Nitecore charger no more!

DarkSide

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Just thought I would share the demise of my Nitecore UM20 USB charger. Was busy charging the batteries for the Subox mini, charger plugged into my laptop, smelt a burning smell, only thing close to my laptop was the charger, when I picked it up, was damn hot, immediately pulled the USB connection and pulled out the Sony batteries.
Mt father-in-law, an electrician, tested the batteries, these check out, no damage, only the charger a write-off.
Damn shame, now I need a new charger and will stay away from Nitecore until someone tells me different.
Be careful even with an USB device!

best is to build them yourself imho. then you know if the workmanship is up to spec

Well I have only good things to say about Nitecore chargers. Have an i2 for nearly 2 years, it's my spare now. Have a D4 for over 6 months. Never a moments problem. Both quality chargers.

Just thought I would share the demise of my Nitecore UM20 USB charger. Was busy charging the batteries for the Subox mini, charger plugged into my laptop, smelt a burning smell, only thing close to my laptop was the charger, when I picked it up, was damn hot, immediately pulled the USB connection and pulled out the Sony batteries.
Mt father-in-law, an electrician, tested the batteries, these check out, no damage, only the charger a write-off.
Damn shame, now I need a new charger and will stay away from Nitecore until someone tells me different.
Be careful even with an USB device!

Get an Efest Luc4. Awesome charger. Can take it in the car and can charge other devices as well with a usb output. Charges 4 channels at 1amp simultaneously.

no problems with my nitecore aswell , been in use for 2 years now

I've been using my Nitecore D2 for almost a year now and have no issues. I am actually planning on purchasing a Nitecore D4 in the near future.

Last edited:
Hi @DarkSide

Sorry to hear about your charger

I dont know about the um20 model you had

But as the other guys above have said, i have had good service from nitecore chargers

My i4 has been going for nearly as long as i have been vaping - about 18 months - without a single problem. I have only used it while plugged in to the mains though - havent tried it in the car charger mode

And my i2 has been going for about a year. It does make a very slight buzzing noise which irritates me a bit if i am working in a quiet environment, but it hasnt had any problem with charging.

Only thing i have noticed is my i4 charges my batteries to about 4.20 to 4.22V V whereas the i2 only charges them to about 4.18. But not a problem.

Maybe you got a dud unit.

Yeah I had a nitecore i4 for over a year no issues. Its still going strong with a new owner. I was so impressed I upgraded to the D4.

Get an Efest Luc4. Awesome charger. Can take it in the car and can charge other devices as well with a usb output. Charges 4 channels at 1amp simultaneously.

My nitecore d2 is a workhorse but I'm checking this out when I get another. I need more bays.

my i2 failed on one port after using it with the car adaptor. Now it is a one port charger.

Back