Punting Vs Being Helpful

A very interesting subject. In the spirit of free enterprise, perhaps vendors should be permitted to punt their wares as long as everyone knows that they are a vendor and that their comments and advice should be regarded with that in mind?

I think that would be an unmitigated disaster

I myself did not consider the MOD and admin when I made my earlier post about vendors responding to direct requests from the forum public, and I can see how this issue can quickly spiral out of hand.

But to respond to some other comments made, if I as a forum member offer my product advice to a product question, and I answer that request for info as a member of this forum having experience with said product and not as a vendor punting my product, then I can see no harm in answering a request for advice or info, as long as I do NOT punt my vendor or price or stock list.

I am simply helping one forum member as another forum member, the fact that I happen to be a vendor in that instance is pure chance. If I as a recognised vendor am unable to provide advice as a general forum member, then what purpose do I have on this forum other than to occasionally make post in my vendor forum about my products new or old.

Here is my opinion on how this should play out.

I support a forum member making a request for info, data or advice related to a product and I respond as another forum member not making reference to my vendor status, then that should be allowed.

If a forum member makes a request about stock availability or pre-order or price for that matter and they make that request in the general forum, then that same member making the request should creat another thread in the vendor forums making the request and then create link in the general thread they started to the new thread in the vendors forums space, and the vendors can then respond to the thread in the vendor forum thread in a mature and professional manner, the fact that there is a link back the general forum is as a result of a forum member creating the link.

The real issue here, aside from the potential chaos that could insue from uncontrolled vendor punting, is the matter of paid versus unpaid advertising. I can respect that.

Back