Nitecore Mixer

Salamander

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
How many people out there are using the Nitecore Mixer, and how efficient are you finding it? I noticed something strange last night and wonder if I have a faulty unit or am I doing something wrong.
I put 70ml of VG in a 100ml beaker, set it to heat up to 70C ( just for a short while to thin the VG down). I then dropped the temp to 35C and added my flavour concentrates and left it to stir. About 20 minutes later I had a look and realised that the top section was not actually being stirred. There is a section above the 70ml mark on the beaker was not being blended into the rest.
IMG_20180416_202911[1].jpg

How many people out there are using the Nitecore Mixer, and how efficient are you finding it? I noticed something strange last night and wonder if I have a faulty unit or am I doing something wrong.
I put 70ml of VG in a 100ml beaker, set it to heat up to 70C ( just for a short while to thin the VG down). I then dropped the temp to 35C and added my flavour concentrates and left it to stir. About 20 minutes later I had a look and realised that the top section was not actually being stirred. There is a section above the 70ml mark on the beaker was not being blended into the rest.
View attachment 129323

Is it not perhaps the speed at which you stir. What is the RPM?

I stir at the default - I think 1200RPM

Sent by iDad's iPhone

i use bigger stir bars. and u must give it a shake or hand stir as. the mixer only stir what you see there is the concentrates ontop of vg. so the top is spinning on the bottom. take it of mix it in and see again.
pg and vg can take the heat its the nic that can't

Larger stir bar will help but ultimately the best solution would be a larger beaker with wide floor space for a 80ml+ mix.

Too large a stir bar will keep popping up off the magnets though. Can send measurements of the biggest stable stir bar I've used if you like.

I find it efficient for 40ml in that size beaker.

You'll want a 250ml (min) to 500ml (best) beaker for 80ml and above with a larger stir bar.

Don't mean to side track, but I've had a look at this mixer, and I cannot see how its going to make my mixing any easier or faster.

Seems you cant really do any large batches.
How much volume can be mixed in what time?

If I do usual mixes, I can mix maybe 8 x 100ml bottles in under an hour. That includes setup etc.
How long would it take to mix 8 different 100ml juices with this?

Use an erlinmeyer flask,
Wide base, narrows down toward the neck.
It's much more efficient than the plain breakers.

I can steep 300ml successfully at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mean to side track, but I've had a look at this mixer, and I cannot see how its going to make my mixing any easier or faster.

Seems you cant really do any large batches.
How much volume can be mixed in what time?

If I do usual mixes, I can mix maybe 8 x 100ml bottles in under an hour. That includes setup etc.
How long would it take to mix 8 different 100ml juices with this?

I mix up to 200 ml at a time without any issues. I don't have to do anything more than pour in the components and turn it on. I do have Ruematoid Arthritis so mixing manually is not the best thing to do.

Sent by iDad's iPhone

I mix up to 200 ml at a time without any issues. I don't have to do anything more than pour in the components and turn it on. I do have Ruematoid Arthritis so mixing manually is not the best thing to do.

Sent by iDad's iPhone
pg in last or first
i find pg on top so it always trays to go down

I am mixing at max revs - 1200RPM. I transferred this mix to a 200ml beaker and it was fine. Obviously this beaker is wider. This would then have the same problem if I had 200ml in that beaker. I think that the wider stir bar might be a solution. I will also have a look at the Erlenmeyr flasks

I am mixing at max revs - 1200RPM. I transferred this mix to a 200ml beaker and it was fine. Obviously this beaker is wider. This would then have the same problem if I had 200ml in that beaker. I think that the wider stir bar might be a solution. I will also have a look at the Erlenmeyr flasks
here is the bar let me know were u get the Erlenmeyer thing

The flavourmill is getting erlinmeyer flasks tomorrow or Thursday I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this mixer very inefficient and poorly designed. A friend has one and is complaining about the same thing. I opened it up and found that the magnet is weak and sits too far from the top. I have a computer fan made one that can stir pure VG in winter without heating it up. I'm so glad I never bought this.

Like I said in the past I regard it purely as a small batch sample maker, it won't serve well doing big batches for the diy guys.

Oh well, "skoolgeld" as they say. The concept is great, but the execution ........ I can still mix my 100ml batches but will do it in the bigger beaker until my local stockist gets the flasks into stock.

I have this mixer and it works really well up to 100ml. I too see the ingredients floating on the top and not mixing down to the stir bar.

It's all about aspect ratio. The mix in your beaker is too tall. If you want it to work make sure the liquid is flatter if you know what I mean.

When I mix 100ml I use a 250ml beaker so the liquid is around an inch deep by around 3 inches across. If you can see the action of the mixing bar, it almost creates a doughnut shaped movement around it.

If you see the layers on top are not mixing, check in about an hour and put the temp up to about 45 degrees for that hour. The movement of the liquid should get to that layer.

I have been using this mixer for about 6 months and it is amazing for small batches and tests. I have read a lot of articles on speed steeping with a magnetic mixer/heater. I have run tests on mixes, one that steeped for 6 weeks vs one that I let run on the nitecore overnight, same recipe.

I would say that the mixer does an amazing job of mixing and gives the steeping a head start but I do not believe it can replace letting it lie for a while.

Certain mixes are SNV but I play with tobaccos most of the time and most of them definitely need time before they are ready to vape.

Hope this helps
2614f5bce1da8aa46ff834e090927e84.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I agree. The 250ml beaker works for 100ml so that's what I will use for now. The steeping effect is brilliant. Nitecore says you can mix up to 200ml but I think that is being a bit optimistic!

I agree. The 250ml beaker works for 100ml so that's what I will use for now. The steeping effect is brilliant. Nitecore says you can mix up to 200ml but I think that is being a bit optimistic!
You can mix 200mls but I would increase the temp at least another 5 degrees and run it at max with the biggest stir bar you can get your hands on. The stir bar sold separately by blck is far too small. It makes funnies on the nitecore. You'll want to get a 30-35mm bar. I think clyrolinx might have them. Also see if you can mix 200mls in a 400ml or 500ml beaker. And let it go for at least 24hrs

Next step is lab type magnetic mixer

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I find this mixer very inefficient and poorly designed. A friend has one and is complaining about the same thing. I opened it up and found that the magnet is weak and sits too far from the top. I have a computer fan made one that can stir pure VG in winter without heating it up. I'm so glad I never bought this.
@zadiac your Computer fan mixer, do you use a heating pad for heat and if so how do you temperature control it? I made one months ago with a portable usb fan thingy as per 1 video on YouTube and it was not strong enough to mix anything unless the beaker almost touches the magnet. Very keen on building the Comp Van setup?

Back