Name one thing from your childhood

...these got me into big sh1t !

View attachment 129825
This is mine from my teens. I got and idea of the deep shit it is you talking about
0963af1343fc7f756bea9268898e3a99.jpg

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

741093b6e10a55d5d0994443ae0c094b.jpg

And in my teenage years... Barney Simon's Night Zoo. Rock/Metal show on 5FM every weeknight! Spent my evenings recording all the songs on cassette.

Nothing like it will ever exist again ;(

View attachment 129946

And in my teenage years... Barney Simon's Night Zoo. Rock/Metal show on 5FM every weeknight! Spent my evenings recording all the songs on cassette.

"Watch out everyone, he's coming through the door. Barney Psycho Simon." Best thing ever that was on radio. Still have some of my tapes packed away somewhere

Remember those like yesterday. Every night between 22:00 and 01:00. And on Sunday's it was ol Phill Wright playing some awesome blues. Won't get that again. Barney is currently on daytime on kakaranda fm. Just not the same.

TUKS fm gave us some hope until about 2 years back when they started playing music for the "majority". I just stopped listening to radio stations. Nobody plays my grunge anyway.

Sunday Smorgasbord at the King Edward Hotel
And
Father's Moustache at the Elangeli Hotel
Both in Durbs, first from my childhood, second from teens and early 20's

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sunday Smorgasbord at the King Edward Hotel
And
Father's Moustache at the Elangeli Hotel
Both in Durbs, first from my childhood, second from teens and early 20's

The Edward Smorgasbord! What an experience! Crayfish for days!

Didn't go to Fathers Moustache much because London Town Pub was my spot... and met my wife there and the rest is history! :h:

Didn't go to Fathers Moustache much because London Town Pub was my spot... and met my wife there and the rest is history! :h:
Went to London Town Pub a few times for a change of scenery.
The Rob Roy in Hillcrest also had a decent Smorgasbord. Went there a few times as well

My Dad used to smoke Mills (elsewhere in this thread I posted a pic of a Mills cigarette tin) but then he switched to cigars. How I hated the smell of stale cigar smoke in the car! I love the boxes though and I still have these two. I wish that my Dad were still alive today, as I'm sure he would love vaping!

Ritmeester closed.jpg Ritmeester open (1).jpg

Don Tomas.jpg

Now there are some memories coming back. I was based on the Bluff on two occasions during my national service. I remember the following from Durban:

Bunny Chows at every shop - my staple diet when we went out at night
Father's Moustache
Club Millionaires
London Town Pub
And a club at the Killarney Hotel - the name evades me now

Wild times those

Last edited:
Now there are some memories coming back. I was based on the Buff on two occasions during my national service. I remember the following from Durban:

Bunny Chows at every shop - my staple diet when we went out at night
Father's Moustache
Club Millionaires
London Town Pub
And a club at the Killarney Hotel - the name evades me now

Wild times those

@RenaldoRheeder , do you remember a Greek restaurant called Mykonos near the beachfront and old dolphinarium? It was epic. Eat as much as you like and our family went there several times when in Durbs on holiday. Was such a great place with great food.

@RenaldoRheeder , do you remember a Greek restaurant called Mykonos near the beachfront and old dolphinarium? It was epic. Eat as much as you like and our family went there several times when in Durbs on holiday. Was such a great place with great food.

I have to admit @Silver - I was there during my wild years. Restaurants was not exactly on my agenda - besides for Bunnychows. Other than that it was pubs and strips.

I have since outgrown that and calmed down

I just remembered - the pub at the Killarney hotel was Monk's Inn

Sent by iDad's iPhone

I have to admit @Silver - I was there during my wild years. Restaurants was not exactly on my agenda - besides for Bunnychows. Other than that it was pubs and strips.

I have since outgrown that and calmed down

I just remembered - the pub at the Killarney hotel was Monk's Inn

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Hehe
I hear you

Hi Ho @Silver! Mykonos was across the road from me when we lived in Belmont Towers on the beachfront! Mykonos used to keep us bachelors alive! R4.50 to eat as much as we liked... and we ate a LOT!

We also used to visit the One Rander in Nedbank Circle for breakfast!

Hi Ho @Silver! Mykonos was across the road from me when we lived in Belmont Towers on the beachfront! Mykonos used to keep us bachelors alive! R4.50 to eat as much as we liked... and we ate a LOT!

We also used to visit the One Rander in Nedbank Circle for breakfast!

Hehe @Rob Fisher
I can just imagine you guys in your youth raiding the Mykonos buffet for R4.50
The manager probably thought, "Oh no, here are those hungry chaps again". Take out the lamb and put in the cheaper meat. Hehe

I remember Mykonos very well - first 'cheap' date round 1981 with the woman I'm still married to this day.

School desks.jpg

We had these school desks, but fortunately ballpoint pens!!

EDIT: Pic from the Internet

Back