Recommendations for scissors

NOOB

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi All,

I am on the hunt for a good quality, sharp pair of scissors that won't break the bank.

I have an Avid Artisan toolkit which contains everything you could ever need. Needle nose pliers, Wire clipplers, Ceramic tweezers, Elbow tweezers, Coil Jig, and a pair of scissors (the fold up kind), but these are as blunt as my Oupa's teeth, which drives me up the wall!! :-@

Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My go to is actually a small Swiss Army Knife. Really sharp scissors. And you'll find other uses too.

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it. Have some homework to do now.;-):thumbup:

Hi @NOOB

For about 3 years I've used these ones from Dischem

e455d5f56b678005adead3efbaf04f3d.jpg

They're very cheap (about R8), comfortable to use and they are sharp and always cut the wicks nicely. For me at least.

I bought a few of them. The two I am using now (one in my travel kit ) work perfectly. Admittedly one that I bought didn't work so well and on close inspection the screw keeping the blades together wasn't keeping them tightly together enough. So if you want to buy these, just check in the shop if the blades seem nice and tight when you cut.

Nevertheless the ones I am using are so good that I haven't needed to get others. I haven't tried more expensive scissors so can't really compare - but these have served me very well so far.

Paper clip in the photo is to show size. They are smallish but not too small.

Hope it helps.

PS - I found them near the checkout counters at Dischem a while back. Now they are probably in the cosmetics sections. Just ask them for the Dischem scissors.

Hi @NOOB

They're very cheap (about R8), comfortable to use and they are sharp and always cut the wicks nicely. For me at least.

I bought a few of them. The two I am using now (one in my travel kit ) work perfectly. Admittedly one that I bought didn't work so well and on close inspection the screw keeping the blades together wasn't keeping them tightly together enough. So if you want to buy these, just check in the shop if the blades seem nice and tight when you cut.

Nevertheless the ones I am using are so good that I haven't needed to get others. I haven't tried more expensive scissors so can't really compare - but these have served me very well so far.

Hope it helps.

PS - I found them near the checkout counters at Dischem a while back. Now they are probably in the cosmetics sections. Just ask them for the Dischem scissors.

Bought a few pairs of these recently- price is now around R20 each. Work well for the price, seem to stay sharp as well. Trick is to only use them to cut cotton (not to snip dangling wire ends, cutting sticky tape, etc).

Use the bottom of a coffee mug preferably porcelain type to sharpen scissors in a pinch. Works for knives as well although would recommend getting a decent sharpener.

Hi @NOOB

Hope it helps.

Thanks @Silver

A great trick for sharpening scissors.

1. Buy or borrow some heavy duty tin foil
2. Fold tin foil into a strip of 4 layers
3. Cut strip with scissors.
The more you cut the sharper the scissors will get.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back