My Smoke Alarms Are Driving Me Mad

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
So many times when vaping my smoke alarms go off, unless testing higher wattage atty's i only DL no higher than 35W or MTL, sometimes i can see no vapor in the room but still if the living room door leading to the hallway or door leading to the kitchen is left open even if only open slightly it's not long before the deafening noise!

Anyone else suffer the same problem?

In all my years in SA, I've only ever seen one home with a smoke alarm, and the only reason the lady had a smoke alarm was because she refused to replace her broken toaster that didn't always deactivate.

In all my years in SA, I've only ever seen one home with a smoke alarm, and the only reason the lady had a smoke alarm was because she refused to replace her broken toaster that didn't always deactivate.
So different, in the UK local authority housing have to have them by law and although it's not law in private accommodation, most would need them to get insurance.
Let's just say you lived in private accommodation and didn't care about insurance so didn't bother with smoke alarms and a fire started in your home that spread to others. If it was seen that you having smoke alarms could of prevented the spread of the fire because of the early warning you would seriously be in the crap to the point where if it caused deaths you would be facing manslaughter chargers.

So different, in the UK local authority housing have to have them by law and although it's not law in private accommodation, most would need them to get insurance.
Let's just say you lived in private accommodation and didn't care about insurance so didn't bother with smoke alarms and a fire started in your home that spread to others. If it was seen that you having smoke alarms could of prevented the spread of the fire because of the early warning you would seriously be in the crap to the point where if it caused deaths you would be facing manslaughter chargers.

Interesting @Timwis ,I’ve never seen one in a private house, even though a lot have fireplaces and braai areas attached to houses, sometimes even with thatch roofs, and more people are using them in winter time. In our area we have had a couple of houses gutted in the last 2 years due to fires, maybe we need to educate ourselves better regarding the benefits of actually having it. Some families lost everything with no way of replacing it.

As for your problem, earplugs? :) It’s obviously a good one and a newer model as the older ones did not pick it up, or is it the other way around now, can’t remember. I also think I saw somewhere that you can find ones that will not sound if it’s vapour, only smoke, not sure how they operate though. Hope you get it sorted out. I’ll have to do some research on this if I decide to go that route, don’t want to get something you end up switching off as it’s a pain because you vape.

I house-sat for someone who had smoke alarms in her house, but other than that I've never seen them in SA. It might be a good idea to install them though. Perhaps just in the vape room, where I charge my batteries overnight.

@Timwis Isn't it possible to deactivate it, temporarily? Just as one could deactivate a security alarm. Now those everyone has in SA lol!

@Timwis Isn't it possible to deactivate it, temporarily? Just as one could deactivate a security alarm. Now those everyone has in SA lol!
I deactivated my last two, the problem is they are sealed units these days because people use to just take the batteries out, my last two got deactivated with a cricket bat but it got me into a lot of trouble!!

I deactivated my last two, the problem is they are sealed units these days because people use to just take the batteries out, my last two got deactivated with a cricket bat but it got me into a lot of trouble!!

It's actually interesting. Vaping was obviously not a consideration when the alarms were designed. Gosh, it would drive me up the wall if an alarm went off every time I vaped. It would drive my neighbours up the wall too, because I chain-vape!

Back