Name one thing from your childhood

One thing I remember from my childhood, uninterrupted electricity.

@Adephi Too true! And I remember my Mom watering the garden - every day. And I remember only too well being forced to do it too. We didn't have automatic systems in those days (or we didn't, anyway) and there's nothing more soul-destroying than standing in one spot with a hosepipe in your hand. It has put me off gardening for life!

Oh and plastic fruit....not sure what was its purpose...

0ebd9bf3-fd7e-474a-857b-995996c30fa4.jpg

3420fcee-f5fa-447b-a608-40e3b766d2ee.jpg

Last edited:
CmmIlwsW8AElYCL.jpg

One of the 1st english newsreaders on SABC TV
Michael Demorgan

Last edited:
Tok Tokkie - Used to be so much fun!

Yep - and the kids still play it - and even silly TEENAGERS play it! Here in Yzer during peak season (December) the town is choc-a-block but there's absolutely NOTHING to do here at night, so bored teenagers roam the streets playing tok-tokkie. It's not funny at 2a.m. Last year I disconnected my bell at the driveway gate and I'm not going to reconnect it.

My favourite tv show that was on air from 1975 to 1980 - Biltong and Potroast

Included
- Mel Miller
- Cyril Green
- Eddie Eksteen
- Cy Saks
- Dennis MacLean
- Len Davis
- Tony Stewart
- Allan Field
etc

Hosted by Clark McKay

Saks and his fellow comedians, including Mel Miller, Cyril Green, Len Davis and Noel Glover, got paid R35 a show - before tax. (https://www.timeslive.co.za/sunday-...y-saks-they-love-me-he-said-and-he-was-right/)

1160543_150214120240_DSC03871.JPG

Last edited:
Ooh we had this Gypsy tekkies. Cant find a picture on google, think with all the boycotts we goy some chinese copies or something

Ooh and later there was some kind of ninja shoes

Who remembers the old Tron toy

It was a two wheeler cycle and had this plastic rip cord thing that when you pulled it through it would make the wheel spin and this thing would go very fast!

cycles.jpg

Kiltys sweets
Prism chocolate
Take Two chocolate
Fanta Tropical
Fizzy Bites sweets
Simba Shooters chips

Most importantly:
Common Sense - which is sadly something that is found few and far between these days.

These He-man cakes when we were kids. My mom use to bake at least one a week for a birthday party.

He%20Man%20cakeFRM-228x228.jpg

My mom actually discovered the pan and wanted to make one for my 40th. But my boy wanted an Aquaman cake. So my mom improvised.

IMG_20190323_082534.jpg

Who remembers having to pay a penny to use a public toilet? Each cubicle door had a slot thingy on it, into which the penny was inserted and only then did the door open.

Looks like the wheel is turning full circle, unless this article is an April Fool's joke!
https://www.all4women.co.za/1720727...lls-weve-got-p-tolls-public-toilet-tax-for-sa

They have it in the UK. Honestly, I don't mind paying to use the restroom because the ones where you have to pay are generally much cleaner and better stocked with toilet paper and hand soap. A few years ago I was in the Eastern Cape and we drove through Rouxville, a very small town if you blink you'll miss it, and they had one of these pay to use restrooms at the garage there. They were, however, the first pay restroom I encountered that was not well stocked.

Back