Photography

Lovely seeing the photos in this thread

All the best with the new camera @BumbleBee !

Great photos @hyphen - lovely to look at

COOPH3-670x491.jpg Can I make a suggestion @Naz , something I saw online that I've been meaning to try , you get a high gloss floor tile and try model/product shots , you get this cool reflection vibe. ps: Not my photo , just an example :

View attachment 82349 Can I make a suggestion @Naz , something I saw online that I've been meaning to try , you get a high gloss floor tile and try model/product shots , you get this cool reflection vibe. ps: Not my photo , just an example :
A sheet of glass elevated over a piece of white paper also works wonders, you'll get a subtle reflection and eliminate shadows once you get the angle right.

A mirror is fun too...

IMG_1270.JPG

Super @shaunnadan !!
Loved the part when it came down to say hello to you and you were waving. Hehe
What were you using to control it? Looks like a pretty large controlling device in your hand.
Was that an iPad? or something like that?

Super @shaunnadan !!
Loved the part when it came down to say hello to you and you were waving. Hehe
What were you using to control it? Looks like a pretty large controlling device in your hand.
Was that an iPad? or something like that?

the controller has my iphone 6 connected to it with a hood to block out glare from the sunlight.

Great shots @BumbleBee :)
Have you ever tried shooting on black velvet?

I find it works so well for silver and gold coins.
So awesome to see Sony featuring on this thread :)
As soon as you said black velvet I thought of all that dust :eek:
But yes, velvets do look really good, and you can play with them to get different lighting effects by moving the material around, folding it or scrunching it up. You just need to be really careful with coins, rubbing them or damaging the fine patina or natural tarnish is a big no-no.

That old Sony was one of the best buys I've ever made, it was pricey back then (2005?) at R5500 but it was totally worth it, best of all it still works :D

Stunning photos @hyphen !!! Especially love the feel of the harbour photograph. Beautiful works.

Great video @shaunnadan !!! Nice soundtrack compliment and really smooth panning. Love the JMPD cop car pulling in at 26 seconds hahahaha :cbiggrin:

@BumbleBee

I agree dust is a nightmare, but tweaking the curves or shadows filter in photoshop gets rid of it quickly. If you get the right kind of velvet it should never scratch anything. Something also quite cool with still flat objects like your coins is flat side lighting. Creates a 3d raised impression which looks surreal. They use it a lot for books and magazines.

What kind of setup did you use?

Something for the members earlier is a light tent. Can be DIY or store bought. If the lighting is positioned right in combo with the right settings you get truly shadow less light without hotspots. Can use different coloured materials for the infinty wall or cardboards and even place mirrors and reflective surfaces. A vital tool for most product photography

For the DIY version Muslin cloth or tracing paper works perfectly.photography_make_a_light_tent_attach_runway.jpg images.jpg

Here are a couple I took of Bubble teas and some other silly things for a menu I designed. I made them using my homemade lightbox and one or DSC01330.JPG DSC01243.jpg two off camera flashes.Mango.jpg Panda.jpg Strawberry 1.jpg

Stunning photos @hyphen !!! Especially love the feel of the harbour photograph. Beautiful works.

Great video @shaunnadan !!! Nice soundtrack compliment and really smooth panning. Love the JMPD cop car pulling in at 26 seconds hahahaha :cbiggrin:

he eventually parked right infront of me ! not saying anything (i was not going to make eye contact or casual chit chat) so i left the drone to hover above the lake, packed my bag and walked off (regained control once i was on the other side of the lake)

cc.png

he eventually parked right infront of me ! not saying anything (i was not going to make eye contact or casual chit chat) so i left the drone to hover above the lake, packed my bag and walked off (regained control once i was on the other side of the lake)

View attachment 82809
Hahahah Brilliant stuff :applaudit:

@BumbleBee

I agree dust is a nightmare, but tweaking the curves or shadows filter in photoshop gets rid of it quickly. If you get the right kind of velvet it should never scratch anything. Something also quite cool with still flat objects like your coins is flat side lighting. Creates a 3d raised impression which looks surreal. They use it a lot for books and magazines.

What kind of setup did you use?
For photographing coins I had a chipboard box lined with white paper which was open on the front and on top. I had the camera mounted directly to the box with a bolt. The coins were placed on a glass shelf in the box. Lighting was taken care of by two CFL bulbs with tracing paper "lampshades". It looked terrible but it was solid and worked well :)

For photographing coins I had a chipboard box lined with white paper which was open on the front and on top. I had the camera mounted directly to the box with a bolt. The coins were placed on a glass shelf in the box. Lighting was taken care of by two CFL bulbs with tracing paper "lampshades". It looked terrible but it was solid and worked well :)

Technical setups never really look good and only the person who put it up really knows whats actually going on, but that is why I love it!
Nice work:-D

Back