Ratios on existing e-liquids.

COA Tracks

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey everybody,

As per the advice of some of the members here, I upgraded from a Twisp to a Subox Mini. The universe is a changed place people....best move of 2016 thus far. So thanks to all those who encouraged the change. With the new device, which by the way, works like a freekin charm, other doors have opened. I am now trying my hand at making my own liquids. I have already made 2 batches which I am leaving to stand for a week (as advised by other experienced mixers which I met in store yesterday as luck would have it). But now while that is in process, I have gone ahead and bought the regular ready mixed liquid just to see me through until my batch has "matured". The liquids I do like are of the thinner variety and as it has been explained to me, not suited for the Subox because of the its thinness. So I would like to know if there is a recipe for thickening the ready made stuff so that it is suitable for the Subox. Is there someone who can advise on this or perhaps suggest a link or something I could go and check out to get that done properly.

Thanks,

Morné - Centurion

VG - vegetable glycerin is the thick stuff your looking for :)
Yes mate,

Thanks for your reply. I know that. What I want to know is what is the ratio to mix into the existing off the shelf stuff. How much VG and PG do I need to add to get it to the right consistency. Is there some sort of formula to work from. I added some VG to a Red Bull mix. It made it "thicker", but it is rather "dry" and not as smooth as what I am used to, there's a notable difference.

now your thin juice should have a ratio. perhaps its 50/50. if you wanted to thicken it up all you need to do is add some pure vg. this will dilute the flavour and its best if you can allow it a bit of steep time to mix evenly.

now your thin juice should have a ratio. perhaps its 50/50. if you wanted to thicken it up all you need to do is add some pure vg. this will dilute the flavour and its best if you can allow it a bit of steep time to mix evenly.
Perhaps that may be my problem,
I mixed it, shook it vigorously for about a minute, and then chucked it into the tank. Mt thinking was that as it is already "good to go", adding some VG would just thicken it and be ready to use...hmmm...I am still VERY new to this. I have VG and PG...was hoping that there might be a formula of sorts to get the mix right.

its a bit hit an miss actually. you can take 15ml nicoticket juice at 18mg dilute it down to 60ml and it will still retain alot of its flavour.

the best thing is to do a small 5ml sample and then test from there. often when diluting each juice has its own ratio it can be stretched to

its a bit hit an miss actually. you can take 15ml nicoticket juice at 18mg dilute it down to 60ml and it will still retain alot of its flavour.

the best thing is to do a small 5ml sample and then test from there. often when diluting each juice has its own ratio it can be stretched to
Ohh, now that you mention it, I don't use nicotine at all, I am just after the flavour. But, I get what you are saying. To clarify, when thickening thin liquids, I just have to add VG, and no PG? Is that correct?

just adding vg will get it to the thicker ratio but i prefer to add a little tiny bit of pg just to help carry the flavour

I can see no reason why the "thinner variety" juice should not work in your Subox tank. Maybe try it first.

I can see no reason why the "thinner variety" juice should not work in your Subox tank. Maybe try it first.
Hi Andre, I was advised against it, so I am rather sceptical. I was told that the thinner stuff will leak out of the tank and could lead to damage of the unit. Obviously I am trying to avoid that. The Twisp was a very basic machine so there was nothing fancy about its operation. Chuck the liquid in and off you go. The Subox is more of a serious piece of hardware, as I am sure you know. I don't want to risk damaging it due to inexperience. If someone will come forward and confirm that it is 100% safe to do so, then I'll give it a crack for sure...

Hi Andre, I was advised against it, so I am rather sceptical. I was told that the thinner stuff will leak out of the tank and could lead to damage of the unit. Obviously I am trying to avoid that. The Twisp was a very basic machine so there was nothing fancy about its operation. Chuck the liquid in and off you go. The Subox is more of a serious piece of hardware, as I am sure you know. I don't want to risk damaging it due to inexperience. If someone will come forward and confirm that it is 100% safe to do so, then I'll give it a crack for sure...

it will work fine.

the leaking is rather minor and was actually an issue with the coils and not the unit. its not like it will just pour out the second you fill it up but there may be some gargling.

it will work fine.

the leaking is rather minor and was actually an issue with the coils and not the unit. its not like it will just pour out the second you fill it up but there may be some gargling.
Thanks again Shaun. The batch I have in now is what I mixed earlier this morning. I had to drop the wattage from 20 down to 15 as it was a very strong sensation. I have significantly less cloud now but the taste is pretty much the same (hardly a difference). I'd like to keep the taste but would also like to increase the cloud to what it was prior. I am having a problem paying R 150 for 30ml of liquid. It's preposterous, I can't see the justification in that. So making my own liquids is by all accounts the way to go (in my personal opinion). I just need to get it spot on...but I appreciate the help and advice dispensed here. Much appreciated...

Thanks again Shaun. The batch I have in now is what I mixed earlier this morning. I had to drop the wattage from 20 down to 15 as it was a very strong sensation. I have significantly less cloud now but the taste is pretty much the same (hardly a difference). I'd like to keep the taste but would also like to increase the cloud to what it was prior. I am having a problem paying R 150 for 30ml of liquid. It's preposterous, I can't see the justification in that. So making my own liquids is by all accounts the way to go (in my personal opinion). I just need to get it spot on...but I appreciate the help and advice dispensed here. Much appreciated...

so perhaps slight adjustment with vg/pg and maybe speed steeping (hot water bath) could help you find the right mark.

taste is a very unique thing. i spent close to R600 for 2x 30ml bottles and its not to my liking , im currently vaping a diy thats most prob too sweet for anyone else to think off and im loving it.

so perhaps slight adjustment with vg/pg and maybe speed steeping (hot water bath) could help you find the right mark.

taste is a very unique thing. i spent close to R600 for 2x 30ml bottles and its not to my liking , im currently vaping a diy thats most prob too sweet for anyone else to think off and im loving it.
Ok. I have a 12 ml bottle as test sample. I added 6ml flavour (off the shelf mix, not concentrated), 3ml PG and 3ml VG. I have now submerged it in hot water. I will remove it from there in about a minute or 2 and then try it out.

Ok. I have a 12 ml bottle as test sample. I added 6ml flavour (off the shelf mix, not concentrated), 3ml PG and 3ml VG. I have now submerged it in hot water. I will remove it from there in about a minute or 2 and then try it out.

perhaps also you could add in shaking like crazy and repeating the process a few times

Why don't you try mixing a small batch with some PG. A few people I know much prefer it over VG. You may discover that you are one of the crazy ones like us.

Yes, the shaking I do ...but only once. You are suggesting I do it a few times?

most of my juices i steep the old fashioned way (leave them alone for a few weeks)

but when im in a hurry :

coffee frother on the end of a cordless drill. mix that up till its semi froth
then 10min in the ultrasonic

repeat about 3 times and then taste it

@COA Tracks
Diy is the way to go.
I been vaping commercial juice for a month now and it hits the pockets heavy at R300 a week. That's R1200 a month. You can basically buy a new mod every month at that price.
I got my diy kit this Friday that just passed and it's the best choice I made.
It cost me R550 but I got 500ml pg, 500ml vg, 100ml nic and 9 concentrations from vapeowave.
I've mixed 5 different juices 3 X 15ml and 2 X 30 ml bottles and I still got loads of ingredients to mix more.
Diy definitely the way to go.

Why don't you try mixing a small batch with some PG. A few people I know much prefer it over VG. You may discover that you are one of the crazy ones like us.
Hi Alex, thanks for commenting. I just made a fresh batch: 12ml bottle - 6ml Bleuberry 9off the shelf mixed, not concentrated) - 3ml VG - 3ml PG. Shook like crazy for about 1-2 minutes - dropped it in hot water for a further 1-2 minutes. Just tried it and the result is much better than my batch from earlier this morning. More cloud and the flavour is consistent, and pushed up the wattage from 15 to 20. Slowly making progress...but I think there can be improvement still.

@COA Tracks
Diy is the way to go.
I been vaping commercial juice for a month now and it hits the pockets heavy at R300 a week. That's R1200 a month. You can basically buy a new mod every month at that price.
I got my diy kit this Friday that just passed and it's the best choice I made.
It cost me R550 but I got 500ml pg, 500ml vg, 100ml nic and 9 concentrations from vapeowave.
I've mixed 5 different juices 3 X 15ml and 2 X 30 ml bottles and I still got loads of ingredients to mix more.
Diy definitely the way to go.
Hey mate, thanks for your comment. Snap, I bought my stuff at the same place yesterday morning, VapeOwave, 5 mins from my place on the bike. I made 2 X 100 ml batches using the calculator app the lady there suggested. I am leaving those to steep. But yes, I agree with you on the cost saver and is exactly why I am going that route. Thumbs up.

Back