Refurbish Kbox mini

@DaveH the issue is, Gold aerosol cans never looks gold! Why don't you try a Hammertone? I think its the only way to really make you mod look DIFFERENT

Definitely agree, I think gold in any paint is a hard one to portray as it usually just appears to be brass.

@DaveH your Subox painting skills are top drawer, its just a question of finding the finish that you're going to like. :)

Definitely agree, I think gold in any paint is a hard one to portray as it usually just appears to be brass.

@DaveH your Subox painting skills are top drawer, its just a question of finding the finish that you're going to like. :)

Thanks, I also agree it will always look just like a "paint job" with yellowish paint the anodizing would have been different.
I could get it powder coated maybe White :rofl:
Dave

See if it looks better with a tank it may look better with a black tank (only I don't have)
IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

I'm beginning to like the polished look :rolleyes: :rofl:
The good thing is it will soon be Christmas - lets have some nuts!:)
Dave

Looks quite nice, not too bad at all.
Does it sparkle more in direct sunlight or still that satin look?
Much nicer with the polished tank, I think the black tank might make it look too top heavy.

Looks quite nice, not too bad at all.
Does it sparkle more in direct sunlight or still that satin look?
Thanks blujeenz, I will have look when the sun shines :)
I haven't really looked at it in the sun light maybe it will look better - just have to wait for the sun to shine.
Dave

Last edited:
I decided to go with a brushed finish
IMG_1989.jpg
IMG_1999.jpg
IMG_2000.jpg
IMG_1998.jpg

So that's it - till next time :dance:
Thank you all for your comments and you accompaniment I hope you enjoyed it :)
Dave

That looks super awesome!! What did you do to get the brushed finish? What did you use as a clear coat?
Thanks Pixstar. Rob Fisher has a (or two) 'Custom Classic Mods' they are 'brush' finished and no clear coat, so no clear coat on mine.
To get the brushed finish I used a 3M Scotch-Brite hand pad - the maroon one which is called 'very fine' the 3M no. is 7447.
You can get Scotch brite wheels - a bit expensive, so I use the hand pads.
Dave

Wow @DaveH that looks very different to the average Subox and an awesome application of a brushed finish, looks like one of Robs high end machined devices, vastly better than the great paint job previously.

@Pixstar totally agree, awesome application, curious about the clear coat too?
I've quite enjoyed this thread, its been quite the cliffhanger in places and now with a happy ending. :)

Thanks Pixstar. Rob Fisher has a (or two) 'Custom Classic Mods' they are 'brush' finished and no clear coat, so no clear coat on mine.
To get the brushed finish I used a 3M Scotch-Brite hand pad - the maroon one which is called 'very fine' the 3M no. is 7447.
You can get Scotch brite wheels - a bit expensive, so I use the hand pads.
Dave
Thanks Dave, and thanks for sharing your Kbox's transformation journey, so many tips. Will definitely refer to this when it's time to give mine a fresh look!

Wow Dave :O. Absolutely beautiful . Well worth the effort

Also curious as to how you did the brushed finish . Scourer pad ?
Thanks Khan,
I think there are quite a few methods, the way I do it is to hold the item I wish to brush in my hand. The pad is laid on a flat surface.
You do need the item to have a good surface finish it does not need to be highly polished but it does need to be free from scratch marks.
What one doesn't do is rub the hand pad over the item it will come out a mess and don't do it a to and fro motion that will mess it up.
The way to do it first wet the pad and place it on the flat surface then gently but firmly draw the item towards you slowly not too hard to start with.
The idea is to keep the item straight and with even pressure without distorting the pad underneath too much.
If you don't keep it straight or you distort the pad too much the lines will not be straight.
Do it a few times have a look see it the lines look good - if not apply more pressure. It is just a case of keeping an even pressure and straight.
After 6 passes rinse the pad and put it back exactly as it was - don't turn it over or around.
In the case of my Kbox start with the open end towards you and as you get to the curve rotate the box so half the curve is brushed then do the other side.
Khan I'm certain you would be able to it, it just sounds difficult - it's not, one just has to be careful.

Dave

Wow @DaveH that looks very different to the average Subox and an awesome application of a brushed finish, looks like one of Robs high end machined devices, vastly better than the great paint job previously.
Thank you, and thanks blujeenz for propping me up along the way.
:)
Dave

Thanks Khan,
I think there are quite a few methods, the way I do it is to hold the item I wish to brush in my hand. The pad is laid on a flat surface.
You do need the item to have a good surface finish it does not need to be highly polished but it does need to be free from scratch marks.
What one doesn't do is rub the hand pad over the item it will come out a mess and don't do it a to and fro motion that will mess it up.
The way to do it first wet the pad and place it on the flat surface then gently but firmly draw the item towards you slowly not too hard to start with.
The idea is to keep the item straight and with even pressure without distorting the pad underneath too much.
If you don't keep it straight or you distort the pad too much the lines will not be straight.
Do it a few times have a look see it the lines look good - if not apply more pressure. It is just a case of keeping an even pressure and straight.
After 6 passes rinse the pad and put it back exactly as it was - don't turn it over or around.
In the case of my Kbox start with the open end towards you and as you get to the curve rotate the box so half the curve is brushed then do the other side.
Khan I'm certain you would be able to it, it just sounds difficult - it's not, one just has to be careful.

Dave
Thanks Dave , appreciate the detailed walk through. Definitely giving this a try on mine:)

@DaveH Dude, seriously, that looks the BOMB man! Great work! I'm just concerned about oxidation on the metal there....... guess we'll have to wait and see.

Back