaced coils. With compressed coils, you need to wick the legs, and your wicking must be 100%, any issues and you'll get hotspots that somehow evade the mods ability to detect them.

Great pictures, that looks pretty sweet...a pity it didn't work out that well :(

It does seem that spaced coils are the standard for nickel, and it's good to have a rough idea why :)

Very interesting @PrenessaM
So I wonder how much of the difference on temp control mods comes from the temp control versus the nickel

The nickel tends to give a much cleaner Flavour . There are notes in juices that I never got using kanthal especially at sub ohm resistance.

So I did a build on the derringer on the reo and got exceptional Flavour. Also found that the Vape wasn't as hot as kanthal which is a huge plus for the derringer with the drip tip being so short .

Right! Next update.
I had a 0.11 ohm build in my Subtank mini, with a tiny 1.5mm ID. It worked for a week with no real issue. But I've learnt some things.

With this flask clone, its minimum resistance is 0.10 ohms for a temp build, if you build too close to that, it'll behave strangely, I actually got burnt hits a couple of times. Not badly burnt, but definitely burnt.

I've done a new build in it, the old one was gunky and the wick was slightly burnt.

I used a 3.2mm ID and did 8 or 9 wraps. it worked out to 0.18 ohms.

I'm vaping max VG juice in my Subtank Mini with an inept amount of cotton (way too much, I was lazy), and its vaping beautifully. Just chain vaped like 20-25 hits, each one was perfect. Running it at 24W with a temp limit of 400F.

This temp control stuff is awesome!

On a side note, with the flavour thing. I listened to a radio show where Dr. Fassalinos was talking about how bad it is to pulse coils. So I did a spaced build on my mutation with kanthal, without any pulsing. The flavour is now damned close to the nickel wire.

On a side note, with the flavour thing. I listened to a radio show where Dr. Fassalinos was talking about how bad it is to pulse coils. So I did a spaced build on my mutation with kanthal, without any pulsing. The flavour is now damned close to the nickel wire.
Quite the debate on ECF about that. Bottom line, you HAVE to fire Kanthal for the protective layer. Seems Dr F is venturing into territory not within his expertise.

Quite the debate on ECF about that. Bottom line, you HAVE to fire Kanthal for the protective layer. Seems Dr F is venturing into territory not within his expertise.

Hmmm, I dunno what he said seemed pretty logical. I've been using an un-pre-fired coil for a week now, so far with no ill effects.

I used to subscribe to the protective oxidation layer theory too. But what he said just seemed more logical.

Heating the wire up to the point of it glowing, changes the structure of it. Who's to say that the oxidation layer doesn't in some way infiltrate the vapor?

Bottom line, I think we need testing on wire, so that we know for certain one way or the other.

This is interesting @Andre - i havent checked it out on ECF or listened to Dr Fasalinos but @devdev briefly told me about it this weekend

So is it that the pulsing leaves toxins on the wire, which you then may inhale later after wicking? Or is it that the toxins are just released into the air while pulsing?

Back