My tips to stop smoking with vaping

Haha it really is so difficult and i do battle. But i know it's for the best. And if i didn't have the vape i probably wouldn't be able to to quit cold turkey. I actually loved smoking and didn't want to quit but it had to be done .

I fought exactly the same battle. Had to fold & get a vape because of 'peer pressure'. [ Read the wife said she would kill me if I don't ;) ]
Now she complains about my vaping...

H
I fought exactly the same battle. Had to fold & get a vape because of 'peer pressure'. [ Read the wife said she would kill me if I don't ;) ]
Now she complains about my vaping...
Haha well it's better than smoking . still a addiction i suppose but its a fun addiction hahaha:rofl::-D

Great achievement @Lalla
Congrats and keep it up!
A few cigarettes over 5 days is so much less than a pack a day - your lungs are probably thanking you big time.

I think quitting smoking is probably one of the biggest improvements a smoker can do for their overall longer-term health.

Wishing you all the best from here

PS - you are very lucky to have a champion like @Stosta to help and assist!

Great achievement @Lalla
Congrats and keep it up!
A few cigarettes over 5 days is so much less than a pack a day - your lungs are probably thanking you big time.

I think quitting smoking is probably one of the biggest improvements a smoker can do for their overall longer-term health.

Wishing you all the best from here

PS - you are very lucky to have a champion like @Stosta to help and assist!
Thanks @Silver much appreciated . Yeah I am super proud of myself . Super lucky that @Stosta is giving me advice and tips.

Agree with most things in the op. Especially no 1.

But I have to disagree on the tabacco flavours. It keeps on reminding me of what a real cig is like and then I want one. Rather get something sweet or fruity. Like your guilty snack you would sneak from the work vending machine or your favourite Sunday afternoon dessert flavour. That way if you need a nic fix you would rather go for the treat than the stinky stick.

Just what I realised in my first few days. The lady that sold me my kit gave me a virginia tabacco. Said it would make the transition easier. Maybe it just tastes horrible but that R300 bottle is lying in my cupboard. Going to steep for long time. I much more prefer the Opus Sonic.

Agree with most things in the op. Especially no 1.

But I have to disagree on the tabacco flavours. It keeps on reminding me of what a real cig is like and then I want one. Rather get something sweet or fruity. Like your guilty snack you would sneak from the work vending machine or your favourite Sunday afternoon dessert flavour. That way if you need a nic fix you would rather go for the treat than the stinky stick.

Just what I realised in my first few days. The lady that sold me my kit gave me a virginia tabacco. Said it would make the transition easier. Maybe it just tastes horrible but that R300 bottle is lying in my cupboard. Going to steep for long time. I much more prefer the Opus Sonic.

This is interesting @Adephi

Some people try go far away from tobacco when they start vaping - and I can understand that. When I started on Twisp in Oct 2013, I didn't like their tobacco flavoured juice and far preferred the Rebel and Polar Mint. I felt a lot like you do with your tobacco experience you describe above.

But then I found some great tasting tobaccoes later in my vaping journey and I love them. Typically naturally extracted tobaccoes (NET) - some are quite rough and dry - while others are tobacco blends where the tobacco is blended with something else. I always have a good strong tobacco loaded in one of my vaping devices. Have done so for a long time now.

Some shy away from tobaccoes while others find they make it easier to transition to vaping. Each to their own. My advice is to try them and see if you like them - but remember you get good ones and not so good ones.

I couldn't face tobaccos when I started vaping, then I started liking them, now I'm completely off them again. Dessert tobaccos like RY4 and Soho are fine but actual tobaccos are no bueno for me.

I just calculated my expenditure on vaping this year and it comes out to R400 a month average. When I quit smoking in Jan 2016, I was spending around R650pm on cigarettes, which would probably have gone up to R700 now with inflation. My 2017 expenditure includes several hardware purchases that I didn't need but decided to buy anyway, along with flavour purchases I also wanted rather than needed. I have cotton and wire to last me to end 2018, and enough nic, VG and PG to last me well into the new year. I don't actually need to buy flavours for a year at least. So I could, if I wanted to, not spend another cent on vaping till around Feb or Mar next year.

R200 a month is eminently doable once you DIY your coils and juice. It take a bit of expenditure up front to get there. But smokers should not allow the cost of vaping to deter them.

Hi All

I really think this thread could be of great help to new vapers/smoker wanting to convert.

The tips/suggestions below is from my own experience and research from when I stopped smoking. Please feel free to add more suggestions.

1. What works for you, works for you.

There are no set rules. No need to chase the next best thing. Whatever works for you, works for you. Don’t let people tell you that the way you vape, the device, the e-liquid is wrong if it’s working for you. No need to get the next best thing. Trust me, I’m trying and losing this battle. It can be fun though :)

2. Try to simulate smoking as close as possible.

2a. Stick to your smoking habit. What I mean is. When you smoke when drinking coffee at 9am, stick to that but vape instead of smoking. If you lit up a smoke when getting into your car, vape instead.

2b. Try to simulate the same draw as smoking, tighten the airflow if required

2c. Look into getting some tobacco e-liquids. E-liquids will never taste exactly like smoking, but try to get as close to it as you can.

2d. Get your nicotine strength right. When I started vaping, I wanted a nice sharp throat hit. So was vaping 12mg nicotine strength. If you feel yourself craving nicotine when vaping, try to up your nicotine strength. You will naturally migrate to lower nicotine strength, most do.

3. Vape first!

If you feel you want to smoke. First try vaping for about 5 – 10 mins then ask yourself if you really still crave a cigarette

4. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

If you slip up and have a cigarette, it’s not the end of the world. Don’t beat yourself up to badly

5. Dual use?

Lots of people recommend dual use. For me personally, it would have never worked. I suggest not smoking or smoke as little as possible!

6. Expect withdrawal

Your body craves more from cigarettes than nicotine. You may feel you still crave cigarettes even though you get enough nicotine. Reason for this is that your body is used to getting all the other chemicals (tar, carbon monoxide, etc.) which it have been receiving while you smoke. You may even get withdrawal symptoms because your body (and mind) is craving these chemicals. Give it time. Your body needs to get rid of these chemicals!

7. The Idea of smoking

I was craving cigarettes the first 2 weeks I was vaping. After 2 weeks, I grabbed a cigarette and a coffee and went to my smoking spot to enjoy a nice smoke. After 3 drags I threw the cigarette away and reached for my vaping device. I never had those bad cravings for cigarettes again. What I’m trying to say here is the idea of smoking is as addictive as the nicotine!

8. Don’t run out

Make sure your batteries are charged and you have enough e-liquid. Running out of power or e-liquid is always a reason to light a cigarette. Make sure you don’t run out.

9. Optional: Get a backup device.

A device can fall, stop working, get lost, get stolen. Not a bad idea to have a backup ready.

10. Most important. It’s a mindset

You have to want to stop smoking! You are not a smoker anymore! For some, using vaping to stop smoking is easy, others not so. It’s all about the mindset. Find a reason and hold on to it. For me it was the fact that my wife was pregnant and I didn’t want my son to grow up with a dad that smoked. Also I was not allowed to smoke in the house anymore so was looking for a replacement. :)

11. Have fun!!

This really is something to enjoy. I’m not going to say more. You will see :)

Lastly: I fully believe everyone can stop smoking with vaping. If you are struggling, you might not have the right device, e-liquid, nicotine strength, power level, mindset, coil, etc. Play around and go to vape meets. You will find something that works. I’m certain of it.
Good outline, respect

think I should consider myself lucky that I have never touched a cigarette after trying vaping. (probably hadn't had that much of an addiction). But these tips are very thoughtful and informative.

Back