Protank Mini 3 Going Through Coils Quick

Do they give you a burnt taste?
My dad still flies through coils but when he says it tastes burnt, I can't taste burnt at all.

the mini protank 3 uses those new shitty coils which you cannot really clean or open. I went and bought the protank 2 coils although they single coils you can clean them, put cotton in, build coils etc, so they last you months and are way better than the dual coils once you have put cotton in.

Well I'm doing the alcohol treatment to a few coils, to see how much more mileage I get.

I just don't think I can quit RY4, and the dark cherry makes the juice especially dark. So if I don't get decent mileage out of them, I'll switch coils.

Try boiling them in distilled water worked for me.

Thank you. It worked a charm.
I was so paranoid of getting that vile taste again, that I boiled through 4 times. I have the cleanest coil in the world now :)

Just going to buy vodka for the next time though. Yoh, if you don't get the surgical spirits out, it's so so bad!

When you clean the coils in vodka / alcohol, do you remove the wicks or can you leave them in?

I have the Kangertech Genitank with dual coils and I can't take out the wick without taking the housing apart (which I'm too scared to try just yet in case I break it), so I need to know if I can soak them in vodka with the wick still in.

Or is it possible to use the single coils in the Genitank?

When you clean the coils in vodka / alcohol, do you remove the wicks or can you leave them in?

I have the Kangertech Genitank with dual coils and I can't take out the wick without taking the housing apart (which I'm too scared to try just yet in case I break it), so I need to know if I can soak them in vodka with the wick still in.

Or is it possible to use the single coils in the Genitank?

No don't take them apart. I found works best if you run them under hot water, but gently running water. I do that a few times, then soak in vodka, repeat the rinse.

Just take you time about it. Leave in vodka for a good day or two. And let them dry nicely before you dry hit it.

I'm not sure about GeniTank with singled coils. If you do find out please let us know. I'm holding on to the MPT3 just because I can use the EVOD single coil which I can rebuild.

Ah okay, pulled the thing apart and the liquid had basically crystalized on the coil.

Hey Zombie :)

Could you share how you got the coils open? I tried getting the dual-coil units open and the chimneys kept snapping off. The single coil units are much easier, they some off with little persuasion.

I too have have much luck with dry-pulsing and soaking coils in vodka. Have been running two coils now for about 6 months but I clean my tanks and rotate the coils twice, sometimes three times a week. (I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my tanks in shape)

Hey Zombie :)

Could you share how you got the coils open? I tried getting the dual-coil units open and the chimneys kept snapping off. The single coil units are much easier, they some off with little persuasion.

I too have have much luck with dry-pulsing and soaking coils in vodka. Have been running two coils now for about 6 months but I clean my tanks and rotate the coils twice, sometimes three times a week. (I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my tanks in shape)

To open the new style coils, I found it easiest to remove the bottom pin, then pull out the coil and wick that way. Next, insert a screwdriver that fits through the bottom hole and tap the chimney off that way. The trouble is with getting it back on again - for this, I usually use some sandpaper to make it fit a little looser :D

Another option with putting the chimney back on a protank 3 coil and if you use pliers with the rounded mouth. If you look inside the Coil you will notice a spring plate on the inside of the coil with groves on either side. If you put a little pressure with the pliers on the sides that has the groves the chimney will almost fall into place.

To open the new style coils, I found it easiest to remove the bottom pin, then pull out the coil and wick that way. Next, insert a screwdriver that fits through the bottom hole and tap the chimney off that way. The trouble is with getting it back on again - for this, I usually use some sandpaper to make it fit a little looser :D

Another option with putting the chimney back on a protank 3 coil and if you use pliers with the rounded mouth. If you look inside the Coil you will notice a spring plate on the inside of the coil with groves on either side. If you put a little pressure with the pliers on the sides that has the groves the chimney will almost fall into place.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll try this out over the weekend :)

Hey @John the way I took them off is by leaving the the coil on the mod... Then grip with pliers and carefully wiggle the chimney off.

But I've given up on dual coils. I like a nice micro single coil (EVOD). With organic japanese cotton wick, it works very nicely.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll try this out over the weekend :)

It takes some practice to figure out where to and how much pressure you need. but once you figure it out, its easy as pie.

Nice one...I'm going to give that a go :D

Hey @John the way I took them off is by leaving the the coil on the mod... Then grip with pliers and carefully wiggle the chimney off.

But I've given up on dual coils. I like a nice micro single coil (EVOD). With organic japanese cotton wick, it works very nicely.

I'll look into this too Zombie, thanks :) I do enjoy my PT2 a bit more than my PT3 Mini, I dont know if its just in my head but the PT2 tastes so much better than the PT3 Mini, I also feel like the vapour is hotter in the PT3.. could just be in my head. The only thing that sets me back with the PT2 is the tight draw. Looking at getting one of those aero adaptors to improve the airflow a bit.

Nice one...I'm going to give that a go :D

If I remember right the groves are inline with the wicking holes. Just dont put to much pressure, that will actaully bend the coil drum and make it even harder. you just want enough pressure so that the spring plate moves that little bit so the chimney goes in. You can actually take the chimney off using this method as well.

20141218_112235.jpg

If you are really impatiant you can always take a block of wood. and drill a hole in it that is slightly bigger then the 510 thread. so that the coil will fit into the hole but the shoulder stops it from going all the way in. A really light love tap with a small hammer on the top of the chimney (I mean really light, think of the hammer as your big tow and the chimney as a coffee table) will seat it in very nicley

If I remember right the groves are inline with the wicking holes. Just dont put to much pressure, that will actaully bend the coil drum and make it even harder. you just want enough pressure so that the spring plate moves that little bit so the chimney goes in. You can actually take the chimney off using this method as well.

View attachment 17776

If you are really impatiant you can always take a block of wood. and drill a hole in it that is slightly bigger then the 510 thread. so that the coil will fit into the hole but the shoulder stops it from going all the way in. A really light love tap with a small hammer on the top of the chimney (I mean really light, think of the hammer as your big tow and the chimney as a coffee table) will seat it in very nicley

Very nice explanation...and with pictures! :rock:

I've learned the hard way to always be very gentle with these coils :D

Yip I have about 10 or 15 of them sitting here that was "circumcised"

Back