New to vaping

@Ronell - The first thing that went through my mind when I wanted to purchase an electronic cigarette (e-cig) was, how much is all of this going to cost me? Here are some things that you can consider.

1. How much can you afford to spend?
The initial outlay for a device can be as low as about R300
Examples
- https://www.jjemporium.co.za/products/eleaf-icare-kit
- http://www.vapecartel.co.za/collections/starter-kits/products/aio-starter-kit
- https://www.jjemporium.co.za/products/joyetech-aio-d22?variant=21453448324
- http://vaperite.co.za/product/eleaf-ijust-2-kit/
- http://dragonvape.thisistap.com/product/eleaf-i-just-s-kit/
The price obviously increases when you go for bigger and better devices like the PICO (which is highly rated) but remember you will then also have to budget for batteries for it.

2. When selecting the device you also need to consider the type of draw you prefer, i.e. when you smoked, was the draw (pull) on the cig tight or loose?
Example: When you suck through a very thin straw while drinking a cooldrink, the draw is tight. The wider the straw, the looser the draw. Some devices have a tight draw (Mouth-to-Lung devices - MTL). Others have a looser and more airy draw and are used for Direct Lung (DL) inhale. Cigs like Rothmans have a tight draw while the "light" cigs (that often have holes in the filter) give an airy/looser draw.

3. Coils are usually in the region of R50-R75 each, but you can save when you purchase a pack of 5 coils (highly recommended since coils do not carry a warranty and you do find the occasional dud coil). The price of coils for device X often differs from the price of coils for device Y.

4. Juice costs around R150 per 30ml. You will need to specify the nicotine content, e.g. 0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg.
Juice selection will be influenced by point 2 above - if you do DL inhale, then select a juice with less nicotine (6mg or less). MTL usually works best with higher nicotine juice (12-18mg).
The 30ml bottle could last you from a few days to a few weeks - it all depends on how much you vape. I would advise that you budget for at least 2 bottles a month, once again, depending on how much you vape.

5. Something which I learnt the hard way is that you need a backup device.

To sum it all up,
- the initial device can work out to as little as R300-R400. (once off purchase)
- coils about R100-R150 per month (depending on the device you purchased, how much you vape, type of juice, etc.)
- juice costs will be between R150-R300 per month.
Your monthly expenses will then be about R450. (What is/was your monthly expenditure on cigarettes?)

Remember, you can cut costs by purchasing a 5-pack of coils instead of single coils and later on when you've decided which juices you like, you can purchase 100ml bottles that are even cheaper per ml.
Example: If you purchase a 30ml bottle of juice for R150, that works out to R5 per ml.
If you purchase a 100ml bottle of juice for R360, that works out to R3.60 per ml

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
@Ronell - The first thing that went through my mind when I wanted to purchase an electronic cigarette (e-cig) was, how much is all of this going to cost me? Here are some things that you can consider.

1. How much can you afford to spend?
The initial outlay for a device can be as low as about R300
Examples
- https://www.jjemporium.co.za/products/eleaf-icare-kit
- http://www.vapecartel.co.za/collections/starter-kits/products/aio-starter-kit
- https://www.jjemporium.co.za/products/joyetech-aio-d22?variant=21453448324
- http://vaperite.co.za/product/eleaf-ijust-2-kit/
- http://dragonvape.thisistap.com/product/eleaf-i-just-s-kit/
The price obviously increases when you go for bigger and better devices like the PICO (which is highly rated) but remember you will then also have to budget for batteries for it.

2. When selecting the device you also need to consider the type of draw you prefer, i.e. when you smoked, was the draw (pull) on the cig tight or loose?
Example: When you suck through a very thin straw while drinking a cooldrink, the draw is tight. The wider the straw, the looser the draw. Some devices have a tight draw (Mouth-to-Lung devices - MTL). Others have a looser and more airy draw and are used for Direct Lung (DL) inhale. Cigs like Rothmans have a tight draw while the "light" cigs (that often have holes in the filter) give an airy/looser draw.

3. Coils are usually in the region of R50-R75 each, but you can save when you purchase a pack of 5 coils (highly recommended since coils do not carry a warranty and you do find the occasional dud coil). The price of coils for device X often differs from the price of coils for device Y.

4. Juice costs around R150 per 30ml. You will need to specify the nicotine content, e.g. 0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg.
Juice selection will be influenced by point 2 above - if you do DL inhale, then select a juice with less nicotine (6mg or less). MTL usually works best with higher nicotine juice (12-18mg).
The 30ml bottle could last you from a few days to a few weeks - it all depends on how much you vape. I would advise that you budget for at least 2 bottles a month, once again, depending on how much you vape.

5. Something which I learnt the hard way is that you need a backup device.

To sum it all up,
- the initial device can work out to as little as R300-R400. (once off purchase)
- coils about R100-R150 per month (depending on the device you purchased, how much you vape, type of juice, etc.)
- juice costs will be between R150-R300 per month.
Your monthly expenses will then be about R450. (What is/was your monthly expenditure on cigarettes?)

Remember, you can cut costs by purchasing a 5-pack of coils instead of single coils and later on when you've decided which juices you like, you can purchase 100ml bottles that are even cheaper per ml.
Example: If you purchase a 30ml bottle of juice for R150, that works out to R5 per ml.
If you purchase a 100ml bottle of juice for R360, that works out to R3.60 per ml

Hope this helps.

What a great response! Wish I saw this when I just got started. You nailed what it is costing me perfectly. I definitely prefer MTL so my Ego AIO D22 XL and backup standard Ego AIO suit me perfectly. Also never was a "real smoker", just at parties etc, so the 3mg juice is my preference. But I had to figure this out through a bit of trial and error

What a great response! Wish I saw this when I just got started. You nailed what it is costing me perfectly. I definitely prefer MTL so my Ego AIO D22 XL and backup standard Ego AIO suit me perfectly. Also never was a "real smoker", just at parties etc, so the 3mg juice is my preference. But I had to figure this out through a bit of trial and error

@Taytay , I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about vaping, costs, juice, coils, etc., and felt like a grade 1 pupil in a PhD class. With the help of a lot of folk on this forum I was able to take very small baby steps.

I only do MTL but unfortunately the AIO's are too loose for me. Fortunately the Nautilus range of tanks are perfect for my needs. :)

Last edited:
@Taytay , I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about vaping, costs, juice, coils, etc., and felt like a grade 1 pupil in a PhD class. With the help of a lot of folk on this forum I was able to take very small baby steps.

I only do MTL but unfortunately the AIO's are too loose for me. Fortunately the Nautilus range of tanks is perfect for my needs. :)

Love this community of helpful people :LOVEYOUZ:

I only do MTL but unfortunately the AIO's are too loose for me. Fortunately the Nautilus range of tanks is perfect for my needs. :)

Its strange when i started i got a eleaf gs tank with my kit it had a nice tight draw and not airy. I then got a ijust 2 kit as a spare kit and was using the 0.3 coil it felt like i was getting a kick in the face of vape. :)

But the more i used the ijust 2 i actually started preferring the bigger airflow. And was battling to use the gs tank cause it felt so restricted. :)

Everyone is diffrent but the main thing is if it works for you then its all good.

Vape on...

Ok I've purchased my first vape. The eleaf ijust s starter kit... With 3 bottles of juice. Two 6mg and one 0mg from vape King. I can't wait for it to arrive!! hope it's here before Friday

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

I looked at this one this morning and I like it. I will definitely go for a, is it stainless steel?? Look. Looks so classy. Another thing, will this help me to stop smoking cigarettes? I'm trying g to quit and thought that maybe I should go for low nicotine in the beginning and maybe go down to a zero nicotine.
As a 47yr smoker vapeing did it for me. I was advised to start w/a higher nic amt. between 18-24mg as this is close to a cigarette nic.wise.If you start too low,the satisfaction won't be enough to keep Smoke free.I started at 18mg. and weaned down to 3mg in less than 8mo.Been smoke free going close to 3yrs.You can do it! Good luck!

Ok I've purchased my first vape. The eleaf ijust s starter kit... With 3 bottles of juice. Two 6mg and one 0mg from vape King. I can't wait for it to arrive!! hope it's here before Friday

Yay! Which juices did you go for? Living in Richards Bay with no vape shops to taste before I buy, I have relied heavily on juice reviews on this forum to guide me. That vape mail wait is terrible though :pLet us know how you enjoy your new device.

Hey @Ronell, welcome to the best forum in South Africa.

I have to agree with most of the forum, although I'm also a newbie, I have vaped the Pico and its outstanding. Flavour and vapour exceeded my expectations. Not going to go wrong with it.

I recently bought the iJust2 and it is fantastic. One drawback is that it doesn't have an adjustable airflow, which is quite a "lungful" if you're looking for a typical smoker mouth-to-lung pull.

It's all about what you're looking for and what you want to get out of it. Most vendors have more than enough knowledge to meet your needs.

Hope this sort of helps :)
Happy Vaping!

My apologies for the previous post, had not read that you have purchased the iJusts

Hope you have a great vaping journey and please share it with us, will love to hear about how it progresses!

Happy Vaping :)

Yay! Which juices did you go for? Living in Richards Bay with no vape shops to taste before I buy, I have relied heavily on juice reviews on this forum to guide me. That vape mail wait is terrible though :pLet us know how you enjoy your new device.
I know what you mean by tasting before you buy. I don`t ever buy a juice unless I`ve tested it first. IIRC you have a very talented juice maker on your doorstep. @Rooigevaar . His range is called Wiener Vapes and can be found here. He is not allowed to respond outside of the vendors forums so maybe PM him with regards to getting sample packs/testers. I`ve tried Dogs Life, Fetch and Tail Chase and it`s really good.

I know what you mean by tasting before you buy. I don`t ever buy a juice unless I`ve tested it first. IIRC you have a very talented juice maker on your doorstep. @Rooigevaar . His range is called Wiener Vapes and can be found here. He is not allowed to respond outside of the vendors forums so maybe PM him with regards to getting sample packs/testers. I`ve tried Dogs Life, Fetch and Tail Chase and it`s really good.
Well I also had to buy before testing. I bought grape, banana and menthol. Seeing that I smoke menthol cigarettes I reckoned the menthol one would be close so I wouldn't crave the cigarettes that bad.

Hey @Ronell, welcome to the best forum in South Africa.

I have to agree with most of the forum, although I'm also a newbie, I have vaped the Pico and its outstanding. Flavour and vapour exceeded my expectations. Not going to go wrong with it.

I recently bought the iJust2 and it is fantastic. One drawback is that it doesn't have an adjustable airflow, which is quite a "lungful" if you're looking for a typical smoker mouth-to-lung pull.

It's all about what you're looking for and what you want to get out of it. Most vendors have more than enough knowledge to meet your needs.

Hope this sort of helps :)
Happy Vaping!
Thank you @Vaponaut12, I hope that this one would be exactly what I want

Congratulations @Ronell wishing you all of the very best on your vaping journey and as @kev mac stated, after too may years of smoking, and still ever so grateful to @Andre and this forum, started on 18mg, then moved to 12mg, and the 6mg followed soon. Over 7 months on the 6mg and now am proud to be part of the 3mg club.

Lol. I am afraid that @Rooigevaar may already think that my sister @Minamoo and I are stalkers! In my opinion a juice genius. Since I found him, I now exclusively use Wiener Vape and Mr Hardwicks juice

@Rooigevaar Thanks to you I will be needing "help" with the "addiction", when I "Fetch" some "East", "Lick" my lips in anticipation and feel like a "Good Boy" because I vape the excellent magic you produce! All in my daily rotation, thank goodness the nozzle on East is too small to take a straw....Told you I needed help!!!

My opinion is simple. Go for the most powerful Mod with the most features, according to your budget. Guaranteed you will eventually want to upgrade if you start with something small. But that just my 3 cents worth.

@Taytay , I've only tasted about 30-40 juices (that's very little) but some have been a real a waste of money.
Now you must remember that taste is completely subjective, but my top juices at the moment are all from the NCV range.
@Vapington really makes quality juices and my favourites are Milked, Trinity and Frozen Yoghurt .... imho, NCV Frozen is absolutely brilliant.
What's amusing is that I tried Frozen in a twisp, a nautilus mini and a nautilus X, and the Frozen actually tastes best in the twisp. :)

@Taytay , I've only tasted about 30-40 juices (that's very little) but some have been a real a waste of money.
Now you must remember that taste is completely subjective, but my top juices at the moment are all from the NCV range.
@Vapington really makes quality juices and my favourites are Milked, Trinity and Frozen Yoghurt .... imho, NCV Frozen is absolutely brilliant.
What's amusing is that I tried Frozen in a twisp, a nautilus mini and a nautilus X, and the Frozen actually tastes best in the twisp. :)

@ddk1979, I have really noticed the subjectiveness of taste! My sister and I have completely different opinions on a good flavor. But we can both agree when a juice has a nice full flavour etc.
What the reviews have helped me with (I like to think) is to eliminate most "definitely nots", eg I have a small unit with a factory coil and no plan of changing soon so I eliminate juices that others have reported as being flavorless at lower wattages. There are soooooo many juices out there that I couldn't possibly try everything (at least not without bankrupting myself) so I needed a way of sifting through a bit... Tiny bit of method in my madness.

The iJust2 does have a silicone band for adjusting the airflow, if that's what you were referring to regarding airflow. iJust is a good bet, I run an Aspire Cleito tank with a 0.4 ohm coil on the iJust battery and it's been working great. I love box mods but this is a reliable alternative for use on the go.

There are lots of great juices with mixed opinions, but there are a few that I like and use all the time which also seem to be liked by the majority of the people. Names that come to mind: Mr. Hardwicks Raspberry smackaroon, NCV Trinity, Vapour Mountain VM4 (if you like tobacco), Vapour Mountain XXX (perfectly balanced menthol), Hazeworks Scream. I haven't checked reviews for this but Creamy Clouds Creme Soda is awesome if you like Creme Soda flavour. There are plenty other great juices, these are quite universal though and I have them filled at the moment for ADV use. If you are in Dbn, pm me if you need a a sample to try.

As others have mentioned, don't be shy to go high nic initially!

Back