New Squonker

87hunter

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
A mate of mine had an Athena mech mod for sale at a steal so I grabbed it a couple weeks back.
I'm only 7 weeks into vaping now so the wait for a BF RDA was a blessing in disguise.
I used the time to read up on mech safety and asked questions.

Yesterday I received my Dpro and with shaky hands from all the horror stories I heard, I coiled, wicked and inserted a fully charged 25r.
I sat for a second waiting for it to blow up, then pulsed it looking for arcing and listened for hissing.
Bear in mind I live 150km away from a vape shop and have never seen anybody use a squonker before apart from the Internet.
My first pull was a dream. Just like dripping, a bit flatter, but good.
I've spent the last 18 hours alternating between dripping and squonking and my vape career has been turned on its head. I don't know how I will go back to rta's.

Only caveat is the squonk feels like 50w on my voopoo and peerless setup (0.14 ohms).
Need to do a bit more reading, but would like to safely drop the ohms.
My current setup is an Athena mod, Dpro RDA, 0.3ohm Clapton, 25r battery.
Any suggestions?

Just a quick pic
34e98aa6d812c7ca5e1b1270aa8af64a.jpg

Welcome to the world of squonking. @87hunter . My prediction is that you will drip less and less until you reach the point where you squonk almost exclusively. Get yourself a Hadaly or Hadaly clone and you won't look back. Take a look at @KZOR 's videos on sq mods and bf tanks.
I now only use RTAs once in a while because I feel guilty that I bought so many of them.

i would suggest use simple wire in a mech heats up faster and you will have better battery life. try a parallel 26g 7 wraps on 3ID.

Thanks for the comments guys. Will definitely look into the hadalays. Squonking rocks right now.
Maybe need a vtc5a as the 25 doesn't last for more than 4mls.

I made these last night. Ni80 24ga parallel 5 wraps
0ff01ea2b741da274fc4d64bd78ee727.jpg

I would be careful and confirm ohms as those parallels might come in sub 0.1ohm mark , that's pushing the limits of your battery and your mod contacts ...... especially with the arching issues on the Athena ....

I would be careful and confirm ohms as those parallels might come in sub 0.1ohm mark , that's pushing the limits of your battery and your mod contacts ...... especially with the arching issues on the Athena ....
Thank you! I check ohms on my voopoo. I'll just build a new set of coils. I am loving building coils at the moment.

Thank you! I check ohms on my voopoo. I'll just build a new set of coils. I am loving building coils at the moment.

Do yourself a favor get some Haywire Flatwire Ni80 , it's the only single wire I build with .... should be available at most online retailers ....

Do yourself a favor get some Haywire Flatwire Ni80 , it's the only single wire I build with .... should be available at most online retailers ....

Awesome, I will look for some. Need to place an order soon.

Thanks for the comments guys. Will definitely look into the hadalays. Squonking rocks right now.
Maybe need a vtc5a as the 25 doesn't last for more than 4mls.

I made these last night. Ni80 24ga parallel 5 wraps
0ff01ea2b741da274fc4d64bd78ee727.jpg
run the dpro in single coil mode. single parallel should come out at .18 which is at the limit. use a lot more cotton out of the coils to reduce the chamber size and you should find your happy place. or make it 6 wraps and be safe

run the dpro in single coil mode. single parallel should come out at .18 which is at the limit. use a lot more cotton out of the coils to reduce the chamber size and you should find your happy place. or make it 6 wraps and be safe
Ni80 24ga parallel 5 wraps 2.5mm id comes in at 0.16ohms on my voopoo.
Tastes great. Thanks for the suggestion
2a87dca7d5c50202774735e2c3efb5f4.jpg

Go with thinner wire if u doing a dual build.... 0.22 is also safe as u have wore mass to compensate.. Just make sure u using correct batteries

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Back