My tips to stop smoking with vaping

Vapers Corner

www.vaperscorner.co.za
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
Hi All

I really think this thread could be of great help to new vapers/smoker wanting to convert.

The tips/suggestions below is from my own experience and research from when I stopped smoking. Please feel free to add more suggestions.

1. What works for you, works for you.

There are no set rules. No need to chase the next best thing. Whatever works for you, works for you. Don’t let people tell you that the way you vape, the device, the e-liquid is wrong if it’s working for you. No need to get the next best thing. Trust me, I’m trying and losing this battle. It can be fun though :)

2. Try to simulate smoking as close as possible.

2a. Stick to your smoking habit. What I mean is. When you smoke when drinking coffee at 9am, stick to that but vape instead of smoking. If you lit up a smoke when getting into your car, vape instead.

2b. Try to simulate the same draw as smoking, tighten the airflow if required

2c. Look into getting some tobacco e-liquids. E-liquids will never taste exactly like smoking, but try to get as close to it as you can.

2d. Get your nicotine strength right. When I started vaping, I wanted a nice sharp throat hit. So was vaping 12mg nicotine strength. If you feel yourself craving nicotine when vaping, try to up your nicotine strength. You will naturally migrate to lower nicotine strength, most do.

3. Vape first!

If you feel you want to smoke. First try vaping for about 5 – 10 mins then ask yourself if you really still crave a cigarette

4. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

If you slip up and have a cigarette, it’s not the end of the world. Don’t beat yourself up to badly

5. Dual use?

Lots of people recommend dual use. For me personally, it would have never worked. I suggest not smoking or smoke as little as possible!

6. Expect withdrawal

Your body craves more from cigarettes than nicotine. You may feel you still crave cigarettes even though you get enough nicotine. Reason for this is that your body is used to getting all the other chemicals (tar, carbon monoxide, etc.) which it have been receiving while you smoke. You may even get withdrawal symptoms because your body (and mind) is craving these chemicals. Give it time. Your body needs to get rid of these chemicals!

7. The Idea of smoking

I was craving cigarettes the first 2 weeks I was vaping. After 2 weeks, I grabbed a cigarette and a coffee and went to my smoking spot to enjoy a nice smoke. After 3 drags I threw the cigarette away and reached for my vaping device. I never had those bad cravings for cigarettes again. What I’m trying to say here is the idea of smoking is as addictive as the nicotine!

8. Don’t run out

Make sure your batteries are charged and you have enough e-liquid. Running out of power or e-liquid is always a reason to light a cigarette. Make sure you don’t run out.

9. Optional: Get a backup device.

A device can fall, stop working, get lost, get stolen. Not a bad idea to have a backup ready.

10. Most important. It’s a mindset

You have to want to stop smoking! You are not a smoker anymore! For some, using vaping to stop smoking is easy, others not so. It’s all about the mindset. Find a reason and hold on to it. For me it was the fact that my wife was pregnant and I didn’t want my son to grow up with a dad that smoked. Also I was not allowed to smoke in the house anymore so was looking for a replacement. :)

11. Have fun!!

This really is something to enjoy. I’m not going to say more. You will see :)

Lastly: I fully believe everyone can stop smoking with vaping. If you are struggling, you might not have the right device, e-liquid, nicotine strength, power level, mindset, coil, etc. Play around and go to vape meets. You will find something that works. I’m certain of it.

Last edited:
Awesome post! Agree with you 99%!

Number four - You'll end up hating it if you associate it with keeping you from your cigs! Chances are you'll slip up, what's important is getting back on!

Number Five - Dual use, I did this for two weeks, before I got to Number Ten, it's a mindset. I woke up one morning and told myself FFS, I'm DONE with smoking. It was easy peasy from there.

Really cool work @Vapers Corner !

Thanx for you motivating write-up @Vapers Corner . Unfortunately I'm one of those guys who are sukkeling to quit the stinkies.... I am trying really hard though and I realized that I vape a lot at work but when I'm at home I tend to leave the mod and go for a cigarette.. I'm now really trying to focus when I get a craving to rather reach for the mod. I'm not giving up, HELL NO!!!

I agree with everything you said, thanks for the great post.

Point no 10. Was the key motivating factor for me.

I agree 100% I have been off the stinkies and for a good few months and when I still had the twisp and it broke I went back to stinkies but couldn't stand the taste. Even now if I light one for someone I hate the taste and smell of it. My wife still smokes stinkies she just cannot stand the sweetness of all the vapes if I could just find something she likes.... any recommendations? I must say tried the 0 nic and was wanting more throat hit tried higher pg juices and still nothing. Curren6vaping 12mg nic and it's too strong especially the first few pulls. After that it's fine I think 6mg will be fine for me. I vaped strawb at 3mg and didnt provide much throat hit. Maybe I need to try some menthol vapes to see if that will satisfy me at lower nic contents...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree 100% I have been off the stinkies and for a good few months and when I still had the twisp and it broke I went back to stinkies but couldn't stand the taste. Even now if I light one for someone I hate the taste and smell of it. My wife still smokes stinkies she just cannot stand the sweetness of all the vapes if I could just find something she likes.... any recommendations? I must say tried the 0 nic and was wanting more throat hit tried higher pg juices and still nothing. Curren6vaping 12mg nic and it's too strong especially the first few pulls. After that it's fine I think 6mg will be fine for me. I vaped strawb at 3mg and didnt provide much throat hit. Maybe I need to try some menthol vapes to see if that will satisfy me at lower nic contents...

Hi @kyle_redbull , I do find the menthol helps a bit with the throat hit
Also the 50/50 juices. The VG heavy juices are soothing for me, not throat hitting.
In addition, the type of flavour can also play a role.

@Silver I need to try some menthol vapes to see if I'll enjoy them was thinking to make some tropical ice or similar

@Silver I need to try some menthol vapes to see if I'll enjoy them was thinking to make some tropical ice or similar

What you can do is get some menthol concentrate and just add a few drops to other juices - vary the drops to suit your taste. You can just add drops to a tankful and shake a bit. Has worked very well for me. Goes well with tobaccoes and fruits for my palate.

Awesome I will try that need to go get more concentrates but this time gonna pick ones that are already tried and tested mainly 2 or 3 flavour mixes and will add some menthol too. Thanks for the advise

Great post man. Great points raised, only thing I would add is to join the Ecigssa forum, and get encouragement and help from excellent members we have. Worked for me.

Great post @Vapers Corner !

Don't be too hard on yourself for dual use. It can be a tough habit to crack. For most it's been part of their routine for as long as they can remember, so give it time.

The correct dosage of nic is an important player. Rather start higher, at 12mg or even 18mg with a decent MTL device that simulates smoking, and vape less to get a satisfying fix. You don't need to break the bank with the latest and greatest high powered mod and a juice-guzzling tank that can challenge any Steam Engine. You only need a decent starter kit that closely mimics your way of smoking and effectively delivers nicotine. You may also need a thick skin and a stern voice to tell the know-it-all's what they can go do to themselves, but at least there's no cost involved in that.

After everything else, the mindset about stopping is the key factor.

I previously stopped smoking using Zyban, and even while the stinkies tasted quite 'tinny' and crap after about a month of use, I still consciously had to make the decision and say "I must stop. This is the last 2 smokes I've got, and when they are done, that's it. I'm not dashing out to the QuickShop tonight to buy another pack. I'm not stopping at one on the way to work in the morning, either."
I quit, and smoking did not bug me for almost 5 years after that. That is, until I got clever and started smoking socially again regularly. Big mistake, as after starting full time again three or four months later, I did not want to quit again. I was back on my pack a day habit like I never even took a break. Needless to say, HRH and my kids were not impressed. I smoked for another 5 years before I changed to vaping.

With vaping it should be so much easier, because you still get your fix from your vape. You just have to trust in the mechanics of vaping, which you should have gotten used to at that point. I dual-used for about 3 months, consciously and unconsciously weaning myself from the 20 a day, to where a pack would last me a week or longer. I still had to put my foot down and realize that the 'luxury' odd stinkie at night, or in traffic on the way to work or back home was all that was keeping me hooked to the habit.

It's effortless for some, but most of us have to get to the point where you challenge yourself first. It's only when you accept that challenge that you can start moving on.

Well, I always say. I was a 50 a day smoker. Watched grandparents and uncle die from smoking and mom in remission. Still I smoked. I always kept saying. Last box. Last box.
Then my daughter said to me that I was killing her and mommy with smoke and that was bad Daddy.
That jolt was all I needed. Yes there is the sudden craving but lasts a minute.
Day one was difficult. Day two I could do this. Day three.. I wanted to kill people. Week one.. Better but found myself reaching for my cigs that weren't there.
Month 3... I wonder what flavor to vape today.
Just be stubborn and don't give up. More than 20 years of smoking and now smoke free and proud.
What did make things weird was the weight of a setup opposed to a cig. But now my RX feels at home in my hands.
My advice.. Just do it. If I can, you can.

Mods.. I vote for stickie

Thread has been stickied.

I think this is a great place to accumulate all the positive tips and encouragement for those wanting to stop smoking. Thanks for setting the train in motion @Vapers Corner

10. Most important. It’s a mindset

Remember ( well in my case ) it had taken 40 years of "Learning to smoke" and one of the things about Learning something new is REPETITION.
When we were smoking , we constantly re-inforced (and bull shyted our brains ) the Learning aspect by repeating it every time we smoked. So Turn it around...make REPETITION work to aquire a new HABIT.

I think the same can be applied to vapping... if at first you think its not working / not for me , force yourself to keep on trying

When I made the change from stinkies to vaping it was going good until I had a drink in my hand. I immediately bummed a smoke from my friends and just ended up buying a pack 30 minutes later. So a point to add is don't drink alcohol for a week or two while on the vape. from there it's smooth vaping.

When I made the change from stinkies to vaping it was going good until I had a drink in my hand. I immediately bummed a smoke from my friends and just ended up buying a pack 30 minutes later. So a point to add is don't drink alcohol for a week or two while on the vape. from there it's smooth vaping.

So So True... It boggles mt mind when i think back on this.. No matter how 'gesuip' one was , we still managed to peform the Learned response... fumble that damn twak out the box, set your eyebrows alight in the process, but damn we just had to get it alight.

I went through about 10ml of juice the other day whilst braaing with a dop in hand. The evil combo ...heheheh

Hi

I am currently a smoker, Camel Lights

I am in process of purchasing a Kangertech Toptank, I was wondering if I should buy above ohm coils to start vaping as it would be more of a MTL hit or should I just use the sub ohm coils with 6mg nicotine?

I smoke around 14 cigs a day but in actual fact a break them in half and only smoke the end bit (yes I know, I waste money). I know i'm addicted to the nicotine however I think I like the idea of taking a quick break which involves smoking.

I am convinced given vaping it will simulate taking a break and having nicotine wihout be craving cigs, I just wanted to know if it would be easy to start with above ohm or is it better to jump into the sub-ohm coils? as I see the toptank only comes with sub-ohm coils.

Hi

I am currently a smoker, Camel Lights

I am in process of purchasing a Kangertech Toptank, I was wondering if I should buy above ohm coils to start vaping as it would be more of a MTL hit or should I just use the sub ohm coils with 6mg nicotine?

I smoke around 14 cigs a day but in actual fact a break them in half and only smoke the end bit (yes I know, I waste money). I know i'm addicted to the nicotine however I think I like the idea of taking a quick break which involves smoking.

I am convinced given vaping it will simulate taking a break and having nicotine wihout be craving cigs, I just wanted to know if it would be easy to start with above ohm or is it better to jump into the sub-ohm coils? as I see the toptank only comes with sub-ohm coils.

Congratulations on taking the decision. Topbox is a good first buy.
Try the coils you get and see if they work for you. Then change what doesn't work for you. Sometimes it takes a while to find what you like best.

I was a diligent and loyal Camel Filter (soft pack) smoker for 23 years. My wife stopped smoking (Vogue slims) 3 years ago ......... after reading Alan Carr's book. On stopping I promised her I would smoke outside since cig smoke DOES affect (mostly "smell" wise) everything around it and I was now outnumbered since we also have 2 kids.
I did this for 3 years come rain come sunshine ....... my own house ....outside like a dog :).
Climbed on a beginner Maxi set of ecigs about 4 weeks ago. I know ........ laughable when I think about it now but what did I know.
Sucking on the commercial available VAPE and E-sense ejuice flavors. But that little gimmick changed my attitude and taste for Camels. Tried one Camel cig two weeks into vaping and could not get myself to the second draw. It was awful and suffocated the little white bastid in my old trusty abalone shell that served me so well for three years.
Since then I kangertech mod and then the evic ............. both HUGE upgrades from the Maxi and have never looked back.

My point is that if I, a Biology teacher and son-in-law of a smoking doctor , could quit the habit then it is totally possible with little mindset effort.
My kids are happier, wife has a extra glisten in the eye and I am in way better spirits. WIN WIN WIN situation.

Just wanted to share my take on this topic which is spot-on by the way.

This happened to me once last week. Using a twisp clearo, had drinks after work and the battery ran out (was still gauging the time it takes to drain). Had a few cigs. Didn't beat myself over it, just realised that I need to be prepared by keeping it charged during the day.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

This happened to me once last week. Using a twisp clearo, had drinks after work and the battery ran out (was still gauging the time it takes to drain). Had a few cigs. Didn't beat myself over it, just realised that I need to be prepared by keeping it charged during the day.

This is true. Also be prepared especially when going out drinking. Extra Juice, Extra batts, extra coils if need be etc otherwise the will be a stinkie in your hand. i guarantee it

I was a diligent and loyal Camel Filter (soft pack) smoker for 23 years. My wife stopped smoking (Vogue slims) 3 years ago ......... after reading Alan Carr's book. On stopping I promised her I would smoke outside since cig smoke DOES affect (mostly "smell" wise) everything around it and I was now outnumbered since we also have 2 kids.
I did this for 3 years come rain come sunshine ....... my own house ....outside like a dog :).
Climbed on a beginner Maxi set of ecigs about 4 weeks ago. I know ........ laughable when I think about it now but what did I know.
Sucking on the commercial available VAPE and E-sense ejuice flavors. But that little gimmick changed my attitude and taste for Camels. Tried one Camel cig two weeks into vaping and could not get myself to the second draw. It was awful and suffocated the little white bastid in my old trusty abalone shell that served me so well for three years.
Since then I kangertech mod and then the evic ............. both HUGE upgrades from the Maxi and have never looked back.

My point is that if I, a Biology teacher and son-in-law of a smoking doctor , could quit the habit then it is totally possible with little mindset effort.
My kids are happier, wife has a extra glisten in the eye and I am in way better spirits. WIN WIN WIN situation.

Just wanted to share my take on this topic which is spot-on by the way.
Now you need to work on that smoking doctor!

Back